2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Wii U looking really good after Nintendos press conference today

No kidding, I have NEVER read an IGN article that praised Nintendo as much as the one released today.

MarioKart WiiU, Yoshis Island, Super Smash Bros WiiU, Mario Galaxy WiiU, Zelda, and a WiiU Zelda Windwaker is a pretty awesome bunch of announcements though

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
No kidding, I have NEVER read an IGN article that praised Nintendo as much as the one released today.

MarioKart WiiU, Yoshis Island, Super Smash Bros WiiU, Mario Galaxy WiiU, Zelda, and a WiiU Zelda Windwaker is a pretty awesome bunch of announcements though

Why is every game titled WiiU or U. Dear lord.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:07 PM)
Why is every game titled WiiU or U. Dear lord.

Placeholders.

So THQ auctioned off their assets today. Take Two is going to take over the WWE license. Surprised they outbid EA.

Other stuff

Relic Entertainment

Makers of Company of Heroes

Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.

Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal

Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.

Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve

(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)

Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.

Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row

Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.

Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront

Released 2011; due for a sequel.

Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.

No runner-up.

Metro

Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.

Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551

Runner-up: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park

License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.

Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

No runner-up.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
Placeholders.

So THQ auctioned off their assets today. Take Two is going to take over the WWE license. Surprised they outbid EA.

Other stuff

Relic Entertainment

Makers of Company of Heroes

Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.

Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal

Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.

Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve

(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)

Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.

Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row

Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.

Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront

Released 2011; due for a sequel.

Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.

No runner-up.

Metro

Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.

Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551

Runner-up: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park

License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.

Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

No runner-up.

I know a couple of guys that work at Volition, based in Champaign. I always wanted to work there but i'm not a designer or creative person. That and they make crappy games.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
I'm not sure it has been discussed in here but the Walking Dead video game is awesome. I can't wait for season 2.

Ya, it was really good. Its amazing the attachment you grow with Clementine over the course of the game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
I'm not sure it has been discussed in here but the Walking Dead video game is awesome. I can't wait for season 2.

Great game, although I wished the big choices had a more profound impact on the story, in particular the ending. Yes, people would remember things you did and said, but no matter what the ultimate ending was the same.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)

The question is what is coming out this year and are there any surprises they are holding back until E3.

My guess is if Retro Studios isn't developing Mario Kart, then they'll have a big announcement at E3.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Yeah, won all the game of the year awards. Want to try it out.

I liked it, but it has some definite issues. I don't think it should have won any game of the year awards. It's worth playing, but it lacks polish. Plus, it's point and click adventure so you have to like that genre to some extent or else it gets long. Some of the best storytelling you'll see in video games though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
Great game, although I wished the big choices had a more profound impact on the story, in particular the ending. Yes, people would remember things you did and said, but no matter what the ultimate ending was the same.

I don't understand why people complain about that in these choice games. What do you expect? The devs to make 10 entirely different versions of 1 game?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
Have you never seen a Nintendo game? They have been putting the console name next to the game forever.

Not on the GameCube, which is honestly the one I remember most :P

But I feel like there's more of it with the WiiU so far.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
Not on the GameCube, which is honestly the one I remember most :P

But I feel like there's more of it with the WiiU so far.

GameCube was the skip. The 64 had a few, Wii had a lot, WiiU is continuing it.

I'm really excited to see the gamepad Conversion for Aliens: Colonial Marines. I think it is gonna be awesome. Some of the stuff I do with the gamepad already with just Nintendoland and the ZombieU demo is really cool.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
I don't understand why people complain about that in these choice games. What do you expect? The devs to make 10 entirely different versions of 1 game?

How about two or three different endings? Is that really asking too much for a game all about "choice"?

I could name a half dozen games off the top of my head in a variety of genres that offer multiple endings based on your decisions.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
How about two or three different endings? Is that really asking too much for a game all about "choice"?

I could name a half dozen games off the top of my head in a variety of genres that offer multiple endings based on your decisions.

I guess it all depends on your version of different, but it's hard to make a sequel when you're trying to make distinctly different endings.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
I guess it all depends on your version of different, but it's hard to make a sequel when you're trying to make distinctly different endings.

The original Metal Gear Solid had two different endings, based on a single event halfway through the game. As far as the sequels are concerned, one ending is the actual one that occurred.

I guess I was disappointed that a few key events didn't have a larger impact on the ending in the Walking Dead. In particular, deciding whether or not to take the food out of the "abandoned" car. It's cool that decision came back into the story, but it really changes nothing in the end other than a conversation you have with someone.

I only played through it once, but I read that no matter what you choose it always will be the same ending for Lee and the same people will be alive at the end. The only difference is how long certain people live based on what choices you make when you decide who to save in what situation.

In the sequel I imagine there will be a new group and a new main character since Lee is dead. It wouldnt make sense to play as Clementine and it would be difficult to play as anyone else and not carry over Lee's feelings for Clementine.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 05:56 AM)
The original Metal Gear Solid had two different endings, based on a single event halfway through the game. As far as the sequels are concerned, one ending is the actual one that occurred.

Yeah, you make one ending "canon" and go from there. Any piece of literature or film that has ambiguous or branching endings or a wide range of people writing for the same characters (e.g. Star Wars, comic books) makes these choices.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 05:56 AM)

I guess I was disappointed that a few key events didn't have a larger impact on the ending in the Walking Dead. In particular, deciding whether or not to take the food out of the "abandoned" car. It's cool that decision came back into the story, but it really changes nothing in the end other than a conversation you have with someone.

KOTOR I (I thought KOTOR II was a better game but the mediocre ending really did nothing for me, though I never played with the Wookie, forgetting his name)

Fallout: New Vegas (main storyline and all DLC had multiple endings)

Fallout 3

A lot of games like that do anyways.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
Yeah, you make one ending "canon" and go from there. Any piece of literature or film that has ambiguous or branching endings or a wide range of people writing for the same characters (e.g. Star Wars, comic books) makes these choices.

Except the Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, which made all six endings canon.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
f*** now I have to play this game too

Fun fact:

Bethesda claims that the scale of the game is equal to twice the size of Great Britain:[3] around 487,000 square kilometers/ 188,000 sq miles. The game world features over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore. According to Todd Howard, game director and executive producer for Bethesda, the game's sequel, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, is 0.01% the size of Daggerfall, but most of Daggerfall's terrain was randomly generated. Vvardenfell, the explorable part of Morrowind in the third game has 10 square miles (25.9 square kilometers).[4][5] The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has approximately 16 square miles (41.4 square kilometers) to explore.[6] In Daggerfall, there are 750,000+ non-player characters (NPCs) for the player to interact with, compared to the count of around 1,000 NPCs found in Morrowind and Oblivion. However, the geography and the characters in these later games are much more detailed.

It takes a couple weeks to walk from one end of the map to the other.