2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
Apparently Season 5 will be Boardwalk's last season. Will only be 8-10 episodes as well.

I guess Terrance Winter said he wants to work on other projects. I hope one of those projects is a Chicago spinoff of Boardwalk with Al Capone. Call it "The Outfit" or "Chicago Outfit" or something.

A couple years too late. It would have been much better off as a mini series and hasn't been good since season 2.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
Apparently Season 5 will be Boardwalk's last season. Will only be 8-10 episodes as well.

I guess Terrance Winter said he wants to work on other projects. I hope one of those projects is a Chicago spinoff of Boardwalk with Al Capone. Call it "The Outfit" or "Chicago Outfit" or something.

Seems a little odd that they'd cut ties with all of their major brands except for GoT in the same year. No more True Blood, Treme or Boardwalk. All new shows + GoT? Didn't they learn their lesson after the Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood ended at roughly the same time? Who remembers John From Cincinnati, Tell Me You Love Me, In Treatment, etc. They went 2-3 years without a decent drama/50 min show.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
185.gif

I've never seen a show that struggles to fill time as much as Boardwalk. It's 90% filler. I've never missed an episode though. Sunday night is the only time I watch TV, so it's kind of a ritual.

The show would have been much better if it focused on Jimmy as the protagonist. Nucky is dry and unlikable. He just isn't compelling in any way. I don't like or dislike him, he's just there. The writers dug themselves a hole when they had Jimmy sleep with his mom. After that, they had to kill him and the show has suffered.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
Seems a little odd that they'd cut ties with all of their major brands except for GoT in the same year. No more True Blood, Treme or Boardwalk. All new shows + GoT? Didn't they learn their lesson after the Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood ended at roughly the same time? Who remembers John From Cincinnati, Tell Me You Love Me, In Treatment, etc. They went 2-3 years without a decent drama/50 min show.

Does anyone actually watch Treme?

Also, I actually liked John from Cincinnati. :-D

Some Cable shows dont get the footing they need to succeed because they come immediately after the cancellation/ending of a really successful show.

IIRC In Treatment was a critical success, they just didnt have the viewers. Tell Me You Love Me was very similar to that

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
I've never seen a show that struggles to fill time as much as Boardwalk. It's 90% filler. I've never missed an episode though. Sunday night is the only time I watch TV, so it's kind of a ritual.

The show would have been much better if it focused on Jimmy as the protagonist. Nucky is dry and unlikable. He just isn't compelling in any way. I don't like or dislike him, he's just there. The writers dug themselves a hole when they had Jimmy sleep with his mom. After that, they had to kill him and the show has suffered.

I'm not sure what that means. IMO the show sometimes has too many characters and not enough time to tell the various stories. I don't think the problem is lack of good stories to tell.

I agree Nucky isn't the best but I think he's interesting enough to be the "main" character. And really he's been less and less the main story. He just happens to be the main character connected to all of the others.

Like Richard, I think Jimmy's story ran its course. He was Nucky's guy and then he back stabbed him. There was no coming back from that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
Some Cable shows dont get the footing they need to succeed because they come immediately after the cancellation/ending of a really successful show.

IIRC In Treatment was a critical success, they just didnt have the viewers. Tell Me You Love Me was very similar to that

They were both ungodly slow IMO. Tell me you love me had some nice t-n-a though.

John From Cincinnati just never had enough hook for me. The idea was interesting - mysterious guy shows up in a world filled with odd and varied characters. But nothing really happened.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
They were both ungodly slow IMO. Tell me you love me had some nice t-n-a though.

John From Cincinnati just never had enough hook for me. The idea was interesting - mysterious guy shows up in a world filled with odd and varied characters. But nothing really happened.

They were slow, but that was the nature of their content. I think around that time HBO was just throwing out some good, but underdeveloped show ideas to fill the vacuum caused by the end of their cash cows like Sopranos, Deadwood, etc.

Hell, they even admitted that they cancelled Tell me you love me because they had no idea what they would do with the show in the second season. Whoops

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
I'm not sure what that means. IMO the show sometimes has too many characters and not enough time to tell the various stories. I don't think the problem is lack of good stories to tell.

I agree Nucky isn't the best but I think he's interesting enough to be the "main" character. And really he's been less and less the main story. He just happens to be the main character connected to all of the others.

Like Richard, I think Jimmy's story ran its course. He was Nucky's guy and then he back stabbed him. There was no coming back from that.

The show is filled with meaningless scenes and conversations that have little to no consequences or connection the main plot. Gillian's character was completely useless and only allowed Richard to stay relevant and connected. Her scenes were awful since Jimmy's death. Van Alden is just a vehicle to include Chicago. Margaret? Who cares? Did Rothstein have any important scenes this year? They've wasted Lansky and Luciano.

Part of the reason they have so many characters is because the main character is awful and boring. The show should have focused on Jimmy from the very beginning with Nucky being a mentor and plot catalyst.

The main problem with the show is that I don't give a s*** who lives or dies because all the characters just aren't compelling. Chalky's the closest thing, but his dialogue is trite and his character is over-acted.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
One show I really wish they hadn't canceled is "How To Make It in America". I really liked that one.

I liked it, but everything was just so convenient and formulaic. It did remind me of hanging out with the art school/hipster crowd before we all got old. None of us were that good looking though.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
The show is filled with meaningless scenes and conversations that have little to no consequences or connection the main plot. Gillian's character was completely useless and only allowed Richard to stay relevant and connected. Her scenes were awful since Jimmy's death. Van Alden is just a vehicle to include Chicago. Margaret? Who cares? Did Rothstein have any important scenes this year? They've wasted Lansky and Luciano.

Part of the reason they have so many characters is because the main character is awful and boring. The show should have focused on Jimmy from the very beginning with Nucky being a mentor and plot catalyst.

The main problem with the show is that I don't give a s*** who lives or dies because all the characters just aren't compelling. Chalky's the closest thing, but his dialogue is trite and his character is over-acted.

Sounds like you just don't like the shows setup, which is fine. The show was never really about one guy, it's about several groups of people. I like most of the characters on the show and I think it's interesting when the writers do some back story on them. The characters were initially all closely connected but now they've spread out and because they've done a good job with the "meaningless scenes" they've created interesting characters with their own problems and issues that need resolving. Van Alden is a perfect example. 3 season ago you could have said all the weird scenes with him alone were not necessary but it all added to his transformation into a member of Capone's crew.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
Sounds like you just don't like the shows setup, which is fine. The show was never really about one guy, it's about several groups of people. I like most of the characters on the show and I think it's interesting when the writers do some back story on them. The characters were initially all closely connected but now they've spread out and because they've done a good job with the "meaningless scenes" they've created interesting characters with their own problems and issues that need resolving. Van Alden is a perfect example. 3 season ago you could have said all the weird scenes with him alone were not necessary but it all added to his transformation into a member of Capone's crew.

Fair enough. Maybe I just don't like the characters.