2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
I absolutely loved The World's End.

Rounded out the cornetta trilogy brilliantly. 3 films that are endlessly watchable and guaranteed to please, no doubt in my mind The World's End will be just as enjoyable on the 10th viewing as it was the first. I absolutely adore Edgar Wright.

Hot Fuzz is on BBC America right now, I had no choice but to watch it, probably for the 20th time, every gag is still as effective as it was in every previous viewing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
Ledger was also a better actor than Affleck.

Before Joker was he really a better actor? His only other movie that got him a lot of praise was Brokeback Mountain and I think that had more to do with the fact it was 2 gay cowboys than acting.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
Before Joker was he really a better actor? His only other movie that got him a lot of praise was Brokeback Mountain and I think that had more to do with the fact it was 2 gay cowboys than acting.

The Patriot, Brokeback Mountain, and Monsters Ball were all notches in his belt, Joker was about to propel him into another stratosphere.

It is pretty even in the acting department IMO, of course BA has the director championship between them.

Nolan really is the big difference, he is very good at making flawed characters and making them pop on the screen. Snyder has the same guys writing the story though, so that is good.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 07:57 PM)
The Patriot, Brokeback Mountain, and Monsters Ball were all notches in his belt, Joker was about to propel him into another stratosphere.

It is pretty even in the acting department IMO, of course BA has the director championship between them.

Nolan really is the big difference, he is very good at making flawed characters and making them pop on the screen. Snyder has the same guys writing the story though, so that is good.

I actually like Snyder movies for the most part as well, I don't think the Patriot really was good acting although it was a big budget movie. I think with the way Ben Affleck has been past few years he has been one of the better actors in Hollywood and only past mistakes giving him a bad rep.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)
I actually like Snyder movies for the most part as well, I don't think the Patriot really was good acting although it was a big budget movie. I think with the way Ben Affleck has been past few years he has been one of the better actors in Hollywood and only past mistakes giving him a bad rep.

I don't think Affleck is a bad actor, I think he had a tremendously bad run 12 years ago, and is getting over it now.

Whoever replaces Bale and Nolan will have large shoes to fill, that's just the reality of the situation. I hope they get this right, I really do. I just don't know what the f*** DC is doing. Their plans to work towards the Justice League still are just as far away now as they were before the Superman vs Batman announcement. Superman and Batman are the easy ones, they are the cash cows. They still have to introduce, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and re-introduce Green Lantern.

Meanwhile, marvel is on their second and third sequels of some characters, and they are planning on bringing in guardians of the galaxy, Inhumans, ant man, and come out with the sequel to Avengers. And that isn't even counting the out-of-house properties like X Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, and X Force.

In short, Marvel is royally kicking DCs asses, and DC keeps running out the same two guys.

the_town1.jpg

Affleck can play Batman. He can also play serious. Hopefully he drops the Bahston accent, heh.

As for DC's struggles - well, that's because beyond Batman and Superman, they are all straight-up lame. They've already punted one of the few actual superheroes remaning in the Green Lantern with that movie I hope no one ever watched. The only one that they seem to refuse to make that seems like a home run is "The Flash" which would be amazing if they got it right.

Any list of top DC heroes has at least 15 that tie directly to the Batman world, including Robin, Knightwing, etc.

DC took their short list of heroes and just kept bringing on newbs - I can think of two Flash's in Wally West and Barry Allen. I'm pretty sure there were like 10 Green Lanterns, not that I ever gave a s*** about that comic strip. There were some lame Aquamen, also that I did not care about (and any movie would immediately be met with Entourage jokes).

The list just isn't that long of usable heroes.

- Captain Marvel/ Shazam (Billy Batson)

- Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel jr. (Freddy Freeman)

- Mary Marvel (Mary Batson/Mary Bromfield)

- Flash (Barry Allen)

- Flash/Kid Flash (Wally West)

- Flash (Jay Garrick)

- Flash/Kid Flash/Impulse (Bart Allen)

- Green Lantern/Spectre (Hal Jordan)

- Green Lantern/Ion (Kyle Rayner)

- Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)

- Green Lantern (John Stewart)

- Green Lantern (Allan Scott)

- Superman (Clark Kent/ Kal-El)

- Batman (Bruce Wayne)

- Nightwing/Robin (Dick Grayson)

- Nightwing/Robin/Red Robin (Jason Todd)

- Robin (Tim Drake)

- Robin (Damian Wayne)

- Mon-El (Lar Gand/Bob Cobb/Jonathan Kent)

- Nightwing (Chris Kent/Lor-Zod)

- Supergirl (Kara Zor-El/Kara Kent/ Linda Lang)

- Supergirl (Linda Danvers)

- Power Girl (Kara Zor-L/Karen Starr)

- Superboy (Conner Kent/Kon-El)

- Wonder Woman (Diana Prince)

- Wonder Girl/ Wonder Woman (Donna Troy)

- Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark)

- Aquaman (Orin/Arthur Curry)

- Aquaman (Arthur Curry)

- Aqualad/Tempest (Garth)

- Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)

- Green Arrow (Connor Hawke)

- Speedy/Arsenal/Red Arrow (Roy Harper)

- Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)

- Black Canary (Dinah Lance)

- Zatanna (Zatanna Zatara)

- Batgirl/Oracle (Barbara Gordon)

- Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz/John Jones)

- Mister Miracle (Scott Free)

- Booster Gold (Michael Carter)

- Blue Beetle (Jaime Reys)

- Atom (Ray Palmer)

- Atom (Ryan Choi)

- Plastic Man (Patrick O'Brian)

- Uncle Sam (Uncle Sam)

- Elongated Man (Ralph Dibny)

- Mr Terrific (Michael Holt)

- Black Lightning (Jefferson Pierce)

- Static (Virgil Hawkins)

- Red Tornado (Ulthoon)

Meanwhile, Marvel cranked out character after character of interest. The X-Men alone were each back-storied so brilliantly you could really crank out movies based off of each of them, and then you have the Avengers. There's just a lot more source material.

