Two NY firefighters shot dead

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 01:02 AM)
Might be interesting to see how he got the guns. Gun show? Might be fruitful to talk about private sales in terms of gun legislation. I can't sell my privately owned Vicodin, maybe it won't hurt if I have to go through an intermediary to sell my gun. I traded some stereo equipment for a Glock on Craigslist and I was shocked that that is legal.

Beyond that, my biggest takeaway from this crime is that it brings into focus our punitive corrections system and how it fails to rehabilitate people like this killer who clearly had some problems. Our blood lust to punish interferes with our ability to reintegrate these folks and try to make them productive members of society.

If you want to take it farther...it's also another case of failure of society to deal with some variety of mental illness.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
I think he killed his grandmother with a hammer. We really need a hammer ban. if it just saved one life, it would be worth it.

Doesn't the argument "since A can kill people we should allow B" seem sophomoric to you? I am assuming that you are intelligent enough to realize that a gun is a far more efficient killing machine than a hammer.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
I think he killed his grandmother with a hammer. We really need a hammer ban. if it just saved one life, it would be worth it.

Doesn't the argument "since A can kill people we should allow B" seem sophomoric to you? I am assuming that you are intelligent enough to realize that a gun is a far more efficient killing machine than a hammer.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)

you'll have to explain the word "sophomoric" to him first. ;)

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Might be interesting to see how he got the guns. Gun show? Might be fruitful to talk about private sales in terms of gun legislation. I can't sell my privately owned Vicodin, maybe it won't hurt if I have to go through an intermediary to sell my gun. I traded some stereo equipment for a Glock on Craigslist and I was shocked that that is legal.

Beyond that, my biggest takeaway from this crime is that it brings into focus our punitive corrections system and how it fails to rehabilitate people like this killer who clearly had some problems. Our blood lust to punish interferes with our ability to reintegrate these folks and try to make them productive members of society.

From what I read a 'friend' bought them for him, and is now being prosecuted as a straw buyer. I just can't find the link anymore.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
From what I read a 'friend' bought them for him, and is now being prosecuted as a straw buyer. I just can't find the link anymore.

At least somebody gets held responsible. Too bad we have to lose two good men first.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
At least somebody gets held responsible. Too bad we have to lose two good men first.

Well it was already illegal for him to purchase or possess guns, and there were already laws about straw purchasing, so unless you have a few precogs hiding around somewhere, not too much else you can do. Limiting clip size or scary looking guns would not have made a difference.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 09:35 PM)
Well it was already illegal for him to purchase or possess guns, and there were already laws about straw purchasing, so unless you have a few precogs hiding around somewhere, not too much else you can do. Limiting clip size or scary looking guns would not have made a difference.

Of course, if it were illegal to have made that assault rifle in the first place, it could never have been bought for him. Not having that rifle would have made him much less skilled at killing people, particularly at range.

Of course, if it were illegal to have made that assault rifle in the first place, it could never have been bought for him. Not having that rifle would have made him much less skilled at killing people, particularly at range.

Oh so we just close off the entire domestic market for semi-automatic rifles. So like drugs they will be repulsed at the border by our impervious wall of lazy government employees.

That'll work wonders.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 12:15 AM)
Oh so we just close off the entire domestic market for semi-automatic rifles. So like drugs they will be repulsed at the border by our impervious wall of lazy government employees.

That'll work wonders.

Luckily, unlike drugs, almost all the guns in the USA are made in the USA. Takes a fair amount more (conspicuous) infrastructure to make a gun than a plant as well.

Luckily, unlike drugs, almost all the guns in the USA are made in the USA. Takes a fair amount more (conspicuous) infrastructure to make a gun than a plant as well.

I love it when people have NO f***ING IDEA what they're talking about.

Three of the most popular rifles to own in the USA are Soviet (SKS, AK-47 and Mosin-Nagant). The 47, which is like the poster child for SCARY ASSAULT CLIP BABY SEEKING FIRE GUNS, also happens to be by far the most popular rifle in the world.

Edited by DukeNukeEm