Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
I live near Howard station and the freakin Dominicks is closing by me. I just sold my car too so now I have to figure out how I can do my grocery shopping since it's no longer walking distance.

Morse Fresh grocery is great for meat/produce/deli, right next to the EL as well.

However, it's not great for the non-perishables/frozen foods. For those I typically go to Target or Dominicks (there's one on Ridge a mile or two away, not great for walking for you though).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Morse Fresh grocery is great for meat/produce/deli, right next to the EL as well.

However, it's not great for the non-perishables/frozen foods. For those I typically go to Target or Dominicks (there's one on Ridge a mile or two away, not great for walking for you though).

Is that one closing though?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
F*ckin' Trader Joe's is where it's at, b****es.

We shop there too, but like Aldi they don't have everything you need. I've also "soured" on them a bit recently. We've purchased a couple of refrigerated items in the last few months that were like 3-4 weeks past their expiration date. Kinda screwed up their image with me after dealing with that.

At least we're now more cognizant about checking those dates.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Not sure actually, there's a Target/Jewel off of Howard about a mile or two west as well.

Yeah I know about them, I am just trying to find a decent store that is walking distance. I didn't miss my car for longest time but now, I have a feeling I'll need one soon.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)
I usually shop at Target. When I lived in Colorado there was a Target and Sunflower next to each other -- I'd go to Sunflower first and fill in the gaps at Target

We tried shopping at target instead of our grocery store and it was like inexplicably 40% more and all of the meat I got was prepackaged garbage. Not sure why either, didn't make sense.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
That sucks. Shotgun season just opened back up in Illinois today. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year. There are some monster bucks where we hunt.

So true. But every so often, you get lucky.

One of the biggest mistakes a hunter can make is hurry to find a deer that they have just shot. If you didn't drop it right on the spot, it's going to run. If it's not dead yet and you walk up on it, it'll get up and run for days, meaning you will never find it. Thankfully I've never had that issue, nor ever seen it happen to any of the hunters I know. I've never had a deer run more than 40 yards from where I shot it.

Why do you hunt with a gun? Seems to take the sport out of it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 10:45 PM)
I think Whole Foods may be buying the Dominick's in the West Loop. It won't be Mariano's, unless they want 2 stores within 200 feet of each other.

Correct they are. That dominicks has been dying for over 5 years. Marianos has really gone to s*** right there anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
Correct they are. That dominicks has been dying for over 5 years. Marianos has really gone to s*** right there anyway.

And once Mariano's moved in, that Dominick's took a ridiculous hit.

We do most grocery shopping at Jewel, use the Mariano's for quick stuff/sometimes hot bar and mainly the bigger beer selection.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
And once Mariano's moved in, that Dominick's took a ridiculous hit.

We do most grocery shopping at Jewel, use the Mariano's for quick stuff/sometimes hot bar and mainly the bigger beer selection.

That Marianos started out awesome, now with all the others opening you'll see the quality and availability of the produce as gone down hill and they jacked up the prices on most items. I compared two receipts within months of each other and it was funny how much they raised prices.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
The cold cut combo at Subway has really fallen off, never again getting that thing.

I had one like 3 times this week before I realized it had bologna on it. But still $2 for a 6-inch is a preeeeety good deal. I graduate in 5 days, so I really don't want to have to go grocery shopping again.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
I had one like 3 times this week before I realized it had bologna on it. But still $2 for a 6-inch is a preeeeety good deal. I graduate in 5 days, so I really don't want to have to go grocery shopping again.

Its now turkey salami and turkey ham as well. I swear it used to have actual salami in it. Back to the spicy italian for me.

2 dollar meatball is the steal of the century IMO.