Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These May 1st protests where everyone's walking into the city are much more comical if you imagine them protesting bad White Sox baseball.

Why are people protesting May 1st? Do they think it comes too early--that April should have 31 days?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 1, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Why are people protesting May 1st? Do they think it comes too early--that April should have 31 days?

It's May Day, the internationally celebrated Labor Day, pretty big in Europe. The US made ours in September to make sure we didn't associate it with those dirty commies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Workers'_Day

Celebrated in dozens of countries going back the 1880's. It started as a commemoration of the Haymarket affair in Chicago, a pro-labor/anarchist protest for 8-hour working days and other labor rights that turned deadly. It's widely believed that the suspects were railroaded and not given anything close to a fair trial; this was a period in this country when it was common for police and "private detective agencies" to violently break strikes and worker organization efforts. Unfortunately, this still happens in many developing countries, and there's plenty of other forms of intimidation in the US against organizing.

edit: in the US, because it's not an official holiday, it's mainly celebrated by leftists. In many European countries, it's the equivalent (and really original version) of our Labor Day.

Edited by StrangeSox

I've fallen in love with the Tesla S

model-s-sigred-front3qtr_960x640_0.jpg

I'm hoping the price gets lower in the next 3-4 years when I'm looking at cars again. My office has 5 super-chargers in the parking lot for our employees so that would be super convenient as well.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
I've fallen in love with the Tesla S

model-s-sigred-front3qtr_960x640_0.jpg

I'm hoping the price gets lower in the next 3-4 years when I'm looking at cars again. My office has 5 super-chargers in the parking lot for our employees so that would be super convenient as well.

Yep, they're pretty awesome.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Some Pennsylvania woman who'd been missing for 11 years and declared dead showed up the other day:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/pennsylva....html?hpt=hp_t1

I imagine the husband, who was once a suspect in her disappearance, is grateful that Nancy Grace didn't have a show back then.

Yikes. Alien-looking lady there.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Some Pennsylvania woman who'd been missing for 11 years and declared dead showed up the other day:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/pennsylva....html?hpt=hp_t1

I imagine the husband, who was once a suspect in her disappearance, is grateful that Nancy Grace didn't have a show back then.

What a selfish b**** to put her kids through that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
How could they not bring charges for wasting tax payer money like that. There's gotta be something on the books to cover a situation like this.

I doubt it. She didn't tell anyone she had been kidnapped or anything like that. She just disappeared, which is her right. I just can't believe someone with kids could live with themselves thinking of their kids wondering where their mommy is for 11 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
I doubt it. She didn't tell anyone she had been kidnapped or anything like that. She just disappeared, which is her right. I just can't believe someone with kids could live with themselves thinking of their kids wondering where their mommy is for 11 years.

People suck.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 2, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Here's a video of a 747 freighter stalling shortly after takeoff, presumably due to cargo shift- although that hasn't been confirmed. It happened at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan on Monday.

The video is very intense, so heads up. Really frightening. Crew of 7- RIP.

Someone beat you by 2 pages.