2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
Had some problems with a character in the end but really enjoyed "Place Beyond the Pines".

I didn't think the 3rd act was as strong as the rest but overall a good movie.

Iron Man 3 was very good, not quite great. Saw it 3-D here in China.

I would rank the first Iron Man ahead of it, and last year's Avenger's just a small notch above...

Kind of like a cross between The Iron Giant and one of the Terminator movies...with Tony Stark's unique and cocky sense of humor as usual thrown into the mix.

Ben Kingsley was very good as The Mandarin. Also a fan of Rebecca Hall.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Looks awesome and it has Jax AND Clay in it. Sold.

Really looking forward to this and Godzilla next year, I am glad that the Kaiju/gigantic monster movie is making a small comeback. I think Cloverfield and Monsters had a nice little hand in that

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 3, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
Iron Man 3 was excellent. Great character development and that is all in will say.

This is definitely where the Transformers series (besides the hiring of Michael Bay) and Iron Man 2 went astray a little bit...

No matter what the special effects or CGI, if you don't really care about the fate of the characters at all (of course, there are exceptions like E.T., where it's an alien and not a human....but the point remains), then it can't really be a great movie that you become emotionally invested in or want to see more than once or twice in your lifetime.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Really looking forward to this and Godzilla next year, I am glad that the Kaiju/gigantic monster movie is making a small comeback. I think Cloverfield and Monsters had a nice little hand in that

I am concerned they are going to screw up Godzilla on his 60th anniversary. The script has been in so many hands and it sounds like they are going to revision his origin to tie into climate change rather than atomic weapons. I am sure it will be better than the 1998 Sony turd, but I still don't have a great feeling about this one.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 4, 2013 -> 07:31 AM)
I am concerned they are going to screw up Godzilla on his 60th anniversary. The script has been in so many hands and it sounds like they are going to revision his origin to tie into climate change rather than atomic weapons. I am sure it will be better than the 1998 Sony turd, but I still don't have a great feeling about this one.

I loved Gareth Edwards "Monsters", and from what I read his sizzle reel at comicon last year blew people away. I havent heard that the script has changed too many hands, but it seems like nowadays that is old hat.

The funny thing is, the Japanese have done so many silly things with Godzilla's story and we consider that ok. We hear a US director is gonna change some things, and we freak out.

One consistent thing I have read is that Edwards wants Godzilla to be terrible event that people react to, and really have no answer for. I like that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 4, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
I loved Gareth Edwards "Monsters", and from what I read his sizzle reel at comicon last year blew people away. I havent heard that the script has changed too many hands, but it seems like nowadays that is old hat.

The funny thing is, the Japanese have done so many silly things with Godzilla's story and we consider that ok. We hear a US director is gonna change some things, and we freak out.

One consistent thing I have read is that Edwards wants Godzilla to be terrible event that people react to, and really have no answer for. I like that.

Agreed that Godzilla as an unstoppable force of nature like in the first two Toho films is a better way to go than the campy Godzilla that the bulk of the films went with. The Heisei series films from the mid-1980s through the mid-1990s actually did a much better job of portraying Godzilla as a force of nature than most of the original Showa films did and picked up as direct sequels to the original film and ignored the rest of the Showa series.

Hoping this one turns out good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)
Iron Man 3 was very good, not quite great. Saw it 3-D here in China.

I would rank the first Iron Man ahead of it, and last year's Avenger's just a small notch above...

Kind of like a cross between The Iron Giant and one of the Terminator movies...with Tony Stark's unique and cocky sense of humor as usual thrown into the mix.

Ben Kingsley was very good as The Mandarin. Also a fan of Rebecca Hall.

I thing Avengers was MUCH better than iron Man 3, but Iron Man 3 was excellent. I am now in love with Rebecca Hall.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 4, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
I thing Avengers was MUCH better than iron Man 3, but Iron Man 3 was excellent. I am now in love with Rebecca Hall.

She has that kind of quiet beauty that doesn't leap out at you right away...but that just takes hold of you over time.

She's not the sort to pose in FHM or Maxim or "try" to be sexy....it's just her natural state of being, a lot like Eva Green (although Ms. Green is almost too naturally voluptuous for her own good).