2013 TV Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
Why the f*** would you not want to watch Game of Thrones? The show and books are incredible!

Don't you watch that garbage show Davinci's Demons? But you refuse to watch a great HBO show?

I just don't get hating on Game of Thrones for no particular reason. It's not like we're talking about some overhyped show like Downton Abbey.

No. I watched the pilot, and then came on here and said it was stupid and unrealistic. I don't hate GoT, I just have 0 interest in ever watching it, besides checking out that scene that everyone was freaking out about.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)
Please tell me about all the realms and magic and special powers in Orphan Black. It's a weird show, easily the weirdest show I watch, I'll give you that, but it's not even close to the Dungeons and Dragons show on HBO.

inb4"IT'S NOTHING LIKE D&D!!!! YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!"

Sick comeback bro, you got all of us.

Since I am waiting for Netflix to add the final season of Fringe, I'm going to go back to my HBOGO app and try GOT again. I watched the first 5 episodes about a year and a half ago and just had trouble following some things and was already full of shows, so gave up.

My viewing is light now so may as well give it another shot since the acclaim has been so loud for this season.

So Sally Draper is so growing up to be a stripper, right? Daddy issues, much?

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
Disappointed with the GoT finale.

They had the perfect cliffhanger ending set up with Lady Stoneheart being "awoken" and failed to capitalize on it. I really hope this doesn't mean she has been cut from the show.

I've gotta imagine that with the VERY specific cut throat she will come back.

Plus, there's a lot more than just her coming back, who's going to be the one that brings her back?

Overall, loved the season. They did so many things incredibly well that the minor things don't bother me. I can't wait for the next season to start going through these story lines, with some of their being different from the books as well

(The Greyjoy stories look like they will be really good going forward).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)

I've gotta imagine that with the VERY specific cut throat she will come back.

Plus, there's a lot more than just her coming back, who's going to be the one that brings her back?

Overall, loved the season. They did so many things incredibly well that the minor things don't bother me. I can't wait for the next season to start going through these story lines, with some of their being different from the books as well

(The Greyjoy stories look like they will be really good going forward).

They've already announced they are casting the Red Viper (not a spoiler) so for that alone I'm excited for Season 4. Just of all the ways to end it, it had to be that Dany scene, which was just kind of meh to me.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)
Please tell me about all the realms and magic and special powers in Orphan Black. It's a weird show, easily the weirdest show I watch, I'll give you that, but it's not even close to the Dungeons and Dragons show on HBO.

inb4"IT'S NOTHING LIKE D&D!!!! YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!"

Apparently Game of Thrones is the Apple of tv. You're clueless, just an FYI.

I never got into Lord of the Rings, I've only seen the first hour of the first one. However, Game of Thrones is amaze.

Entertainment Weekly article with Martin and the HBO guys. HBO is beginning to realize how terribly slow Martin is at writing books...

Not sure what thread this really belongs in, but there aren't any spoilers in the article. Lots of interesting issues for the TV show that Martin appears fairly oblivious toward...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/09/game-of-thrones-future/

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Entertainment Weekly article with Martin and the HBO guys. HBO is beginning to realize how terribly slow Martin is at writing books...

Not sure what thread this really belongs in, but there aren't any spoilers in the article. Lots of interesting issues for the TV show that Martin appears fairly oblivious toward...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/09/game-of-thrones-future/

He'd have to take another 6-7 years to finish a book and a half (if he's truly done with half of book 6) for this to be a problem. Next season is the 2nd half of book 3, and books 4 and 5 can be stretched out to 3 seasons if need be. There's plenty of source material to keep this thing going until he finishes the books.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
He'd have to take another 6-7 years to finish a book and a half (if he's truly done with half of book 6) for this to be a problem. Next season is the 2nd half of book 3, and books 4 and 5 can be stretched out to 3 seasons if need be. There's plenty of source material to keep this thing going until he finishes the books.

and who knows, maybe book 6 is huge and that can be split into a few seasons.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)

In the article they cite to the following concerns:

1) Direct quote from Benioff, "If we tried to turn this into a 10-season show we’d strangle the golden goose.”

2) Salary negotiations with a massive cast (they made it work with the Sopranos, but it's an issue out there) and

3) Lots of kids in the cast who are going to age quickly.

