Reid going after the Procedural Filibuster

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
Anything the slows down the government's ability to make laws is a good thing. Getting rid of the Filibuster would be disastrous.

Ron Swanson? I figured your alias would be Lagavulin_16 or "Turf and Turf."

• 3 weeks later...

Leader Reid and minority leader McConnell have reached a "deal" regarding "reform" which effectively changes a few minor things around the edges to make the senate move slightly faster, but does not really remove any of the minority's ability to completely shut down the Senate.

Effective result may be that Reid's office is slightly less annoyed on bills that are going to be passed anyway. Nothing else will change.

Yeah part of the reason the Senate is such a self-licking ice cream cone is because it's full of a bunch of self-important blowhards who like it that way. This isn't really on Reid (although he's one of those blowhards too).

Now combine this with the recent DC court ruling on recess appointments (essentially eliminating them through some hack originalism), and you've enabled a minority party in one house of one branch to shut down much of the executive branch. NLRB can't function without a quorum, CFPB can't work without a director, there's tons of other executive and judicial vacancies.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Now combine this with the recent DC court ruling on recess appointments (essentially eliminating them through some hack originalism), and you've enabled a minority party in one house of one branch to shut down much of the executive branch. NLRB can't function without a quorum, CFPB can't work without a director, there's tons of other executive and judicial vacancies.

Then follow the rules to make appointments.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 10:45 PM)
Then follow the rules to make appointments.

I don't think you know why he made those recess appointments!

The "rules" allow the minority senate party to essentially nullify executive positions through extra-constitutional parliamentary procedures. E.g. the republicans flatly refuse to allow a confirmation vote on anyone for cpfb.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
I don't think you know why he made those recess appointments!

The "rules" allow the minority senate party to essentially nullify executive positions through extra-constitutional parliamentary procedures. E.g. the republicans flatly refuse to allow a confirmation vote on anyone for cpfb.

Well, those are the rules. You are just b****ing about it because for the moment they happen to be bad for your side. If the situation were reversed you would be screaming your lungs out about how Bush has no respect for the law, etc. The NLRB is a joke anyway, at least the way it was currently staffed.

The NLRB is currently understaffed to the point that it can't hold a quorum and is not able to function. Which is why Obama made the recess appointments, because Republicans refuse to allow a confirmation vote on anybody for exactly that reason. Note that, if a confirmation vote, or a vote to "advise and consent" were actually held, many or all of these appointments would be confirmed.

I don't know if Obama's recess appointments truly are legal, but the system's currently broken. The filibuster is s*** and should be eliminated forever. Elected majorities should be able to govern effectively and institute their policies and appointments with simple majority votes, whether it's Democrats, Republicans or anyone else. I'll be just as in favor of abolishing this non-constitutional subversion of democracy when the Republicans eventually retake the Senate.

Even if Obama's appointments weren't legal because of the BS pro-forma fake Senate sessions, the recent ruling is still hack-tacular and essentially removes the Recess Powers from the Constitution. Since the ruling is in conflict with other district courts, this is sure to go to the SC.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
The NLRB is currently understaffed to the point that it can't hold a quorum and is not able to function. Which is why Obama made the recess appointments, because Republicans refuse to allow a confirmation vote on anybody for exactly that reason. Note that, if a confirmation vote, or a vote to "advise and consent" were actually held, many or all of these appointments would be confirmed.

I don't know if Obama's recess appointments truly are legal, but the system's currently broken. The filibuster is s*** and should be eliminated forever. Elected majorities should be able to govern effectively and institute their policies and appointments with simple majority votes, whether it's Democrats, Republicans or anyone else. I'll be just as in favor of abolishing this non-constitutional subversion of democracy when the Republicans eventually retake the Senate.

Even if Obama's appointments weren't legal because of the BS pro-forma fake Senate sessions, the recent ruling is still hack-tacular and essentially removes the Recess Powers from the Constitution. Since the ruling is in conflict with other district courts, this is sure to go to the SC.

Waaaaaaaaa! That's all I see there.

Apparently the major player behind this victory is Miguel Estrada. Back in 2001, Estrada was nominated to a seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals D.C. Circuit. His nomination was successfully filibustered by Democrats for over two years, until Estrada withdrew his name from consideration in September 2003. Payback is a b****, eh?

• 3 weeks later...