cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pacific Rim is an enigma.

Most people who have seen it have really enjoyed it.

By all estimates, it's now over the budget in terms of box office (around $240 million and counting) but it has been a big disappointment in the US, where it's unlikely to make $100 million.

That said, it just broke the $9 million mark for opening day in China (a record for Legendary), and figures to be huge in Japan (because of Riko Kikuchi and the Japanese/Godzilla's enemies homage nature of the film) when it finally opens there.

So it will easily make $50-70 million in China (Fast and Furious is already at that mark) and then Japan...and will be hugely popular as a DVD/secondary market/Netflix/rental/airplane views, etc.

Which is kind of a shame, because the only way to really enjoy the movie thoroughly is in an IMAX 3D theatre with surround sound.

Another interesting twist will be del Toro (if they make the sequel) bringing in a Mexican Jaeger/hunter robot...that will be a huge appeal for that market in terms of pulling in box office numbers, as well as Hispanics in the US.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 12:33 AM)
Pacific Rim is an enigma.

Most people who have seen it have really enjoyed it.

By all estimates, it's now over the budget in terms of box office (around $240 million and counting) but it has been a big disappointment in the US, where it's unlikely to make $100 million.

That said, it just broke the $9 million mark for opening day in China (a record for Legendary), and figures to be huge in Japan (because of Riko Kikuchi and the Japanese/Godzilla's enemies homage nature of the film) when it finally opens there.

So it will easily make $50-70 million in China (Fast and Furious is already at that mark) and then Japan...and will be hugely popular as a DVD/secondary market/Netflix/rental/airplane views, etc.

Which is kind of a shame, because the only way to really enjoy the movie thoroughly is in an IMAX 3D theatre with surround sound.

Another interesting twist will be del Toro (if they make the sequel) bringing in a Mexican Jaeger/hunter robot...that will be a huge appeal for that market in terms of pulling in box office numbers, as well as Hispanics in the US.

A sequel will probably happen if the numbers in China and Japan stay strong. You also have to consider they will want to capitalize on the Jaeger/Kaiju mythology with the grand daddy of all Kaiju set to hit theatres next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_Final_Wars

One of my favorite Godzilla movies from Japan...

Gamera, Mothra, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, Hedorah and Rodan....those are the six most famous kaiju, probably.

With the new Godzilla (May 16th, 2014) movie, there are supposed to be two monsters (instead of the military) as the opponent.

Would not be at all surprised to see the next Pacific Rim take off in a "Fast and the Furious" direction and bring Godzilla into the mix, fighting on the side of the jaegers/humans/Earth Defense Force...as Legendary Pictures owns parts of both properties, with Thomas Tull over at that studio being the key player on the projects.

Then you add in the Mexican jaeger...throw Mark Wahlberg, The Rock or Tyrese into the mix and you've got yourself a four quadrant blockbuster that will make a billion dollars, assuming the 2014 Godzilla film works and is well-received. If that Godzilla film falls on its face, Pacific Rim 2 would be in huge trouble in the US.

Director Yoshimitsu Banno, who had directed 1971's Godzilla vs. Hedorah, secured the rights from Toho to make an IMAX 3D short film production, tentatively titled Godzilla 3D to the Max, based on a remake of the Godzilla vs. Hedorah story. Banno and producer Kenji Okuhira then added American 3D cinematographer and visual effects supervisor Peter Anderson to the project. Anderson brought on producer Brian Rogers and the project was then re-negotiated with Toho as a full length 3D feature film. Also through Anderson, Kerner Optical came on board to produce the 3D film. However, Banno was unable to find backers to produce the film. In 2007, Banno met American producer Brian Rogers, and the two planned to work together on the project. Rogers approached Legendary Pictures in 2009, and the project became a plan to produce a feature film instead.[18]

In August 2009, rumors surfaced that Legendary was in talks with Toho to produce a new American Godzilla film to be released in 2012,[19] and on March 29, 2010, it was officially confirmed that Legendary had acquired the rights to Godzilla. Legendary announced it would reboot the franchise with Warner Bros. co-producing and co-financing.[20] TriStar Pictures will not be involved in the production due to their rights expiring in 2003. Legendary plans to make the new film closer in style to the original 1954 film rather than the 1998 film and its "iguana-like creature".[21] According to Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary Pictures, (sic) "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop culturally relevant for as long as it has."[22] Film producers Dan Lin, Roy Lee, Doug Davison and Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni were added to the project to work with Rogers, Banno and Okuhira.[23]

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 4, -> 06:38 PM)
Agreed on Wolverine. Me and my friend almost walked out of it.

one or two good sequences if that. I know i drifted off for a while and had to wake the wife once as well...lol

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
Anyone else pumped for Kick Ass 2?