Additionally, it took Martin 5 years to write Book 4 and 6 years to write Book 5. It certainly is not a stretch to say that it might take Martin more than 6-7 years to write a book and a half (and per Wikipedia, a lot of the "finished" pages of Book 6 are scenes he initially intended to include in Book 5).

There is certainly plenty of source material to stretch this out indefinitely, but there are certainly issues for HBO if Book 6 is released in 2016.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Disappointed with the GoT finale.

They had the perfect cliffhanger ending set up with Lady Stoneheart being "awoken" and failed to capitalize on it. I really hope this doesn't mean she has been cut from the show.

Strongly disagree.

Spoilers in book 4

You can't bring a character back one episode after killing them. That's way too early and lessens the impact of the death. Also, Lady Stoneheart also only shows up TWICE more total (killing some Freys, the scene with Brienne way later). They can't bring her back and then do virtually nothing with her for seasons 4, 5, 6 of the tv show.

There is no rush at all for bringing her back.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
Apparently Game of Thrones is the Apple of tv. You're clueless, just an FYI.

I never got into Lord of the Rings, I've only seen the first hour of the first one. However, Game of Thrones is amaze.

Lol, no. The difference is that I hate Apple. I don't hate GoT. I have no reason to. It just doesn't interest me. I don't see the big issue there.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
Lol, no. The difference is that I hate Apple. I don't hate GoT. I have no reason to. It just doesn't interest me. I don't see the big issue there.

Fair response.

I too was once like you. Game of Thrones had started - it was probably 7 episodes in or so when a buddy of mine implored me to give it a shot. I was very, very skeptical. Again, I couldn't care less about Lord of the Rings or Final Fantasy or D&D or crap like that.

I gave it a shot. I fell in love. I read every book. It's fantastic.

Just saying you should give it a shot before you knock it - because as you clearly watch a f***ton of tv, you're doing yourself a disservice by not enjoying possibly the best show on tv right now.

Hm.

Got Netflix back obviously because of Arrested Development. This morning while at the gym I fired up House of Cards (again, I love my tablet at the gym for cardio days).

I'm quite impressed with episode one. In fact, I can't wait to watch more.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
Strongly disagree.

Spoilers in book 4

You can't bring a character back one episode after killing them. That's way too early and lessens the impact of the death. Also, Lady Stoneheart also only shows up TWICE more total (killing some Freys, the scene with Brienne way later). They can't bring her back and then do virtually nothing with her for seasons 4, 5, 6 of the tv show.

There is no rush at all for bringing her back.

Couple of issues I had with the finale, number one was definitely the timeline issues. Joffrey never appointed Bolton as ward of the north, I believe Tommen did. Also the torture of Theon wasnt revealed until way later so i dont understand why they brought it in now.

Re: Theon I thought the same thing.

In fact, when he was taken you assumed he had been killed, and when Martin re-introduced him as Reek you weren't sure who he was supposed to be until you could kinda piece it together. That was a cool way of bringing him back I thought. It's clearly harder to "surprise" people like that with an actor, but still. I just didn't think that story needed to be told so early.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)

Couple of issues I had with the finale, number one was definitely the timeline issues. Joffrey never appointed Bolton as ward of the north, I believe Tommen did. Also the torture of Theon wasnt revealed until way later so i dont understand why they brought it in now.

Tywin appointed Bolton as Warden of the North after the Red Wedding.

If the show matched the books, then Theon would be seen at the end of season 2 and not show up again until sometime in season 5. That's too long a gap. I don't think it would work very well either. In the book, those events are covered by Theon remembering them. How would they do it on the show? Flashback? Theon talking to himself? Someone having to give a speech about it? It's best that they SHOW his transition into Reek.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)

They can't have characters come back years later. They would lose the actor. You have to get Ramsay on screen and Theon is a great way to do it.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)

Tywin appointed Bolton as Warden of the North after the Red Wedding.

If the show matched the books, then Theon would be seen at the end of season 2 and not show up again until sometime in season 5. That's too long a gap. I don't think it would work very well either. In the book, those events are covered by Theon remembering them. How would they do it on the show? Flashback? Theon talking to himself? Someone having to give a speech about it? It's best that they SHOW his transition into Reek.

Pretty sure it was after Joffrey died.