2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (TRU @ May 22, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
I see no problem with the used game fees they are talking about.. I buy everything new anyways..

Here is my question.. you have to install all games onto your xbox1 to play them, then you dont need the disc anymore from my understanding.. so does this mean I can buy a new game, go home and install it, and then trade it in immediately for max store credit? If so, I love this idea..

My thoughts on this are that they are probably going to have an activation code on the game. This code will be locked to your gamer id. If you are to trade the game in, you would have to release the game from your id and it would not play on your system anymore. On gamestop's end, they would just not accept any game that did not have a unlocked activation code. This would work out for everybody. Gamestop would stay in business, consumers would still be able to buy used games without paying extra. Whether this is how they are doing it, I have no idea, but if I worked for Microsoft this would be my suggestion.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 22, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
My thoughts on this are that they are probably going to have an activation code on the game. This code will be locked to your gamer id. If you are to trade the game in, you would have to release the game from your id and it would not play on your system anymore. On gamestop's end, they would just not accept any game that did not have a unlocked activation code. This would work out for everybody. Gamestop would stay in business, consumers would still be able to buy used games without paying extra. Whether this is how they are doing it, I have no idea, but if I worked for Microsoft this would be my suggestion.

I don't think that's how it works.. That means that if I buy a new game, install it on my system, then take to my friends house where he would need to install it and "buy" it to be able to play then I no longer own the game and would have to "rebuy" it when I go back home..

This is my understanding. I buy the game, I own that game and I go home and install it onto my system. I no longer need the disc so I go trade it back into Gamestop for store credit. Gamestop then is able to resell that game to some dumbass who then goes home, inserts the disc, and has to pay a "fee" or whatever it is they are going to do.

Everything I am reading about the XBOX and how its more geared towards an entertainment hub and not gamers is really turning me off to the system. I will obviously wait to see what E3 has in store but I really do NOT want anything to do with connect. The last thing I need is to have Jose skype me his penis. I dont care to play kinect games, I dont want to have to turn on the system or start games by talking to the XBOX. The kinect must ALWAYS be on for the system to work, I hate that.

The worst part is Playstation is such an inferior system in terms of online presentation, options, the controller, presentation.. but I reallllly dont want to have to do anything with Kinect. I guess I am just going to have to wait until E3 before I decide if I am getting either of these consoles or none and just riding the 360 until I absolutely have to get a next gen.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
The last thing I need is to have Jose skype me his penis.

Hey i havent done that in a while. Im leaning towards ps4 because they come off as more game oriented, they talk about how the system is "indie-friendly" and plus playstation has all the bad ass exclusives i never got to play when i had an xbox. Only way i get an xbox is if you can facecam during the game so i can sit naked on my couch with an old style in hand chatting with carl as i pwn n00bs on call of duty

Microsoft’s Don Mattrick says that the price of the Xbox One controller will go up due to unprecedented demand for the next generation of console controllers.

Yesterday’s Xbox One console reveal was met with large disapproval from the gaming audience. One of the few highlights of the event was the reveal of the Xbox One controller which some say is the sole bright spot in one of the darkest days in gaming history.

“It’s really amazing how many people know about the Xbox One controller now,” said Mattrick speaking to press today, “In fact, we never thought the controller was an integral part of the larger Xbox One experience, but now we’ve realized we made a terrible mistake by not promoting it further. People are so excited about the controller, it almost seems like people want the controller more than the console itself.”

People have already begun to preorder the Xbox One controller at a much faster rate than preorders for the Xbox One system. Many have expressed their love for the controller saying the rumbling triggers and the ability to use it for playing PC games makes it the perfect controller for the next generation. Only a few people said they are planning to play Xbox One games with the new controller.

“In order for our business to continue to grow and thrive into the next generation, we plan on raising the price of the Xbox One controller from what some are expecting based on history,” continued Mattrick as the press started to boo, “We know that some of you might get upset at this news, but we are also bringing down the price of the Xbox One console by a significant amount due to this change.” The press then began to boo louder despite the positive news.

One business analyst suggested that Microsoft not sell the Xbox One controller separately in order to force people to buy the console.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/microsoft-to-incr...er-the-console/

Never thought the controller was an integral part of the larger xbox one experience?? its a freaking VIDEO GAME CONSOLE. Are these guys really that out of touch or is he trollin? That or they're trying really hard to make us deepthroat this idea of gesture-based gaming until gag reflex.

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 22, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)

Do you work for GameStop or something? Your idea makes NO sense for Microsoft. They want to increase new game sales, which is how console makers make most of their money. Game developers, including Microsoft, hate used games because it's money they believe should go to them. I apologize if I'm overlooking something you said, but all your idea does is possibly increase used game sales for GameStop.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 22, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
I see no problem with the used game fees they are talking about.. I buy everything new anyways..

