Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's sort of along those lines, "remember the time we got bombed, a bunch of sailors were killed and we were dragged into a global war with Spaghettios!"

It's like that Marriott in San Diego or wherever that had free muffins for an hour in memory of 9/11. Ok, you're trying to make a gesture, but don't do it in such a ridiculous way.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
So (humble brag, btw) Ohio State is offering me a funded position into a PhD program there and when I told my dad the good news, the first thing he says is "now you can finally get that tattoo you wanted"

What program/major and congrats and buck the f***eyes.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
I don't see the problem with the Spaghettio's thing.

My guess is complaints follow the idea that you should not profit from tragedy. This looks like an ad for spaghettiOs not a dignified memorial. Most companies just place their name on an iconic image or some more subdued image. Having your mascot smiling in an ad is possibly over the top.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
So (humble brag, btw) Ohio State is offering me a funded position into a PhD program there and when I told my dad the good news, the first thing he says is "now you can finally get that tattoo you wanted"

Awesome. Toss out some details. It ain't braggin' if you done it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:46 AM)
What program/major and congrats and buck the f***eyes.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:26 AM)
Awesome. Toss out some details. It ain't braggin' if you done it.

There, I would be getting a PhD in communication. I specialize in political entertainment and news (specifically, the fact that the perceived difference between those things is just that: perceived) and their effects on public opinion, knowledge, deliberation. I like to combine critical/literary/theoretical approaches with social scientific research, which is something they do there.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
I am at that point where I am looking at some literature programs. I wish I had done this before kids and career. Even the funded positions are really funded enough.

Do you mean "aren't" funded enough? Then yes, I agree, especially when you have a family like you said. Texas schools (I'm thinking mostly of UT-A) have been notorious for yanking funding out from underneath people when their budget gets cut, which is part of the reason I didn't bother applying there, despite their strength in my interests. Competitive funding on a yearly basis is the last thing you want.

One of the big draws for Ohio State is that if I get the fellowship, I'm looking at $2,000/month for 9 months and I think that should stretch quite a bit in Columbus. For instance, I think that might be better than the ~$22,000-$25,000 I could get from Northwestern if accepted there due to COL.

Big factor for me is my girlfriend/fiance is seeking a lit PhD as well and our financial situation (again, with no "strings" attached like children) would be much less dire if we are somewhere that we can live together. I'm guessing we could make Evanston/Milwaukee or Madison/Milwaukee work, for instance. She's also applying to OSU so we'll be anxiously awaiting word on that.

I cut my pay in half from VP Sales to college student / teacher. Cutting in half again for a PhD program is really tough. Texas Tech has a Rhet/Comp program that is basically on-line except for two weeks at the end of May where you are on campus. Nice, but I'm not really interested in Rhet/Comp. My main reason for seeking a program is the intellectual challenge, the name recognition of the program is secondary. So I'm considering smaller programs where I could possibly teach AP courses at a high school or Community College and attend classes.

Congrats on doing it when you are young.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
I cut my pay in half from VP Sales to college student / teacher. Cutting in half again for a PhD program is really tough. Texas Tech has a Rhet/Comp program that is basically on-line except for two weeks at the end of May where you are on campus. Nice, but I'm not really interested in Rhet/Comp. My main reason for seeking a program is the intellectual challenge, the name recognition of the program is secondary. So I'm considering smaller programs where I could possibly teach AP courses at a high school or Community College and attend classes.

Congrats on doing it when you are young.

I would say a bigger congrats to you for pursuing it almost solely for the love of doing it -- I wish more people understood the benefits of humanistic study, just for the sake of doing it

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
Walmart grocery is cheapest place by me unless I want to drive 30 mins to Woodmans in Kenosha.

I hate grocery shopping. People are rude and inconsiderate in the aisles or just don't pay attention. Once in awhile I'll go to just get a few things and go in the express lane and it never fails I get behind someone with over 20 items. Workers don't say anything and I don't blame them. I think if that happens, an extra $10 fee is in order.

We go grocery shopping every two weeks. We set a budget, make a list of what we want to buy, look for sales, cut coupons and still end up going over budget almost every time.

I just hate the amount of time and energy it takes from start to finish. From making the list, checking the pantry and fridge to see what we have and what we need, spending 2-3 hours in the store, loading it all in the car, carrying it into the house and then putting it all away.

Not to mention going to multiple stores when one is sold out of something.

Walmart grocery is cheapest place by me unless I want to drive 30 mins to Woodmans in Kenosha.

I hate grocery shopping. People are rude and inconsiderate in the aisles or just don't pay attention. Once in awhile I'll go to just get a few things and go in the express lane and it never fails I get behind someone with over 20 items. Workers don't say anything and I don't blame them. I think if that happens, an extra $10 fee is in order.

No Aldi near you? We switched from Kroger to Aldi about 2 years ago and we probably cut 35-40% from our grocery bill. There are a few things we use that Aldi doesn't carry so we still end up at Kroger about once/month, but man Aldi is cheap.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
We go grocery shopping every two weeks. We set a budget, make a list of what we want to buy, look for sales, cut coupons and still end up going over budget almost every time.

I just hate the amount of time and energy it takes from start to finish. From making the list, checking the pantry and fridge to see what we have and what we need, spending 2-3 hours in the store, loading it all in the car, carrying it into the house and then putting it all away.

Not to mention going to multiple stores when one is sold out of something.

Aldi is good for the basics. I always thought it was off-brand/generic stuff, but you can get the same exact item at Aldi that you'd find in a Jewel for 50% less.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
No Aldi near you? We switched from Kroger to Aldi about 2 years ago and we probably cut 35-40% from our grocery bill. There are a few things we use that Aldi doesn't carry so we still end up at Kroger about once/month, but man Aldi is cheap.

Great minds think alike.

Aldi is too irregular with things that I need for me to go there frequently.

Right now I go to Butera in elgin for my meat and fruit/vegetables, and go to Jewel for pretty much everything else.

I used to go to Valli food in Hoffman Estates/Schaumburg before we moved to Sleepy Hollow. I miss that place, their prices were better than everywhere else near me.