Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
There is actually a nice follow up to that article from an opposing viewpoint. I rarely read comments but it was the first one and caught my eye. I don't mind a few minutes of turning off my electronics.

You really think there if there's a chance that someone's personal electronic device could cause a plane to go down that their best way to prevent such a calamity is to kindly ask people to turn them off and hope that people listen? If there was any chance that these devices could cause something like that then they'd certainly ban them from being brought onto a plane. The fact that pilots can use them in the cockpit proves this.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
There is actually a nice follow up to that article from an opposing viewpoint. I rarely read comments but it was the first one and caught my eye. I don't mind a few minutes of turning off my electronics.

I turn off my electronics. I saw a special a couple years ago on it and it mentioned that certain malfunctioning electronics can interfere with the radar system etc and it showed the waves and how busted phones, etc would create minor blips in the electronics.

I'd rather be overly careful. And I'm not saying that it would cause the plane to crash but it might cause a situation where the pilot doesn't correct for it. It did go on to say (in the study) that they never had it come up with something that would have caused a hazard to fly (which couldn't be addressed by the pilot).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
I turn off my electronics. I saw a special a couple years ago on it and it mentioned that certain malfunctioning electronics can interfere with the radar system etc and it showed the waves and how busted phones, etc would create minor blips in the electronics.

I'd rather be overly careful.

So apparently there is no risk that the ipads which pilots use in the cockpit can't malfunction.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
So apparently there is no risk that the ipads which pilots use in the cockpit can't malfunction.

I'm going to assume...same risk.....which is incredibly low and they don't care? One other theory I always had was they just wanted cell phones off because someone fiddling with them would be distracted during takeoff and landing (but they leave the tvs on during landing). But I don't know anything other then the special showing the different waves but again it went on to say that while some devices can cause this, they still didn't throw off anything.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
I'm going to assume...same risk.....which is incredibly low and they don't care? One other theory I always had was they just wanted cell phones off because someone fiddling with them would be distracted during takeoff and landing (but they leave the tvs on during landing). But I don't know anything other then the special showing the different waves but again it went on to say that while some devices can cause this, they still didn't throw off anything.

So yeah...it's a crock of s***.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)

If people can't shut their damn phones and tabs off for 15 minutes prior to takeoff and landing, then they are certainly welcome to drive or take a boat to their destinations.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
If people can't shut their damn phones and tabs off for 15 minutes prior to takeoff and landing, then they are certainly welcome to drive or take a boat to their destinations.

The "because I said so" rationale. Not a big fan. Give me some concrete reasons why I should.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)

It would seem easier to determine that the pilot,s iPad is malfunctioning when it is the only one turned on. Funny we gave up nail clippers and water to fly but not iPads and cell phones.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)

f*** that, let me read my nook instead of your crappy in-flight magazines or skymall.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
It would seem easier to determine that the pilot,s iPad is malfunctioning when it is the only one turned on. Funny we gave up nail clippers and water to fly but not iPads and cell phones.

those are also dumb things that shouldn't be used an excuse for other bad policies.

This. Airline travel isn't some sort of right or obligation. It is a (mostly) private business structure where companies can make whatever rules they want to.

I agree 100%. Alec Baldwin can go f*** himself and fly privately if he can't go 15 minutes without playing Words with Friends.