2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just not Ron Howard fan but the reviews are hard to ignore.

Been on a documentary binge on Netflix. Liked "The Imposter" and "Shut Up, Little Man". Still haven't watched "The Invisible War". Feel like I need to be in a specific mood for that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
I'm looking forward to Don Jon next week. JGL and Scarlett should be an auto win.

JGL was on Stern yesterday. He's so likable and seems to be making the perfect career choices.

Kings of Summer is a solid coming of age flick. Watching Bling Ring now. Pretty dull.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 12:12 AM)
RUSH sporting a 95% fresh on rotten tomatoes. Absolutely stoked to see it. Sept 27 everywhere.

Spoiler!

James Hunt died of a heart attack 20 years ago when he was 45 and Niki Lauda is still alive. Hunt won the championship the season the movie is about.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
Yeah. It's very poorly made. Expected more from Sofia Coppola. Not really a fan of hers anyway, so not sure why I had high hopes.

Hahaha, not sure why this made me laugh. That girl from Winnetka was insufferable. Shocking!

The Great Gatsby had me for the first half but the second half was dreadfully slow. I enjoyed the cinematography and imagery though. And despite the music feeling out of place, I liked it.

Pain and Gain - LOVED it.

Now You See Me - Really enjoyed it. Had me hooked the entire time. Not sure I love the twist at the end, but it had me thinking the entire time and there was some nice action in it too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
The Great Gatsby had me for the first half but the second half was dreadfully slow. I enjoyed the cinematography and imagery though. And despite the music feeling out of place, I liked it.

Pain and Gain - LOVED it.

Now You See Me - Really enjoyed it. Had me hooked the entire time. Not sure I love the twist at the end, but it had me thinking the entire time and there was some nice action in it too.

Pain and Gain didn't do a thing for me. Now you see me is next on my list.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
About to head off to see Prisoners. Heard it was really good.

Phenomenal movie. One of the best I've seen in a long time. Ridiculously suspenseful and tremendous acting.

Go see Prisoners.

Go see Prisoners, YESTERDAY.

The Metallica 3D movie was pretty good....

Going to see RUSH tomorrow.

Rush...one of the best couple of movies of the last six months, and a probable Oscar candidate if it can pick up enough steam.

Gravity looks like it will definitely join Rush as Top 10 movies for 2013.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
What is the logic behind Rotten Tomato's scoring? Reason I ask, I noticed that of the 110 reviews in for Gravity, only two were classified as rotten. Upon closer inspection, one of those 2 reviews gave the movie a B minus.

Yeah, it's weird.

Usually, it's C/C+ and below, but it's pretty subjective.

A lot of movie scales are out of 5 and I've seen some 2.5/5 ratings fall in both the positive and negative category.

Same with 2.5/4.

Almost always 3/4 or 3/5 end up in the "positive" category.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
What is the logic behind Rotten Tomato's scoring? Reason I ask, I noticed that of the 110 reviews in for Gravity, only two were classified as rotten. Upon closer inspection, one of those 2 reviews gave the movie a B minus.

Best movie I've seen so far this year...whoever those reviewers who gave it low scores or not even a thumbs up are nuts.