2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
I still need to finish Uncharted 3. >.

Aww man. That's a quality game. I go back in my mind whether I like 2 or 3 better. Initially I think I liked 2 better because it had more epic set pieces, but 3 doesn't have any annoying parts.

Naughty Dog is incredible. Sure seems like Last of Us is living up to even their own ridiculously high standards. I'm getting this day one.

David Hayter is not returning to voice Snake in the next Metal Gear game, instead they have chosen Keifer Sutherland. