2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 07:38 AM)
The CEO also touted strong prospects for another franchise with “The Expendables 3″ having added Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas, Wesley Snipes and Kelsey Grammer. “We’ve repositioned this franchise in a powerful way,” Feltheimer said.

www.variety.com

I think they've worked pretty much everyone in there now but Stephen Seagal. Might as well add Mr. T and Lane Kiffin, too.

The Rock?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 07:34 AM)
The Rock?

I guess since the Rock is considered by nearly everyone as an "A-lister," he wouldn't be expendable, haha.

It was a bit weird for Statham to take that role, but he seems to be up for nearly any paycheck and just loves to be making movies. But his career definitely wasn't on the decline.

Even Charisma Carpenter really fit that idea well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
This was the only comment on this?

Saw it last night; thought it was fabulous.

I thought the actor playing the young Somali pirate was incredible.

My mom's observation was that the movie lost a lot of its intensity/excitement in the final 1/3rd...I think that comment's not unfair.

Definitely, Tom Hanks will get another Oscar nomination, and he has a very good chance of winning...which is a nice comeback story for him with how Larry Crowne, Incredibly Loud and Incredibly Close and Cloud Atlas all fared.

I still think, all things considered, that Rush was a better movie, overall.

Heck, Prisoners might have been a better movie...in terms of sustaining my interest.

Definitely, Captain Phillips demonstrates a quite strong individual performance within a film that's not quite great but very good. I sort of felt the same way about Zero Dark Thirty and Jessica Chastain.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Wow really? I couldn't get through it when watching it on HBOGO. I think I got about 2/3 of the way through and called it quits.

I can see where some would have that reaction.

Part of it's Apatow backlash...and it's not exactly a feel-good story, it's quite depressing, and it feels like a screenplay derived from a true/autobiographical underpinning.

Maybe we've all seen enough movies where Paul Rudd basically plays the same character. On the other hand, there's a comfort where he keeps playing a predictable character over and over again...

Up In the Air is a much better film (it was on t.v. yesterday), and while it's grim and depressing at many points, it also has an uplifting ending in a sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
Married, two daughters, and 39 turning 40 in a month.

That's why I identify with Up in the Air a lot more.

Always travelling and working in other countries. No kids, unless you count my students, like TEX might.

No house, no car...no debts and a job at least. Cue speech from George Clooney...

Ryan Bingham: How much does your life weigh? Imagine for a second that you're carrying a backpack. I want you to pack it with all the stuff that you have in your life... you start with the little things. The shelves, the drawers, the knickknacks, then you start adding larger stuff. Clothes, tabletop appliances, lamps, your TV... the backpack should be getting pretty heavy now. You go bigger. Your couch, your car, your home... I want you to stuff it all into that backpack. Now I want you to fill it with people. Start with casual acquaintances, friends of friends, folks around the office... and then you move into the people you trust with your most intimate secrets. Your brothers, your sisters, your children, your parents and finally your husband, your wife, your boyfriend, your girlfriend. You get them into that backpack, feel the weight of that bag. Make no mistake your relationships are the heaviest components in your life. All those negotiations and arguments and secrets, the compromises. The slower we move the faster we die. Make no mistake, moving is living. Some animals were meant to carry each other to live symbiotically over a lifetime. Star crossed lovers, monogamous swans. We are not swans. We are sharks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
I can see where some would have that reaction.

Part of it's Apatow backlash...and it's not exactly a feel-good story, it's quite depressing, and it feels like a screenplay derived from a true/autobiographical underpinning.

Maybe we've all seen enough movies where Paul Rudd basically plays the same character. On the other hand, there's a comfort where he keeps playing a predictable character over and over again...

Up In the Air is a much better film (it was on t.v. yesterday), and while it's grim and depressing at many points, it also has an uplifting ending in a sense.

