2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

After doing a bit of research on the conflicting reports about what ACTUALLY happened in the Fruitvale Station/Oscar Grant situation...I think there's just no way it can win an Oscar in one of the major categories.

It will definitely get some nominations, though.

(Yes, the same exact debate has taken place about movies like Argo and Zero Dark Thirty, but there were 3 key plot points that the director admittedly added from out of thin air to create sympathy for and humanize the subject of the film.)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:04 PM)
After doing a bit of research on the conflicting reports about what ACTUALLY happened in the Fruitvale Station/Oscar Grant situation...I think there's just no way it can win an Oscar in one of the major categories.

It will definitely get some nominations, though.

(Yes, the same exact debate has taken place about movies like Argo and Zero Dark Thirty, but there were 3 key plot points that the director admittedly added from out of thin air to create sympathy for and humanize the subject of the film.)

I don't even understand what you're saying.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
I don't even understand what you're saying.

I'm assuming there are quite a few people who haven't seen the movie...so if I wrote more specifically, then it would get a bit confusing or I would be including multiple spoilers if you're not familiar with actual/real life case that the movie is based upon.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kylesmith/2013...or-oscar-grant/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 11:25 PM)
I'm assuming there are quite a few people who haven't seen the movie...so if I wrote more specifically, then it would get a bit confusing or I would be including multiple spoilers if you're not familiar with actual/real life case that the movie is based upon.

Oh, the guy's NAME is Oscar Grant. It looked to me like you were saying something about an Academy Awards grant or something.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
I'm just not Ron Howard fan but the reviews are hard to ignore.

Been on a documentary binge on Netflix. Liked "The Imposter" and "Shut Up, Little Man". Still haven't watched "The Invisible War". Feel like I need to be in a specific mood for that.

Watched Shut Up Little Man tonight. Thought the documentary was a mess and mostly pointless but it was worth it alone for making me aware of those.audio tapes. Incredible stuff there.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2902570:date=Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:18 AM:name=GoSox05)-->
QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
<!--quotec-->

<!--quoteo(post=2903589:date=Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:09 AM:name=KyYlE23)-->

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:09 AM)
<!--quotec-->Love it. Can't wait to see more

Love that eerie music they play. Originally heard that in 2001 A Space Odyssey. Movie looks promising.

The director has said all of the right things so far. He wants the movie to be like the original, which dealt with the A Bomb and was more of a drama, he doesn't want it to be like the campy movies. I also like what he said about Godzillas look, which was (not verbatim) " I want him to have a look as if someone at Toho saw this creature, and ran back to the studio and tried to recreate the creature"

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Just got back from seeing Hunger Games 2. I loved it. Easily the quickest 2 1/2 hour movie I've ever seen. A couple of things still confuse me about what happened, but I enjoyed it all. Pumped for how it ends.

I didn't think any of the guys in that film were very hot.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
I liked Cloverfield a lot too. Underrated movie I think.

I think the fact that it is "found footage" ruins it for a lot of people. I like the movie, but I understand. If you are running around when a massive creature is destroying the city around you, dropping off some sort of lice/creatures that will kill you, are you going to run around continuously filming?

I liked the after credits scene, but I dont think Abrams is going to do anything with it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
I think the fact that it is "found footage" ruins it for a lot of people. I like the movie, but I understand. If you are running around when a massive creature is destroying the city around you, dropping off some sort of lice/creatures that will kill you, are you going to run around continuously filming?

I liked the after credits scene, but I dont think Abrams is going to do anything with it

I would've liked it more had they given more of a backstory on the creature (which would be tough with the format they chose). But I just looked it up, and they have a relatively detailed description on Wikipedia. The creators had a backstory, but didn't include it in the movie. It basically covers everything, besides how it got on Earth in the first place.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)

Honestly, I think people would. We've seen amateur footage of gunfights and explosions when the person should have been taking cover or hiding. Now, I do think that concept of him filming everything would have been more believable if he was an aspiring videographer or video journalist, because IIRC, he was given the assignment to film the party and he really didn't want to do it. Or maybe I was thinking of TJ Miller's character?

EDIT: Whilst checking the movie's IMDB page, I noticed Lizzy Caplan is the lead female. I'm a big fan of Master of Sex and I couldn't figure out what else I knew her in besides Party Down. Must have been Cloverfield.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
I didn't think any of the guys in that film were very hot.

I can see why girls love that Josh Hutcherson though. I envy his jawline.

But back to the movie. Even after doing some internet digging and reading the part from the book (found it online), I still can't figure out why

Katniss and the other guy (Finn or something?) got trapped in the jabberjay time wedge. When they were in the fog wedge and the baboon wedge they were able to just run through to the next wedge and avoid it. But in that scene, Peeta and Katniss could not cross through the wedge in either direction. What was that about?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
Love that eerie music they play. Originally heard that in 2001 A Space Odyssey.

It's amazing how perfectly tailored 2001's soundtrack is to the film itself. The eerie music you hear is György Ligeti's

and
(the choir/voices). It was unsettling to hear it the first time I saw the movie, and it still is anytime I watch it again. I read somewhere not too long ago that Kubrick was originally going to go with something entirely different for the soundtrack. It's hard to imagine it being anything other than what it is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 11:25 PM)

My thing with what you're saying is, other movies that have won, have done the exact same thing. Whether or not you like the execution in Fruitvale Station or not, that's different. But to take off points for what others have done in the past, that's being biased.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:40 AM)
Watched Shut Up Little Man tonight. Thought the documentary was a mess and mostly pointless but it was worth it alone for making me aware of those.audio tapes. Incredible stuff there.

I thought the same thing when I saw it. I can't believe how little original footage they had of the people during the time it was happening. It was just interview - cut to some found footage of unrelated items - interview, interview, interview.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
My thing with what you're saying is, other movies that have won, have done the exact same thing. Whether or not you like the execution in Fruitvale Station or not, that's different. But to take off points for what others have done in the past, that's being biased.

I never judge a movie that is based on true events whether it's good or not if it's really true to the events or not. If that makes sense.

I'll judge what is presented on screen. I took from it that he knew he was no angel, wanted to change, was changing, than bang. I thought the movie was great.