Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 31, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Curious, why is it so important to observe the birth of Jesus on the same exact day every year but Easter always falls on a different day? #lame #no_day_off_from_work

"Easter Day is the first Sunday after the full moon which happens upon, or next after the 21st day of March; and if the full moon happens upon a Sunday, Easter Day is the Sunday after."

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 31, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
Curious, why is it so important to observe the birth of Jesus on the same exact day every year but Easter always falls on a different day? #lame #no_day_off_from_work

If I'm not mistaken, it's the connection between the last supper and passover which is based upon the lunar cycle.

I agree that it's crazy. I wish they'd just pick a single date every year (or the nearest Sunday).

This is from wikipedia:

The two most widespread proposals for fixing the date of Easter would set it on either the second Sunday in April (8 to 14), or the Sunday after the second Saturday in April (9 to 15). In both schemes, account has been taken of the fact that—in spite of the many difficulties in establishing the dates of the historical events involved—many scholars attribute a high degree of probability to Friday April 7, 30, as the date of the crucifixion of Jesus, which would make April 9 the date of the Resurrection. Another date which is supported by many scholars is April 3, 33, making April 5 the date of the Resurrection. Many churches, including the Roman Catholic Church, have stated that they have no objection in principle to fixing the date of Easter in this way, but no serious discussions have yet taken place on implementing such a change.

Either way, we have a general idea of when it happened, so I like the idea of the second sunday in April.

I think the biggest problem is that there isn't really any way to officially make a change. Easter is a Christian holiday, but not an official holiday in any country, so there it's not like the US, EU and others can just get together and make the change. Every Christian denomination decides on its own when to celebrate Easter, and through time as they have all branched off from Catholicism they have all kept the same calculation for Easter. What if the Catholic church decided to change to a fixed Sunday but major Protestant denominations didn't? That would make Easter even more confusing.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)
What if the Catholic church decided to change to a fixed Sunday but major Protestant denominations didn't? That would make Easter even more confusing.

I think the only denomination with enough power to change it for everyone is the catholic church. And honestly, I dont think any denominations would protest too much if a group of denominations like catholic, methodist, lutheran, ect all agreed. the rest would go along.

As someone who used to work for a church, I think we'd have been delighted if there was some consistency to the schedule.

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't. It is more rooted on a history of 2000 years that made different decisions at different times, for different reasons.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
It's pretty commonly accepted that he was a real person. You can argue about what he means, his life and his actions (or lack thereof) all you want, but his existence itself isn't really much in question

Just because its commonly accepted, does not mean that it is true. It was commonly accepted the Earth was the center of the universe.

I dont even know how you would prove or disprove this. Who is even Jesus? Are we just saying that at one point there was some Jewish guy making trouble and he was crucified? Or are we saying that a verifiable deity existed.

If its the former, sure, a bunch of Jews have been murdered by the Romans, and I suspect even a few were killed for causing the Jewish establishment trouble. If its the latter, Im not so sure.

But that is why its a difficult argument, first people have to define what they mean by "commonly accepted that he was a real person."

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
Just because its commonly accepted, does not mean that it is true. It was commonly accepted the Earth was the center of the universe.

I dont even know how you would prove or disprove this. Who is even Jesus? Are we just saying that at one point there was some Jewish guy making trouble and he was crucified? Or are we saying that a verifiable deity existed.

If its the former, sure, a bunch of Jews have been murdered by the Romans, and I suspect even a few were killed for causing the Jewish establishment trouble. If its the latter, Im not so sure.

But that is why its a difficult argument, first people have to define what they mean by "commonly accepted that he was a real person."

All three major western religions vary on who he was and on his importance, but they all are in agreement on his existence. I never studied much from that time period but I know that the majority of scholars agree on his probably existence.

What is commonly accepted by sectarian historical scholars is that there was a Jewish guy named Jesus who was born sometime around 3BC and made some outrageous claims that led to him being crucified sometime around 30AD.

That he performed miracles while alive and that he was resurrected after his death are of course, not commonly accepted.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
What is commonly accepted by sectarian historical scholars is that there was a Jewish guy named Jesus who was born sometime around 3BC and made some outrageous claims that led to him being crucified sometime around 30AD.

That he performed miracles while alive and that he was resurrected after his death are of course, not commonly accepted.

This is what I recall from my early college days as well.

That cant be right.

Jesus Christ is greek, no Hebrew was born "Jesus". Likely name could have been Yeshua (Joshua).

Also, Muslims and Christians are in agreement that he existed, Jews it depends on the person.

Ive done a lot of research, I have never been able to find what I consider to be reliable evidence. There is evidence, I just think that its suspect at best.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Ive done a lot of research, I have never been able to find what I consider to be reliable evidence. There is evidence, I just think that its suspect at best.

It's not great evidence, but the idea that he was made up out of whole cloth, rather than an actual guy who was made legendary, seems unlikely to me.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
It's not great evidence, but the idea that he was made up out of whole cloth, rather than an actual guy who was made legendary, seems unlikely to me.

Well I think the most likely scenario is that Jesus is a compilation of multiple people that did actually exist or that he was just John the Baptist, but later people decided to create a more mythical figure.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/03/suspe...test=latestnews

The Mingo County Sheriff Eugene Crum was gunned down inside his vehicle after a car drove up and shot him at 'point blank' range, The West Virginia Gazette reported.

Apparently amidst all our debate about whether or not to take guns away from people, we forgot to take guns away from cars . . .

The reaction this guy has after being told that he and his family are late and cannot board their flight is incredible. What a pathetic and frightening display. He would have been tased and in cuffs like 11 seconds into the clip if this took place in America. Oh, and added to the no-fly list. Looks like his plane was either still at the gate or in push-back (and thusly visible through the window), and he thought they could stop and let him hop on much like a bus that sometimes holds on if someone is clearly sprinting to make it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013...rt-flight-video

I can't believe this went on for more than 3 minutes.

Russ, I'd like to lodge a complaint. A van that loudly declared it belongs to your company was driving waaaaay too slow in the far left lane on 35W on my way to the gym this morning. I expect this matter to be dealt with quickly and severely!

:P