No.

Lohan's nudes leaked online from her latest crap fest...I mean movie. Despite all the trauma she has put her body through, her boobs look really good.

Edited by Brian

Have some time off and finally caught "The Heat" yesterday. Melissa McCarthy is becoming one of my favorites. Damn she is funny IMO. I love movies with clever lines and even though her use of the word "f***" was funny in itself, there was some creative writing/ad libbing going on.

I don't care what anybody says. Sandy Bullock is not bad looking for 48. If she's had work done, it's been good work done. Her face is not half bad.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Have some time off and finally caught "The Heat" yesterday. Melissa McCarthy is becoming one of my favorites. Damn she is funny IMO. I love movies with clever lines and even though her use of the word "f***" was funny in itself, there was some creative writing/ad libbing going on.

I don't care what anybody says. Sandy Bullock is not bad looking for 48. If she's had work done, it's been good work done. Her face is not half bad.

Ugh. She's the same in every movie she is in. One trick pony that should be in supporting roles.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Agreed on Wolverine. Me and my friend almost walked out of it.

The first Wolverine was the worst movie I have ever seen. No exaggeration. Literally the single worst movie ever. I would watch any other movie in the world over that pile of crap. Can't believe they made another.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 03:44 AM)
Ugh. She's the same in every movie she is in. One trick pony that should be in supporting roles.

I just thought it was really funny. Like Roeper, I was laughing into the following scenes a couple of times at least. I wasn't sure I'd like The Heat but I laughed a lot.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
Yes. Big fan of the comic and the first movie. The red band trailers have been really good so far.

Ya I absolutely loved the first movie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)

I know nothing about the Thor comics but that looks pretty good.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 05:34 AM)
No.

Lohan's nudes leaked online from her latest crap fest...I mean movie. Despite all the trauma she has put her body through, her boobs look really good.

My eyes keep drifting up towards her face and then I get grossed out. She's still what, mid-20's? She looks like she's 50.

Have some time off so went to the Sudeikis/Aniston movie today, We're the Miller's. I really like Sudeikis (not in this movie but overall), and how can you not love Aniston?, but the movie was not good. Maybe one scene was funny, hardly any good one-liners. Bad writing. If any of you are thinking about going, I'd pass. It's not godawful, but pretty bad. I'd give it a 1.5 out of 4. 2 out of 4 max.

The best moment in this movie came out of nowhere and I will NOT spoil it by even hinting at it.

Edited by greg775

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20687836,00.html

Elysium and We're The Millers both getting rather mixed reviews...although both of the ew.com critics liked the two films.

Saw MUD on the plane from Ethiopia to Hong Kong.....very, very underrated film that couldn't quite punch its way into mainstream success but makes you sit back and wonder what McConnaughey's career could have been had he chosen more roles like this one and Magic Mike and less of the beefcake/romantic comedy parts.

Killer Joe also exhibited a totally different side of his acting ability...a lot more versatility than the syrupy "beef, it's what's for dinner" Southern drawl from the John Grisham thriller with Ashley Judd (I think it was "A Time To Kill") from back in the day which really helped put him on the map or even How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

Edited by caulfield12

Killing Season with DeNiro and Travolta is here in Indonesia.

Nuff said about the potential for that film. Does it have any positive reviews?

16 to 2 against....can't believe there are even 2 positives.

If you've always wanted to see Robert De Niro forced to thread a steel rod through an open wound and then strung upside down by John Travolta, this is the movie for you.

DeNiro's made some sketchy script choices for projects the last 20-30 years, for one of, if not THE best, actor of his generation.

Edited by caulfield12