Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
His dad was there and watched it happen :(

Some of the comments point out the wingtip speed of the blades on one of these helicopters. It's a 5' diameter blade spinning at about 2000rpm, which puts the wingtip speed at about 360mph.

I'm sure a lawsuit will follow.

Good explanation from commenter:

yes the helicopter he his holding in the picture is very capable of killing him. The one on the ground that the investigators is looking at is between a 550 and 700 size Helicopter. They are approximately 4 ft long with a 5ft rotor width. These Helicopters spin carbon fiber blades at speeds between 2000-2300 rpm's and that's more than enough to kill a person. He was flying what is known as "3D", which is a very complicated type of stunt flying. You can look rc helicopter 3D up on You tube to see what it is. It is very interesting to watch. So my thoughts go to his family. He wasn't some brainless idiot just a victim of an unfortunate accident while doing what he loved.

I feel for the dad - if losing your son isn't terrible enough (I've had the non-pleasure of watching my own dad go through this), he clearly has also lost his main hobby along with him. I bet if someone had gone to his dad with the hypothetical, "what would you do if you son died unexpectedly?" He probably would have said that he'd fly those helicopters more often. s***ty thing to read to start my day

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
Not much of a case there. He assumed the risk of operating that thing. And he was an expert on remote controlled helicopters.

Doesn't matter. Good chance they'll still attempt a lawsuit. We live in a lawsuit-happy, everyone else except me is always the one to blame type of country.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
Not much of a case there. He assumed the risk of operating that thing. And he was an expert on remote controlled helicopters.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Doesn't matter. Good chance they'll still attempt a lawsuit. We live in a lawsuit-happy, everyone else except me is always the one to blame type of country.

Exactly. Regardless of whether or not it's a great case, lawsuit coming down the pipe.

Sat in the car for a half hour to finish the segment on Stern that Robin had fought and beat cancer over the past 16 months.

I honestly thought she was doing the show from home just because she was being lazy and mailing it in since they were so established. I feel like a jag.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Exactly. Regardless of whether or not it's a great case, lawsuit coming down the pipe.

Hey, I can file a lawsuit saying you're ugly and it hurt me, doesn't mean it's going to go anywhere. If they sued it'd be dismissed pretty quickly on summary judgment. They might settle out for the cost of defense (25k or less) but not much more.

People think we're a lawsuit happy nation, and we are, but it's not as easy to make a buck as people think.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
Hey, I can file a lawsuit saying you're ugly and it hurt me, doesn't mean it's going to go anywhere. If they sued it'd be dismissed pretty quickly on summary judgment. They might settle out for the cost of defense (25k or less) but not much more.

People think we're a lawsuit happy nation, and we are, but it's not as easy to make a buck as people think.

If you did that, and you incurred any legal costs, couldn't you counter sue to have those costs paid for?

Also, while we're happy to try to profit of our misfortunes, death is a tricky one. For someone that just lost a son, a legal battle in which reliving their son's death daily for an extended period of time is not always ideal.

My brother died a few years ago in an accident in which he was hit by a car. It was a convoluted situation so I'll spare you the details, but we were advised that there was some chance of "winning" some money if we pursued things legally. That was the last thing my family felt like doing, especially when it was much more "accident" than the fault of any particular person/entity (even if we could feasibly make a court place the blame on said person/entity)

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)

Haven't there been cases where later it was determined that there were fundemental safety issues with the product, that the manfuacturer knew aboutn those issues, and ignored them, or hid them from the public?

For example, and being hypothtical here, let's say there was a programming flaw where if you try X while depressing Y, in a northwind between 10 and 15 mph, the helicopter will fly due north instead of the expected line. Perhaps the manufacturer caught that, but since the chances of someone doing that were so remote they ignored it.

The only way to know that is to sue and request documentation.

Cival attorneys, keeping the world safe!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Nearly every movie set in actual locations does this to some extent. There are many scenes in Rudy where Rudy sees a building or a person at a building from another building on campus when such a sight line was impossible.

The skyline from Fraiser's apartment is a composite, and the closest you can get in real life is a hill in a park or something like that.