Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

For all but a few months of my life, my dad has been on the Kankakee School Board. Today was his last day and from the sounds of it, everyone was there. Friends and enemies were both there, some who hadn't been there in years.

For my entire life, my dad on that board has been one of the few constants and everyday he worked so hard to make sure that the students of #111 could be in a good position to succeed as long as he was there. He visited schools all the time, he brought dreidels and read Hanukkah stories every year to elementary school kids and then gave them chocolate gelt coins.

He was accused of so many falsities that I don't care to list them. But they were all lies. People said he didn't care about the students when I don't know if I know someone who ever cared more.

It's a testament to you when on your last day, all the friends and enemies return. Because it means you never backed down from your morals and what you believe. Never backed down from standing up for the kids who needed a voice.

Case in point, the LGBT Club at KHS. Some may remember my status a few months ago where a homophobic bigot insulted those students, trying to deny them a place in KHS's halls.

As my dad wrapped up his speech, he said that the district doesn't have white kids, African-American kids, or Hispanic kids. It just has kids. Kids who want to learn and succeed.

As he finished he said may God bless every one of the students. The homophobe said that in this Christian nation, they have no place.

My dad got the last word. He then said that may God bless all of the students, especially the lesbian and gay kids.

He didn't want to run for his last term, he really didn't. But he did for me. So he could hand me my diploma (as well as James and Charris). Then he finished his term protecting some of my friends, some of whom I doubt he'll ever know were so close to me.

I don't know if I can ever be prouder of someone than I am of my Dad. He's the greatest human I know and I hope that one day I can be a fraction of the person he is.

Dad, you don't have Facebook, but I love you. And for a night, I really hope that everyone understood how much you loved all the kids of District #111.

My current facebook status. Don't know why I felt the need to post it here, but I did.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears without fur are really creepy.

20091103_zaf_e47_294-dolores-1.jpg

Reposting this.

http://new.livestream.com/quidditch/worldcup

The Lost Boys vs. Bowling Green State University game is something that is now universally being accepted as the best quidditch match of all time.

The video quality could be better...the audio was the result of the microphones breaking and having to use a web cam mic. We needed a better connection, causing the video quality to go from HD to non-HD at times.

But the LB vs. BGSU game was amazing. It lasted around 3 times the average game length and featured both teams giving their all on the field. A Lost Boys player played with a broken hand (which we later found out was his shooting hand). BG was hurting from hard fouls all day long from numerous teams. Just. Wow.

(Yeah, I know this sounds nerdy, but whatever)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
sounds like you married a woman

no, she has some very serious emotional issues.

Apparently years ago she chased her brother down a hallway with a pair of scissors, then when he closed the door she stabled the door. SHe's put a dent in our family room wall when she threw a hair brush at it.