2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
I've got it on DVR. If I hadn't have come this far, I would have been done with the show.

Same. I stopped truly enjoying the show about 2 years ago but I can put up with 20 minutes a week to see how it ends since I don't watch a ton of TV shows anyways.

Even though the show is by no means the same old HIMYM, I still enjoy it. Not a popular thought, but I think Ted is the best character and just really can't wait to see how it all wraps up.

Like Sepinwall said, I am getting sick of the same Farhampton scenes and wish it was at least somewhat back to normal. And like Brian said, get Marshall there so we can stop with the annoying sassy black woman and Marshall fighting.

Masters of Sex is nearing must-watch territory for those needing a new show. The T-n-A is great, but the characters and various story lines are actually pretty engaging.

Boardwalk is/has been awesome this season. I don't get the people who complain that nothing happens. Everything is a set-up, just like the Sopranos. And the sets/costumers are awesome.

My only question about the latest episode is:

what does Nucky have to lose by backing Chalky? Or rather, what does he have to lose if Chalky takes care of Narcisse? He's not in the booze game, he's not bringing in people to the club. Nucky derives zero benefit from him, so why would he be against a "war?" I don't think that's been explained enough, especially since any "war" would involve a gang of Narcisse supporters we haven't seen. We don't even know if he has a gang to back him do we?

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Even though the show is by no means the same old HIMYM, I still enjoy it. Not a popular thought, but I think Ted is the best character and just really can't wait to see how it all wraps up.

Like Sepinwall said, I am getting sick of the same Farhampton scenes and wish it was at least somewhat back to normal. And like Brian said, get Marshall there so we can stop with the annoying sassy black woman and Marshall fighting.

no-hell-no.gif

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Masters of Sex is nearing must-watch territory for those needing a new show. The T-n-A is great, but the characters and various story lines are actually pretty engaging.

Boardwalk is/has been awesome this season. I don't get the people who complain that nothing happens. Everything is a set-up, just like the Sopranos. And the sets/costumers are awesome.

My only question about the latest episode is:

what does Nucky have to lose by backing Chalky? Or rather, what does he have to lose if Chalky takes care of Narcisse? He's not in the booze game, he's not bringing in people to the club. Nucky derives zero benefit from him, so why would he be against a "war?" I don't think that's been explained enough, especially since any "war" would involve a gang of Narcisse supporters we haven't seen. We don't even know if he has a gang to back him do we?

Isn't Narcisse the owner of the Cotton Club and other larger, more established venues? I thought he also had most of the major talent under contract unless I'm mistaken.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
Isn't Narcisse the owner of the Cotton Club and other larger, more established venues? I thought he also had most of the major talent under contract unless I'm mistaken.

I think he is a talent promoter/manager, but I don't see how that changes things. I mean, the club appeared to be doing well before he came along and inserted himself into the situation. And if he was a rival club owner, taking him out might be good for business.

Seems to me Nucky just doesnlt want to get involved, but that's not really a good explanation for why he won't give Chalky approval to take him out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
I think he is a talent promoter/manager, but I don't see how that changes things. I mean, the club appeared to be doing well before he came along and inserted himself into the situation. And if he was a rival club owner, taking him out might be good for business.

Seems to me Nucky just doesnlt want to get involved, but that's not really a good explanation for why he won't give Chalky approval to take him out.

But Narcisse has a stake in Chalky's club. It was part of the settlement for Purnsley killing that white dude who worked for the Doctor.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
no-hell-no.gif

I said, not a popular thought - I understand why people don't like him, but to me, he is the best.

Of course I like the rest as well, so tough call. HIMYM is my favorite show, I do wish they ended it a season ago though.

I'm a week behind all of the major shows, that's my excuse for not posting more.

I did catch Homeland from last week though. I have no idea where this show is going. The entire Dana/Brody family storyline is completely unnecessary and downright boring. And the Saul/Carrie/random Iranian person storyline is too confusing to follow. I'm not sure why i'm supposed to care about him or what role he played in anything. Did he plan the CIA bombing? Did he finance it? So confused.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
I'm a week behind all of the major shows, that's my excuse for not posting more.

I did catch Homeland from last week though. I have no idea where this show is going. The entire Dana/Brody family storyline is completely unnecessary and downright boring. And the Saul/Carrie/random Iranian person storyline is too confusing to follow. I'm not sure why i'm supposed to care about him or what role he played in anything. Did he plan the CIA bombing? Did he finance it? So confused.

A lot is answered about the Iranian this week. And I agree with the Dana s***. I hope we never see her again this season.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
Kurt Sutter was on Howard Stern this morning and he is hoping to make a show called Original 9 the prequel to SOA. I would begin two years after SOA ended. Sounds liek soem pretty cool stuff.

Gotta dig a 70's motorcycle club show.

Too bad we know how it ends.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Too bad we know how it ends.

This is true but it would be interesting to finally see the back-stories of the different characters that we mostly only heard about in SOA.

I had to look up who the first 9 even were because a few were barely referred to. The only ones I could name off the top of my head were John Teller, Clay Marrow, Piney, McGee and Lenny the Pimp.

Wiki link

I always thought Otto (Sutter's character) was first 9 as well. Guess not.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
Kurt Sutter was on Howard Stern this morning and he is hoping to make a show called Original 9 the prequel to SOA. I would begin two years after SOA ended. Sounds liek soem pretty cool stuff.

Gotta dig a 70's motorcycle club show.

Prequel to SOA that starts 2 years after the show?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Gotta tell ya SOA is having a nice season.

The prequel would be good because it goes back to them working the bulls*** jobs, see Bobby Elvis, things early on that made the show different that were cool.

Why the f*** does every episode have to be an hour and a half? It's just piling up on my DVR, because that's such a daunting commitment (something like 65 real minutes without commercials). I'm much more down for spending 42 minutes with the Sons on a weekly basis.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Why the f*** does every episode have to be an hour and a half? It's just piling up on my DVR, because that's such a daunting commitment (something like 65 real minutes without commercials). I'm much more down for spending 42 minutes with the Sons on a weekly basis.

Same here. The only time my wife and I get to watch some shows is after the kids are in bed, and settling down to watch a 90 minute (60+ minutes of actual show) is tough. I think I have six episodes on the DVR, and I'm trying to not read anything about it.