Also, while googling Justice League to see if I'd forgotten anyone of interest, I happened upon the fact that a Justice League tv series was developed by CBS in 1997 and never saw the light of day. The Flash was in it, and it looks atrocious.

You're welcome.

Another list. Just a bunch of turds.

50. Rose and Thorn

49. Eclipso

48. Hourman

47. Neptune Perkins

46. Phantom Stranger

45. Vandal Savage

44. Gorilla Grodd

43. Calculator

42. Changeling/Beast Boy:

41. Detective Chimp

40. Alfred Pennyworth

39. Scarecrow

38. Sue Dibney

37. Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)

36. Guy Gardner

35. Cosmic Boy

34. Johnny Quick

33. Commissioner Gordon

32. Catwoman

31. Darkseid

29. Two-Face

28. Deathstroke

27. Booster Gold

26. Brainiac 5

25. Firestorm

24. Blue Devil

23. Maxwell Lord

22. Spectre

21. Lady Shiva

20. Flash (Wally West)

19. Captain Atom:

18. Black Canary

17. Lady BlackHawk

16. The Question

15. Lois Lane

14. The Elongated Man

13. Green Arrow

12. The Ray

11. Blackhawk

10. Oracle

9. Dr. Fate

8. Green Lantern

7. Robin (Tim Drake)

6. Nightwing:

5. The Joker:

4. Lex Luthor:

3. Wonder Woman:

2. Superman

1.Batman

I would love a Flash movie with Gorilla Grodd.

I just don't understand the Marvel vs. DC stuff. Most comic writers and artists have worked for both at one time. Hell even the two companies don't even fight. I read an interview with the head of Marvel and all he talked about was how excited he was to see Man of Steel.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
I would love a Flash movie with Gorilla Grodd.

I just don't understand the Marvel vs. DC stuff. Most comic writers and artists have worked for both at one time. Hell even the two companies don't even fight. I read an interview with the head of Marvel and all he talked about was how excited he was to see Man of Steel.

Very true, and there have been a ton of crossover stories.

The "Marvel vs DC" stuff is really just talking about how one is thriving and churning out movie after movie and making a film with a raccoon shooting guns while the other just keeps recycling the same s*** over and over, and not particularly well (save Christopher Nolan's lovely trilogy).

I mean, if you give the devs at Marvel Green Lantern, I bet the movie they come up with is not

133543_movie-trailer-ryan-reynolds-is-gr

Steve, you may view them as a bunch of turds, but there are a lot of comic properties that are pretty popular in DC that just have never been attempted or botched horribly. They need to start trying to get them right. When Guardians of the Galaxy is being made by Marvel, DC needs to re-examine their characters in regards to believability and start making some movies.

And I totally agree with you about Flash, they need to make that movie. He is a fun character.

By the way, has anyone seen the New 52 version of Lobo? Oh. My. God.

With all the consternation about Affleck, I can't believe no one has pointed out the obvious: Michael Keaton. Maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember, but when he was named as the "new" Batman in the 80's, everyone's reaction was "Mr. Mom is Batman? Are you kidding me?" Well, turns out the movie was a huge success and people liked him a lot as Wayne/Batman.

Not saying it will be just like that here, but... Affleck may surprise you.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
With all the consternation about Affleck, I can't believe no one has pointed out the obvious: Michael Keaton. Maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember, but when he was named as the "new" Batman in the 80's, everyone's reaction was "Mr. Mom is Batman? Are you kidding me?" Well, turns out the movie was a huge success and people liked him a lot as Wayne/Batman.

Not saying it will be just like that here, but... Affleck may surprise you.

I liked Michael Keaton as Batman. Still a fan of those movies as well. a little dated, but pretty well done.

Keaton still seems like an odd choice for Batman, but for some reason it worked.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
I liked Michael Keaton as Batman. Still a fan of those movies as well. a little dated, but pretty well done.

Keaton still seems like an odd choice for Batman, but for some reason it worked.

It is all about the tone. Burton has a way of making dark fantasies and stories into something almost whimsical. Keaton fit the mold of his Batman, in both the theme of the movie and the writing and direction of the character. I dont think Keaton, Kilmer or Clooney would have fit into Nolans view of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the way Bale did, and I dont think Bale would have fit into Burton and Schumachers view of Batman/Bruce Wayne the way those three did for Burton/Schumacher.

I found this interesting read today, 10 Batman films that almost happened

http://batman-news.com/2013/07/04/10-batma...ost-happened/2/

I didnt know Schumacher kept trying to get one more film.