Two NY firefighters shot dead

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
H. Christ.

The story now is saying that the shooter probably set the fire to draw them in.

Thats immediately what I figured when I heard. Only thing that makes sense.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
Thats immediately what I figured when I heard. Only thing that makes sense.

In case you haven't seen the full version, he's a former felon, spent like 17 years in jail after killing his grandmother in ~1980.

Nothing on a specific motive or reason for this attack yet.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Yes, "decrees" usually contain weak statements like "seems"

I was referring to the "the absurdity of anti-gun control arguments" comment, as if every anti-gun control argument is wrong. It's great you think that way. Other reasonable and intelligent people disagree.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Actually this guy already ceded his 2nd amendment rights by being a convicted felon. So aside from banning guns (something you earlier said you didn't want to do) what could've stopped this?

I think he killed his grandmother with a hammer. We really need a hammer ban. if it just saved one life, it would be worth it.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Actually this guy already ceded his 2nd amendment rights by being a convicted felon. So aside from banning guns (something you earlier said you didn't want to do) what could've stopped this?

Might be interesting to see how he got the guns. Gun show? Might be fruitful to talk about private sales in terms of gun legislation. I can't sell my privately owned Vicodin, maybe it won't hurt if I have to go through an intermediary to sell my gun. I traded some stereo equipment for a Glock on Craigslist and I was shocked that that is legal.

Beyond that, my biggest takeaway from this crime is that it brings into focus our punitive corrections system and how it fails to rehabilitate people like this killer who clearly had some problems. Our blood lust to punish interferes with our ability to reintegrate these folks and try to make them productive members of society.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Might be interesting to see how he got the guns. Gun show? Might be fruitful to talk about private sales in terms of gun legislation. I can't sell my privately owned Vicodin, maybe it won't hurt if I have to go through an intermediary to sell my gun. I traded some stereo equipment for a Glock on Craigslist and I was shocked that that is legal.

Beyond that, my biggest takeaway from this crime is that it brings into focus our punitive corrections system and how it fails to rehabilitate people like this killer who clearly had some problems. Our blood lust to punish interferes with our ability to reintegrate these folks and try to make them productive members of society.

Some people can't be rehabilitated. And some don't want to. The true problems come with what do you do with those two classes of people. From what I read, this guy didn't want his parole even though he was supposedly a model prisoner. They gave it to him anyway.