Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Ok, wife. She basically said the same thing to me.

Smart woman. How did she end up with you? ;)

How did you break your drain plug, btw? Over tightening? When I was at the store once I saw a hard plastic drain plug and a metal one, I chose the metal one for that reason.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Smart woman. How did she end up with you? ;)

How did you break your drain plug, btw? Over tightening? When I was at the store once I saw a hard plastic drain plug and a metal one, I chose the metal one for that reason.

Whoops, just saw this.I must have over tightened the last time I changed the oil. Lesson learned.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
Dear Wite,

Remember when I got you hooked on Oberon? It is time for you to enjoy a new, delicious beverage.

80-Acre Hoppy Wheat Beer

Not only is this beauty 5.5%, but you'll be belching up a storm due to the added carbinations. It is teh good.

Steve, if you like that, next time you are in St. Louis, check out 4 Hands Brewing's Contact High. Its a deliciously hoppy wheat beer without wheat yeast.

20130330-094402.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/world/americ....html?hpt=hp_c3

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/world/americ...pt=hp_inthenews

RE: Canadian Derailment

Am I missing something here? The locomotive caught fire, the town's fire department put the fire out- disabling the locomotive that powered the brakes in the process without first consulting the engineer. Predictably, the train rolls away unmanned and wipes out a good chunk of said town when it derails, and the CEO of the railway company who had nothing to do with it is the one getting death threats and hate mail? The townsfolk are outraged that the CEO would dare suggest that their fire department inadvertently caused the train to roll away? The mayor of this little village and the leader of the Mounties decline to comment as to whether or not they will speak to the railway CEO, who again, had jack-s*** to do with the mess their own clown fire dept. inadvertently (but nevertheless, recklessly) created? Canada...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/world/americ....html?hpt=hp_c3

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/world/americ...pt=hp_inthenews

RE: Canadian Derailment

Am I missing something here? The locomotive caught fire, the town's fire department put the fire out- disabling the locomotive that powered the brakes in the process without first consulting the engineer. Predictably, the train rolls away unmanned and wipes out a good chunk of said town when it derails, and the CEO of the railway company who had nothing to do with it is the one getting death threats and hate mail? The townsfolk are outraged that the CEO would dare suggest that their fire department inadvertently caused the train to roll away? The mayor of this little village and the leader of the Mounties decline to comment as to whether or not they will speak to the railway CEO, who again, had jack-s*** to do with the mess their own clown fire dept. inadvertently (but nevertheless, recklessly) created? Canada...

Why should it be even possible for firefighters to accidentally disengage the breaking system for a rolling bomb?

I'd imagine it's similar to what we sometimes see with aircraft fires/emergencies on the ground- they (emergency personnel) want them shut off to prevent anything unexpected from happening or compounding the situation. One example off the top of my head is the Qantas A380 with the engine failure. The passengers were kept on board because there was a fuel leak in the proximity of an engine that they weren't able to shut down. The extent of the firefighting effort was to spray water at the engine until it flamed out. In this case, it wouldn't surprise me if the firefighters wanted it off to prevent what actually ended up taking place- the train rolling away- from happening. It's understandable that they didn't know the brakes were powered by one specific locomotive, which is why it's clownish of the townsfolk (and now I've seen reports that the firefighters take issue with it as well) to get defensive about it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
FWIW:

The Associated Press@AP 1h

BREAKING: Railway company chief says employee failed to properly set brakes in Quebec train crash.

Just saw that come across as well- it still looks as if the disabled locomotive had a significant role in this. From reading around, I think the handbrakes are a sort of last resort, while the airbrakes are the primary brakes.

Not sure why I continue to go to CNN for anything, though. Their version of this story is bound to go through more plot twists than a Choose Your Own Goosebumps book.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft