2013 TV Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
So the Comcast technician came and said that the problem is that our wires are all chewed up. (We have a cat that likes to chew cords for some reason.) Then he tells us that they would charge us $60 to come in and run new wires. We told him no thanks, we can do it ourselves for a tenth of that.

Then he questioned us having a 3-way splitter in our basement (which I guess we really don't need because we don't have a TV down there anymore) and tried to insist that the wires in our house are causing problems for other people and he would have report all this to his boss and our service might get shut off.

Yea, I'm definitely switching now. I talked to someone from DirectTV and they said I can just call up before the free 3-month period ends and cancel the premium channels I don't want/need. Plus I'll finally be able to join the 2000's and get a DVR.

A problem for other people? Are you in a townhouse or apartment complex where wiring is shared?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Have to disagree. The Ron off the grid stuff was funny, but everything else was kinda meh. April is one of the worst characters on TV right now. Leslie/Ben can be gag-inducing. And the funniest guy on the show after Ron (Andy) wasn't in it. Parks and Rec and Modern Family are kind of in the same boat for me - they've run out the same formula for so long now it's getting a little old. They need some new characters or something to spice things up. Maybe a new Tammy episode.

Anyone watch Masters of Sex? The wife and I caught the pilot last night. Very well done. I think we'll stick with it.

You are wrong, April owns

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
A problem for other people? Are you in a townhouse or apartment complex where wiring is shared?

Even then this wouldn't cause problems for anyone else, only for him. The signal would only weaken at the point of the split, he probably has a -7, -7, -3 split...but it's a technical impossibility for that to cause problems for anyone else. That's simply not how RF works.

These installers don't know what they're doing, because they're contractors and poorly trained, and/or do not give a s***.

I did all my wiring on my own, they're so bad. When I moved in, they had DirecTV hooked up, and even that was terribly run/crimped. I redid all of it, but used the same wires DirecTV had run through the house initially, only for Comcast.

As for your cat chewing your wires, that's not his fault...and since DirecTV uses the same exact type of wires, maybe you need to b****slap your cat, because it sounds like you are just going to have the same issues again if DTV runs new wiring and your cat decides to chew it up, not even DTV will re-run wires for free.

Edited by Y2HH

There's debate as to whether unterminated (i.e. open) ports on a splitter cause signal issues due to impedance mismatch and reflections. I'm not sure how far upstream it could really cause issues, though. The solution is to buy a splitter with the number of ports you need, or by a 75-ohm terminator cap (less than $1/ea), which is basically just the threaded connection with a resistor inside.

edit: that said, Comcast technicians are generally awful

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
You are wrong, April owns

Yuck. Owns what? Being smarmy and occasionally looking at the camera? She's a spoiled, self-centered brat for 8 episodes and sometime in between she'll do something "nice." I think she's a pretty useless character.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
DirectTV called me last night and as a loyal subscriber offered me a decent discount on Showtime. We never watched it before so it really was not worth it but I appreciated the call.

Homeland is worth the few month subscription to catch up and watch this season.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
Even then this wouldn't cause problems for anyone else, only for him. The signal would only weaken at the point of the split, he probably has a -7, -7, -3 split...but it's a technical impossibility for that to cause problems for anyone else. That's simply not how RF works.

These installers don't know what they're doing, because they're contractors and poorly trained, and/or do not give a s***.

I did all my wiring on my own, they're so bad. When I moved in, they had DirecTV hooked up, and even that was terribly run/crimped. I redid all of it, but used the same wires DirecTV had run through the house initially, only for Comcast.

As for your cat chewing your wires, that's not his fault...and since DirecTV uses the same exact type of wires, maybe you need to b****slap your cat, because it sounds like you are just going to have the same issues again if DTV runs new wiring and your cat decides to chew it up, not even DTV will re-run wires for free.

I just need to get some cord protectors or tape some tinfoil to them or something like that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)

Over the past 8 years or so, I've had Dish, Comcast, and UVerse. Dish was okay, but at the time they were charging $20/month for HD services (this was probably 7 years ago. Plus we had some issues with reception. Anyway, went to Comcast for a few years. After the initial discount fro switching, the price skyrocketed. But we didn't switch until UVerse was available in our area. The record 4 shows at once feature was what we really wanted. We've had UVerse for a few years now, and I've been very satisfied. We've had a technician come out a couple times. Once was for poor reception, and they found that some wrong connectors were used during the initial set-up. They replaced everything for no charge. The few times I've had to call for other issues, they were able to fix them over the phone and then gave us something free for a few months for the trouble.

At this point, there'd have to be an outstanding deal for me to even consider switching. Partly because I like UVerse and partly because it's such a pain in the ass to change.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
How many seasons have there been of Homeland? I think I might pick that up this weekend before the Bulls/Hawks/NU trifecta tomorrow night.

Season 3 just started. The 1st two seasons had about 12 episodes each. I think it's one of the better dramas on TV right now.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
These are all one season in so not much to catch up on:

House of Cards

Orange is the New Black

Top of the Lake

Is House of Cards all politics talk?? I'm not into politics and don't know any of the lingo so I never really started that.

Orange is the New Black I watched and it was pretty good.

What is Top of the Lake about?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
Is House of Cards all politics talk?? I'm not into politics and don't know any of the lingo so I never really started that.

Orange is the New Black I watched and it was pretty good.

What is Top of the Lake about?

You don't need to be a political junkie to enjoy House of Cards.

Top of the Lake (via wikipedia):

Top of the Lake is an acclaimed 2013 television miniseries written by Jane Campion and Gerard Lee, and directed by Campion and Australian Garth Davis. Filmed and set in New Zealand, the drama series follows a detective (Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss) investigating the disappearance of a pregnant 12-year-old girl.

Reviews of Top of the Lake have been positive, referring to the series as "masterfully made", "beautiful", "mysterious", "riveting" and "a masterpiece". It received a score of 86 from Metacritic and a score of 92% from Rotten Tomatoes.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)

It's as much about politics as something like game of thrones. It's just the backdrop for a story about drama, alliances, deceit, backstabbing, etc.