Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
Seems to be a dying industry for some reason. I am not sure why the jewish deli kind of died away in chicago as well.

IN the west loop I had alot of choices for italian delis, but I suspect even those are being forced out at some point. Its depressing. Here in Oak Park we only have Alpine, which is awesome, but I wouldnt mind another real deli.

I told my dad the other day that a good idea would be to open a jewish style deli near Kent Law school. For whatever reason there just arent that many.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Oh i'm sure. But Subway still sucks, at least the one closest to my office. If you get the bread toasted it's like eating stale bread. Half the veggies aren't quite ripe. And I swear I end up s***ting my brains out 4-5 hours after eating there, which makes me question how sanitary the place is.

Sounds like the one by you. The one I go to is super well kept. Never seen a blade of lettuce with the slightest brown.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Oh i'm sure. But Subway still sucks, at least the one closest to my office. If you get the bread toasted it's like eating stale bread. Half the veggies aren't quite ripe. And I swear I end up s***ting my brains out 4-5 hours after eating there, which makes me question how sanitary the place is.

+1 on the regular old style deli's. There are a few in the west loop, but they're pricey and "commercial." Mom and pop shops just can't compete with the pricing of the larger chains unfortunately.

I have 2 new Mediterranean Chipotle clones around my building that opened within the last year and a half (Nesh! and Mezza, both excellent, along with Roti). I've been hitting up those more than the sandwich shops.

Sounds like that one in particular, they vary so much from franchise to franchise. The one by my new place I LOVE but they also have different veggies than some others, and completely different pickles

In the west loop, Grazianos cannot be beat, also on grand I LOVE Vinnie's tuna salad, the best I've ever had. That halsted st deli closer to downtown is the largest piece of crap rip off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
I agree. There used to be the best place down the block from the CBOT. I've been lost since that place closed down.

That marquette inn used to be my spot, also the place by Perrys when i didnt want 2 lbs of sandwich.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Sounds like that one in particular, they vary so much from franchise to franchise. The one by my new place I LOVE but they also have different veggies than some others, and completely different pickles

In the west loop, Grazianos cannot be beat, also on grand I LOVE Vinnie's tuna salad, the best I've ever had. That halsted st deli closer to downtown is the largest piece of crap rip off.

That marquette inn used to be my spot, also the place by Perrys when i didnt want 2 lbs of sandwich.

Finkle's was my spot. Where is Grazianos? That doesn't ring a bell. Halsted is meh for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Finkle's was my spot. Where is Grazianos? That doesn't ring a bell. Halsted is meh for sure.

http://www.jpgraziano.com/

Get the Mr G

Sharp imported provolone, hot sopresatta, Prosciutto di Parma, Volpi genoa salami, truffle mustard balsamic vinaigrette, hot oil, marinated roman-style artichokes, fresh basil, lettuce w/ red wine vinegar & oregano … $8.25

Or their tuna and italian are great. They make the tuna right in front of you so you can dictate how much mayo etc you want in it.

Great italian deli.

Im literally debating whether to drive downtown or naperville at this point for some deli.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)

Get the Mr G

Sharp imported provolone, hot sopresatta, Prosciutto di Parma, Volpi genoa salami, truffle mustard balsamic vinaigrette, hot oil, marinated roman-style artichokes, fresh basil, lettuce w/ red wine vinegar & oregano … $8.25

Or their tuna and italian are great. They make the tuna right in front of you so you can dictate how much mayo etc you want in it.

Great italian deli.

Im literally debating whether to drive downtown or naperville at this point for some deli.

Next time I am over there I will have to check it out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Next time I am over there I will have to check it out.

Your first time its a little awkward because its an old italian deli and you order and then pay later, but its freaking unreal.

Thats it, im going out to Schmaltz, need a corned beef fix.

I think the dying out of the industry is a direct result of the popularity of the subways/jimmy johns/potbellies/Jersey Mikes. You go to those privately owned delis and their stuff is awesome, but their prices usually cant beat a $5 footlong.

There is a place in McHenry called Epic Deli that is supposed to be awesome. A coworker friend lives in McHenry and goes there at least twice a week

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
I think the dying out of the industry is a direct result of the popularity of the subways/jimmy johns/potbellies/Jersey Mikes. You go to those privately owned delis and their stuff is awesome, but their prices usually cant beat a $5 footlong.

There is a place in McHenry called Epic Deli that is supposed to be awesome. A coworker friend lives in McHenry and goes there at least twice a week

The only surviving ones are the places that are out of this world for one reason or another or have generations of customers.

Alpine Subs here in Elmwood Park just makes an unreal sandwich because of their homemade items and fresh bread. You get a "taste" for their sandwiches. On the flip side there are potbelly's type places like Rammy's where you could easily get their exact product at Potbelly's so they died.

We also have the Submarine Shop in Algonquin/Dundee, which is pretty awesome. It was featured on Chicago Eats. It is just a little sub shop off Rte 31, blink and you miss it. We go there from time to time, everytime we go in there it has a line out the door

My fresman year at SIU my dad gave me a credit card to use and I got it taken away because I basically bought hundreds of dollars of Jimmy Johns a month so I definitely get the JJ love. Ironically enough my buddy worked there my last 2 years down at school so I got it for free whenever I wanted to.

I do love Subway though. I can actually say besides Blimpy's I've pretty much loved all of those sandwich chains.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
I told my dad the other day that a good idea would be to open a jewish style deli near Kent Law school. For whatever reason there just arent that many.

Do you work at Kent? I know you've asked FFC before, I don't work there anymore but you guys do get a nice discount if you do indeed work there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)

Get the Mr G

Great italian deli.

I can vouch for this, it's well worth it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
Your first time its a little awkward because its an old italian deli and you order and then pay later, but its freaking unreal.

Thats it, im going out to Schmaltz, need a corned beef fix.

Schmaltz is the best. It's in the shopping center where I work so I eat there pretty much twice a week at least. Haven't had anything I didn't like and so many choices.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Schmaltz is the best. It's in the shopping center where I work so I eat there pretty much twice a week at least. Haven't had anything I didn't like and so many choices.

Just had it. Wow that place has grown. Forgot how great the food and service is. They also gave us all cookies, wow those were good. Long drive but well worth it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
The only surviving ones are the places that are out of this world for one reason or another or have generations of customers.

Alpine Subs here in Elmwood Park just makes an unreal sandwich because of their homemade items and fresh bread. You get a "taste" for their sandwiches. On the flip side there are potbelly's type places like Rammy's where you could easily get their exact product at Potbelly's so they died.

You have Russell's yet? Tasty tasty.