Apatows movies are mostly depressing comedies that make light of real life scenarios. When you look at them, very few are "feel good". They just make you laugh

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Apatows movies are mostly depressing comedies that make light of real life scenarios. When you look at them, very few are "feel good". They just make you laugh

I usually love Apatow's stuff, and a big fan of Rudd, I just thought the jokes in general weren't that great and became uber repetitive in the movie.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
Wow really? I couldn't get through it when watching it on HBOGO. I think I got about 2/3 of the way through and called it quits.

Yeah, I absolutely hated that suckfest. I think the only comedy I've ever hated more than that movie was Dinner for Schmucks.

The first half of of This is 40 I thought was pretty good, but then it just got unwatchable. I was watching it with my roommate and we just ended up falling asleep on each other voluntarily because it was so dumb.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)

Knocked Up or the 40 Year Old Virgin...Anchorman, etc., were a lot more light-hearted.

That's the only movie I actually liked a Seth Rogen character.

Funny People, Drillbit Taylor...THis is 40, not so much.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Knocked Up or the 40 Year Old Virgin...Anchorman, etc., were a lot more light-hearted.

That's the only movie I actually liked a Seth Rogen character.

Funny People, Drillbit Taylor...THis is 40, not so much.

Knocked up is something I would consider in the "depressing topic, makes you laugh" category along with its sort of sequel. Single motherhood due to a one night stand isn't exactly light hearted. And yea, Funny People for sure.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
Knocked up is something I would consider in the "depressing topic, makes you laugh" category along with its sort of sequel. Single motherhood due to a one night stand isn't exactly light hearted. And yea, Funny People for sure.

Mostly it was because of the preposterous idea that a weeded out Rogen could ever end up with Katherine Heigl...at least at that time.

It wasn't She's Out of My League style of comedy, where you have a lot more sympathy for Jay Baruchel's character, however.

In the end, if you're going comedy/satire, I guess I personally prefer going "all in," a movie like Raising Arizona is one of my all-time favorites. Before he started doing movies for the paychecks, Nicholas Cage was capable of being a brilliant actor, even/especially in a comedy role. Still, it definitely had a dark or edgier side.

Edited by caulfield12

Really disappointed by THE BLING RING...

I think that movie was made mostly to give Emma Watson an opportunity to play the "bad girl."

It's the worst movie Sofia Coppola's ever done, it would have been better off as an ABC Afterschool Special or on the Lifetime Network.

It's not quite in the same overall realm of abysmal-ness as After Earth and The Watch, however.

Next movies on the viewing list are Before Midnight, Machete Kills (yeah, I know what to expect from that) and Jobs (Ashton Kutcher biopic).

One week later, and I finally went to see The Dark World. Great stuff. I think the first Iron Man is still the best of these (Marvel) movies, but it's practically a three way tie after that between Avengers and both Thor movies. Maybe Avengers beats them out by the smallest of margins, but you would need a microscope and an Angstrom ruler to see it- Dark World beats out the first Thor by a similar margin. I'm enjoying the Thor franchise the most overall; as much as I thought I would be enjoying the Iron Man series after seeing the first one until II & III watered it down (especially II).

I also think that I've begun to harbor feelings for Kat Dennings (Darcy).

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:38 PM)
One week later, and I finally went to see The Dark World. Great stuff. I think the first Iron Man is still the best of these (Marvel) movies, but it's practically a three way tie after that between Avengers and both Thor movies. Maybe Avengers beats them out by the smallest of margins, but you would need a microscope and an Angstrom ruler to see it- Dark World beats out the first Thor by a similar margin. I'm enjoying the Thor franchise the most overall; as much as I thought I would be enjoying the Iron Man series after seeing the first one until II & III watered it down (especially II).

I also think that I've begun to harbor feelings for Kat Dennings (Darcy).

I saw the 6 minute scene of Captain America: Winter Soldier before the Dark World, then the preview. I seriously think the new Cap movie will be number one ahead of those movies. The scale of that movie looks huge. But right now I'm in agreement with you on the top movies...agree about Kat Dennings as well.

I would like to know how the phase three timeline is going too...which events take place in what order for Avengers 2