Here is my question.. you have to install all games onto your xbox1 to play them, then you dont need the disc anymore from my understanding.. so does this mean I can buy a new game, go home and install it, and then trade it in immediately for max store credit? If so, I love this idea..

The PC market has been like this forever, I'd imagine this would be similar. You get an activation code that's only good once.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 23, 2013 -> 06:47 AM)
Do you work for GameStop or something? Your idea makes NO sense for Microsoft. They want to increase new game sales, which is how console makers make most of their money. Game developers, including Microsoft, hate used games because it's money they believe should go to them. I apologize if I'm overlooking something you said, but all your idea does is possibly increase used game sales for GameStop.

OTOH it does mean more people will be playing more games, which might mean more DLC.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:26 PM)
http://www.p4rgaming.com/microsoft-to-incr...er-the-console/

Never thought the controller was an integral part of the larger xbox one experience?? its a freaking VIDEO GAME CONSOLE. Are these guys really that out of touch or is he trollin? That or they're trying really hard to make us deepthroat this idea of gesture-based gaming until gag reflex.

I think the point was that people are more excited about the controller than the console, and that IS surprising. Who cares about the control? So long as it doesn't totally suck and it's functional it'll get the job done.

I didn't realize you had to have Kinect on this thing. That's the nail in the coffin for me. OUT.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
I think the point was that people are more excited about the controller than the console, and that IS surprising. Who cares about the control? So long as it doesn't totally suck and it's functional it'll get the job done.

Remember the original XBOX controller? That f***er was a monster!!!

(the big daddy on the left)

xbox%20comparison.jpg

The modified (right) was a thing of beauty. Many an evening playing Halo/Halo2/MVP 2005 online with that motherf***er.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
The worst part is Playstation is such an inferior system in terms of online presentation, options, the controller, presentation.. but I reallllly dont want to have to do anything with Kinect.

I don't think you can say that currently since both systems are getting major revamps in each of the categories you mentioned.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
I don't think that's how it works.. That means that if I buy a new game, install it on my system, then take to my friends house where he would need to install it and "buy" it to be able to play then I no longer own the game and would have to "rebuy" it when I go back home..

This is my understanding. I buy the game, I own that game and I go home and install it onto my system. I no longer need the disc so I go trade it back into Gamestop for store credit. Gamestop then is able to resell that game to some dumbass who then goes home, inserts the disc, and has to pay a "fee" or whatever it is they are going to do.

You would just have to log in to your gamer profile while at his house.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
Remember the original XBOX controller? That f***er was a monster!!!

(the big daddy on the left)

xbox%20comparison.jpg

The modified (right) was a thing of beauty. Many an evening playing Halo/Halo2/MVP 2005 online with that motherf***er.

I look at the picture and I can smell that controller. Is that weird? Don't care. Those things had a unique scent and I loved them.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:27 PM)
I don't think you can say that currently since both systems are getting major revamps in each of the categories you mentioned.

Ide be leaning more towards PS4 if they can give me an online experience that XBOX does.. but I really do hate that playstation controller and much prefer 2 bumpers and 2 triggers over 4 bumpers so close together on PS

QUOTE (TRU @ May 24, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
Ide be leaning more towards PS4 if they can give me an online experience that XBOX does.. but I really do hate that playstation controller and much prefer 2 bumpers and 2 triggers over 4 bumpers so close together on PS

I like the PS controller because I prefer the even sticks. The staggered ones on the xbox are strange. I will agree the xbox has better controllers.

Still, both controllers are getting changed and the online systems and interfaces are different as well. I think most people will probably buy the same of what they did this gen, but a couple factors might force a few percent to switch.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
The Last of Us getting tons of great reviews, including a 10/10 from IGN. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/the-last-of-us-review

Very excited for it.

It looks amazing. I generally don't like forking over $60 for a single-player based game, but I may have to in this case (Yes, I know it has multiplayer. There's not much known about it though and I generally avoid paying full price for games I'm likely to beat once and then leave on the shelf to collect dust).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
It looks amazing. I generally don't like forking over $60 for a single-player based game, but I may have to in this case (Yes, I know it has multiplayer. There's not much known about it though and I generally avoid paying full price for games I'm likely to beat once and then leave on the shelf to collect dust).

I'm the same way, but the IGN guy said it took him 14 hours to get through. That's pretty good for a single player campaign. I played the demo last week and it's one of those games where you turn off the lights, turn up the sound and immerse yourself into the world.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
I'm the same way, but the IGN guy said it took him 14 hours to get through. That's pretty good for a single player campaign. I played the demo last week and it's one of those games where you turn off the lights, turn up the sound and immerse yourself into the world.

I need something like this. Very cool.