2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely excited about getting back into the video game landscape for the final wave of great games of this generation. I might skip Bioshock Infinite, but even if I do - Watch Dogs and GTA 5 should be incredible.

Of course, I'd have to pry myself away from NBA 2k13...

I hate basketball, but I borrowed NBA 2k13 from a friend because The Show RTTS was boring me and I wanted to see how other sports game did their Player Mode thing.

I must say, I still hate basketball, but 2k13's My Player thing is a LOT of fun. It's so much more in depth and put together than The Show RTTS is. RTTS seems more realistic, and you really need to "earn" it more in that game, but My Player does a great job with OFF THE FIELD stuff. Press conferences are fun to make my player sound like an asshole, sponsorships and billboards are cool, meeting with the GM is really cool, and best of all, ACTUALLY USING MONEY YOU EARN is good. Not sure I like that you use your money to buy skill, I think RTTS training points is more appropriate, but I actually have a reason to want to go to Free Agency, to sign a big deal, to get my next paycheck. It's actually worthwhile and makes me want to keep playing.

Very nice job 2K. SCEA, take notes.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
I hate basketball, but I borrowed NBA 2k13 from a friend because The Show RTTS was boring me and I wanted to see how other sports game did their Player Mode thing.

I must say, I still hate basketball, but 2k13's My Player thing is a LOT of fun. It's so much more in depth and put together than The Show RTTS is. RTTS seems more realistic, and you really need to "earn" it more in that game, but My Player does a great job with OFF THE FIELD stuff. Press conferences are fun to make my player sound like an asshole, sponsorships and billboards are cool, meeting with the GM is really cool, and best of all, ACTUALLY USING MONEY YOU EARN is good. Not sure I like that you use your money to buy skill, I think RTTS training points is more appropriate, but I actually have a reason to want to go to Free Agency, to sign a big deal, to get my next paycheck. It's actually worthwhile and makes me want to keep playing.

Very nice job 2K. SCEA, take notes.

I've been playing RTTS the past few weeks and I'm 2 months into my second season still toiling away as a CF for the Charlotte Knights. Twice now I've gotten a message that says my performance is good enough to earn a call-up but they just don't have room on the 25-man roster right now.

I made the AA all-star game in my first season but kept getting benched because I would accidentally hit the analog stick the wrong direction on pick-offs and it would count against me as a CS.

I'm also horrible at drawing walks. I finally figured out when one of my advancement goals includes drawing X number of walks that I can just sim a few games until I get the required number.

I actually started out at 3B because I figured that was one place the Sox always seemed to have trouble filling but for some reason they are listed as "deep" at that position and "thin" pretty much everywhere else besides pitching.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
I've been playing RTTS the past few weeks and I'm 2 months into my second season still toiling away as a CF for the Charlotte Knights. Twice now I've gotten a message that says my performance is good enough to earn a call-up but they just don't have room on the 25-man roster right now.

I made the AA all-star game in my first season but kept getting benched because I would accidentally hit the analog stick the wrong direction on pick-offs and it would count against me as a CS.

I'm also horrible at drawing walks. I finally figured out when one of my advancement goals includes drawing X number of walks that I can just sim a few games until I get the required number.

I actually started out at 3B because I figured that was one place the Sox always seemed to have trouble filling but for some reason they are listed as "deep" at that position and "thin" pretty much everywhere else besides pitching.

Thankfully the patch came out today and one of the fixes was for the 1st pitch meatball bug. I stopped playing RTTS at some point in AAA when I was batting .500 and on a 60+ game hitting streak in July.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Thankfully the patch came out today and one of the fixes was for the 1st pitch meatball bug. I stopped playing RTTS at some point in AAA when I was batting .500 and on a 60+ game hitting streak in July.

I've never heard of this bug or even noticed it for that matter. If anything, the first pitch for me is usually an off-speed pitch at my knees rather than anything down the middle.

I was hitting over .400 in AA when I got moved up but now I'm down to around .375 or so. I figure that's not too terribly high for the minors. I figure it might drop a little more when I finally make it to the majors. I've gotten a few 20+ and 30+ hitting streaks as well.

Besides, it's more fun to play when I can be one of the best. If I was hitting .250 and not advancing at all it wouldn't be much fun.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
I can't wait for Bioshock Infinite.

It's only been about three years since they first announced it.

I think reading some of the blurbs from reviews set my expectations way too high. I mean I was reading things like GREATEST STORY OF OUR GENERATION, and GREATEST CREATIVE FEAT I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED.

It's hard for a game to live up to that. It's a good game don't get me wrong. I just wasn't feeling anything like that. Also it's on the short side, it can be beaten in under 12 hours.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
It's hard for a game to live up to that. It's a good game don't get me wrong. I just wasn't feeling anything like that. Also it's on the short side, it can be beaten in under 12 hours.

I shall redbox it.

I think reading some of the blurbs from reviews set my expectations way too high. I mean I was reading things like GREATEST STORY OF OUR GENERATION, and GREATEST CREATIVE FEAT I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED.

Yeah, no game can really live up to that. Except maybe the first Super Mario Bros.

That being said, Bioshock is a really great game. Only about two hours into it, but I'm really enjoying it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
I shall redbox it.

I'm thinking this too.

What do people think about the atmosphere/setting in the clouds? 99.9% of the awesomeness of the first Bioshock was the sense that you were underwater in the dark. I played that game at 2am with the lights off and the sound cranked up and scared myself silly multiple times. I don't think I can get the same feeling being up in the clouds.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm thinking this too.

What do people think about the atmosphere/setting in the clouds? 99.9% of the awesomeness of the first Bioshock was the sense that you were underwater in the dark. I played that game at 2am with the lights off and the sound cranked up and scared myself silly multiple times. I don't think I can get the same feeling being up in the clouds.

It is kinda weird playing a Bioshock game in a bright and sunny atmosphere. There are plenty of times where you have to go into buildings that dark and kinda creepy.

Also there is no creepy splicers running around.

Sounds like Fable. Given, two completely different genres all together, but I remembered hearing and reading the same things about Fable for XBox, and it was like...uhh, yeah, this is good, but where's the other 60 hours you usually play in an RPG?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
What do people think about the atmosphere/setting in the clouds?

It really made the opening of the game. It was really well done. I've heard alot of people say how much they enjoyed the first part of the game, and that really contributed to it.

There are dark places throughout the game, but I don't really recall any flat out scary moments.

I just beat the game in about 7 hours, one sitting.. so yeah its VERY short and that's a bummer.. however the ending, in my opinion, was very satisfying and made the short game worth it. Anyone else get to the ending yet, looking for another opinion on it.

QUOTE (TRU @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
I just beat the game in about 7 hours, one sitting.. so yeah its VERY short and that's a bummer.. however the ending, in my opinion, was very satisfying and made the short game worth it. Anyone else get to the ending yet, looking for another opinion on it.

I thought the ending was brilliant. It's an ending to have to sit and think about and continue to think about long after playing the game. I'm actually going to play it again and see if I can pick up on some stuff I might not have got the first time around.

This is one of the better games ever made.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
7 hours, hard to justify purchase.

Unless you're into DLC and that stuff no its prolly not worth a buy, definitely a rent for sure. Its a great game and the ending made me look back and see how so much made sense now from earlier in the game. Loved it.