2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Seperate note... the latest Superman preview sure looks good. Except the director appears to be the guy who did 300. One can only hope they are using a different writer.

I despise the way that Zack Snyder has shot action scenes in his past movies and I really haven't liked anything he directed other than the Dawn of the Dead remake so my expectations aren't very high for this one even though the trailers and TV spots have me intrigued.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Seperate note... the latest Superman preview sure looks good. Except the director appears to be the guy who did 300. One can only hope they are using a different writer.

David Goyer, Christopher Nolan.

They kind of write good DC flicks

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 20, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
Watching the bland Total Recall remake this weekend a question came to mind: Has a hotter woman ever kicked more ass on film than Kate Beckinsale? I think not.

It was a poorly written adaptation of the original. "The Fall" was dumb.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 20, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
So... it's the Hangover with really old actors.

It looks soooooo horrible.

WHy would they even agree to do it!? Freeman is above this kind of crap.

Morgan Freeman certainly isn't above making bad movies for money.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 20, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Morgan Freeman certainly isn't above making bad movies for money.

It's a competition with him, Samuel L. Jackson and Adam Sandler at this point...aren't they making a "Grown Ups 2" when nobody really liked the first one THAT much?

He (Samuel L.) really is ubiquitous.

You have the popular culture movies like the Avengers series appearances, Snakes on a Plane...then every once in a while, he'll throw a Django Unchained or Black Snake Moan at you.

As an aside:

No wonder all these B list celebs like the girl from Veronica Mars, Sabrina The Teenage Witch and Zach Braff are going to Kickstarter...although there's a backlash now forming, as the original idea was to provide a voice and funds to unknowns, kind of the "American Idol" version of film-making or Project Runway, etc.

Interesting that Kickstarter's spin on the whole situation is that all the exposure and controversy is gaining them market share and exposure for same artists...a "rising tide floats all boats" explanation.

Edited by caulfield12

What happened to the days when he would throw in a Click, Funny People (although most consider it way too dark) or Punch Drunk Love every once in a while? Reign Over Me was another different one for him.

At one point, Sandler was in talks to star in Quentin Tarantino's World War II film Inglourious Basterds, which he confirmed, but he did not appear in it due to a scheduling conflict with Funny People.[14] Following the release of Funny People, it, along with Punch-Drunk Love were cited in the June 2010 announcement that Sandler was one of 135 people (including 20 actors) invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.[15]

He was initially cast in the bachelor-party-themed comedy/thriller Very Bad Things (1998), but had to back out due to his involvement in The Waterboy (1998), one of his first hits.

At one point, Sandler was considered for the part that went to Jamie Foxx in Collateral (2004). He also was one of the finalists along with Jim Carrey and Johnny Depp for the role of Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005).

wikipedia

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
What happened to the days when he would throw in a Click, Funny People (although most consider it way too dark) or Punch Drunk Love every once in a while? Reign Over Me was another different one for him.

At one point, Sandler was in talks to star in Quentin Tarantino's World War II film Inglourious Basterds, which he confirmed, but he did not appear in it due to a scheduling conflict with Funny People.[14] Following the release of Funny People, it, along with Punch-Drunk Love were cited in the June 2010 announcement that Sandler was one of 135 people (including 20 actors) invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.[15]

He was initially cast in the bachelor-party-themed comedy/thriller Very Bad Things (1998), but had to back out due to his involvement in The Waterboy (1998), one of his first hits.

At one point, Sandler was considered for the part that went to Jamie Foxx in Collateral (2004). He also was one of the finalists along with Jim Carrey and Johnny Depp for the role of Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005).

wikipedia

Because he still makes a s*** ton of money with those crappy comedies. For Grown Ups according to Wiki - Budget $70 million–$80 million (on WHAT?!), Box office $271,430,189.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 20, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
Because he still makes a s*** ton of money with those crappy comedies. For Grown Ups according to Wiki - Budget $70 million–$80 million (on WHAT?!), Box office $271,430,189.

The entirety of the budget is big salaries for his buddies. No work is put into writing or special effects or sets or any kind of production value.

Here's an explanation of how he does it.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag/jack-and-jill/

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 20, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
Grown Ups 2 was my favorite Sandler movie in a LONG time. Maybe since Mr. Deeds.

Seems there's really a niche now for those ensemble movies...like The Hot Tub Time Machine or Bridesmaids, "buddy" pictures if you're a guy, chick-bonding/reminiscing flicks if you're a woman.

Well, maybe not the Hangover for the geriatic crowd trailer that was in the thread the last couple of pages, lol. Reminded me of "Space Cowboys."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2013 -> 02:47 AM)
http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-...iii-1200482799/

There goes any and all desire to watch Hangover III right out the window...

I think everyone who sees it knows what to expect. We don't need the snobs at Variety's opinion on this one.

Drew at Hitfix liked it for what it was.

Can't wait to see the finale to the Delpy/Ethan Hawk/Linklater franchise....

Final one, covering nearly twenty years of time, BEFORE MIDNIGHT.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/before_midnight_2013/

22 reviews so far, only one negative.

Reading some of the blurbs/synopses, it seems like it could be an excellent film and perfect cap-off to the trilogy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 22, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
June 14th can't come soon enough.

I'm totally with you. If anyone can "humanize" the character and make a "realistic" Superman movie, its Nolan and company.