2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
My DTV boxes are about the size of a coaster. They are also RF so you can hide them behind wall mounted TV's. Its pretty awesome.

Definitely still need Comcast internet though, DSL from ATT blows.

Those are Genies, not full on DVR's. Mine is a full on DVR a few inches longer than a 12oz water bottle...they're pretty compact these days.

My brother just left DTV for Comcast, and he's getting the new copycat technology they have that works exactly like the DTV genies. He has 1 DVR and a bunch of small wireless boxes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
My DTV boxes are about the size of a coaster. They are also RF so you can hide them behind wall mounted TV's. Its pretty awesome.

Definitely still need Comcast internet though, DSL from ATT blows.

Yeah, I get out the door DTV Genie + Comcast internet for around $150. It's the best of both worlds, there's no reason to put up with Comcast's crap. They finally released a DVR that can compete somewhat with the Genie and the Hopper (the X1) but it still has one fewer receiver and they still charge way too much for extra boxes.

The Genie clients are amazing and as previously mentioned - the size of a coaster.

And of course Comcast can NEVER compete with satellite when it comes to HD feed. Picture quality is, you know, important.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
Yeah, I get out the door DTV Genie + Comcast internet for around $150. It's the best of both worlds, there's no reason to put up with Comcast's crap. They finally released a DVR that can compete somewhat with the Genie and the Hopper (the X1) but it still has one fewer receiver and they still charge way too much for extra boxes.

The Genie clients are amazing and as previously mentioned - the size of a coaster.

And of course Comcast can NEVER compete with satellite when it comes to HD feed. Picture quality is, you know, important.

That's roughly what I am paying for 5 tv's + one of Comcast's faster internet speeds. I was paying 260-280ish for comcast without any of their "coupons" for 2 tv's+internet before.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
My brother just left DTV for Comcast, and he's getting the new copycat technology they have that works exactly like the DTV genies. He has 1 DVR and a bunch of small wireless boxes.

Yeah - but no. Fewer shows at once, smaller HD, and the amount of bugs and unhappy X1 customers is too high to list.

And, you know, lesser picture quality.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)

They all compress MPEG4 these days, so the comparison is negligible. Some people will claim Comcast is better, others will claim Dish is...if either are better than the other, you'd need to be a videophile with 20/10 vision to notice.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I've been really happy with ATT's U-Verse internet. It's run on their fiber optic network. I've never had an outage in 2 years and really have never had a problem with speeds dropping. It's also nice because the modem and wireless router are in the same box.

How fast is it? In my experience, Uverse is dogs*** slow.

3007853309.png

There is a speedtest from Chicago to LA (~1700+ miles), it's why I stick with Comcast...I'm pretty much forced to use their Internet, because it's amazing.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)

3007853309.png

There is a speedtest from Chicago to LA (~1700+ miles), it's why I stick with Comcast...I'm pretty much forced to use their Internet, because it's amazing.

The few times I check (after work, so mainly in prime time) it's in the 16-18mb download range for 24mb service.

3007853309.png

Internet with UVerse sucks (but I LOVE thier TV). The "base" is only 3mb down, 1 up. I have it, it sucks, and it's $41/month. To get 24 down, it is $66/month.

Compare this to Comcast: Their 3mb package is $30/month. Their 25mb is $50.

We will be switching sometime this fall. I need faster upload speeds since we backup all our pictures online.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
And Apple gets consistently higher customer satisfaction ratings than any Android supplier. Yet you use Android.

Talk about apples and oranges (no pun intended). How often do you have to call the manufacturer of your mobile device? In 4 years I never had to.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Internet with UVerse sucks (but I LOVE thier TV). The "base" is only 3mb down, 1 up. I have it, it sucks, and it's $41/month. To get 24 down, it is $66/month.

Compare this to Comcast: Their 3mb package is $30/month. Their 25mb is $50.

We will be switching sometime this fall. I need faster upload speeds since we backup all our pictures online.

Just call them and tell them you're going to switch to Comcast unless they can match the price. They upped my speed from 12 to 24 and dropped the price to $29 bucks for 6 months.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
I missed SOA last night because 2 of my cable boxes decided to take a crap 5 minutes before the show started.

The main box was making the picture on the TV huge so that it was literally cutting it off on all 4 sides. I tried adjusting the picture settings on both the TV and the box to no avail. When I unplugged it and tried to switch it with one in another room they both quit working completely. I called Comcast's completely unhelpful customer service and they are going to send a tech out tomorrow.

After an hour or so I got about half my channels back on one of the boxes but it was completely random which channels I got. All the basic local channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, etc...) and a handful of cable channels. This morning when I checked it I had everything except FX.

The other cable box was still DOA.

So here's a nice big FU to Comcast and their s***ty equipment. :angry:

SOA was solid last night probably best episode of season. Show is still pretty good.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Talk about apples and oranges (no pun intended). How often do you have to call the manufacturer of your mobile device? In 4 years I never had to.

You are the exception to that rule. I know a LOT of people, including Apple users, that have needed their phone replaced via warranty repair. And Apple is pretty damn customer friendly when it comes to this compared to most.

The point is, just because someone gets higher customer satisfaction results on surveys, doesn't mean their competition isn't viable, nor does it mean there aren't people that actually prefer it.

I prefer not needing a dish on my house, and not needing a separate provider for my Internet service.

I already rely on Comcast for Internet, so I may as well just use them for TV, it's just easier for me...and I got a really great package to boot. The issue with Comcast for most is that they use crappy cable installers (they farm out the work to contractors), but I've seen some of the DirecTV wiring jobs, and they're not much better.

3007853309.png

It's DSL, so its limited based on many factors, one being distance from hub.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
It's DSL, so its limited based on many factors, one being distance from hub.

What do you pay for Comcast? My wife insists we pay $25 for the home phone so we have Comcast home phone and Internet it is $91 a month.

DirectTv customer service is, IMHO the best in the business.

I have DirectTV, Comcast home phone and internet and AT&T cell phone.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
What do you pay for Comcast? My wife insists we pay $25 for the home phone so we have Comcast home phone and Internet it is $91 a month.

DirectTv customer service is, IMHO the best in the business.

I have DirectTV, Comcast home phone and internet and AT&T cell phone.

The comcast internet I believe comes in at 60 bucks or so, ill check.

For phone I use skype for now since its free through work, however I am investigating that as well. The comcast voice seems super pricey, as well as vonage now.