Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my f***ing god, this online test for Cook County to "avoid conviction" for my whopping 73/55 is ridiculous. It times out the "continue" button regardless of how quickly you can read. I'm stuck here waiting 30 seconds to a minute beyond when I'm done reading.

I just got a 100% on the "assessment", but apparently that's not good enough to skip this.

Stupid Cook County.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
Oh my f***ing god, this online test for Cook County to "avoid conviction" for my whopping 73/55 is ridiculous. It times out the "continue" button regardless of how quickly you can read. I'm stuck here waiting 30 seconds to a minute beyond when I'm done reading.

I just got a 100% on the "assessment", but apparently that's not good enough to skip this.

Stupid Cook County.

I might actually stop speeding this thing is taking so long (I did take a one hour lunch break, but I'm still not done waiting and waiting).

Just found out that my great-great uncle, Clarence (Billy, Clare) Finucane played with the White Sox during their ST in Pasadena in 1938. He also played for a few minor league affiliates. We have some pictures at home of him wearing the big league club's uni and stuff at home. Real cool and I can't believe I didn't know it, proud to be a Sox fan :)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 04:47 AM)
Just found out that my great-great uncle, Clarence (Billy, Clare) Finucane played with the White Sox during their ST in Pasadena in 1938. He also played for a few minor league affiliates. We have some pictures at home of him wearing the big league club's uni and stuff at home. Real cool and I can't believe I didn't know it, proud to be a Sox fan :)

That's a very cool thing to find out.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 01:49 AM)
That's a very cool thing to find out.

Also, he and the rest of that part of my family hail from Cappamore, Ireland! Apparently that is in the general vicinity of Limerick, though it appears to be a really small and rather isolated community from Google Maps.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
Also, he and the rest of that part of my family hail from Cappamore, Ireland! Apparently that is in the general vicinity of Limerick, though it appears to be a really small and rather isolated community from Google Maps.

Interesting. When you say "hail from", was he actually born there himself or just that the family's origins were there.

Yeah, it's near Limerick alright. A small enough spot, as you say.

Amazing it never came up in conversation all these years. You must've been absolutely buzzing when you found out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
Anyone interested in buying a used Shuttle launch pad? Only used about 125 times.

http://blog.al.com/huntsville-times-busine...tle_launch.html

That's a mad coincidence. I was just saying to my missus there earlier, when we were having our dinner, that I felt our back garden lacked a "certain something".

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
That's a mad coincidence. I was just saying to my missus there earlier, when we were having our dinner, that I felt our back garden lacked a "certain something".

Good place for a Florida Winter Holiday home. #mindthejets

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Interesting. When you say "hail from", was he actually born there himself or just that the family's origins were there.

Yeah, it's near Limerick alright. A small enough spot, as you say.

Amazing it never came up in conversation all these years. You must've been absolutely buzzing when you found out.

The baseball player was born in Chicago. His father (we call him "Grandpa Finny" though he's my great-great grandfather) was born and raised in Cappamore and was a prize fighter who fought in Chicago and the surrounding areas. http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/bfinuc.htm

I came across this picture of Clare playing for some team in Minneapolis: http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/...ps2ed6ae12.jpeg

And here he is, behind the plate in Pasadena for the ChiSox: 4072607345_f232317f20_o.jpg

Anyways, I suppose it doesn't accomplish much to know these things but it makes me proud regardless. The story everyone tells at the Finucane family reunions was about the prize fighter, so I never realized there was someone with a connection to a sport (and team) much closer to my heart. The kicker is that he was supposedly a Cubs fan :P

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Anyone know when companies generally start posting summer internships? I keep checking daily for some newspapers and nada. Though I don't even know where I'd look.

What area are you looking into? Most companies looking for business and engineering internships filled up in the Fall, though there are still plenty of companies who changed their mind/expanded their programs/etc still looking for interns.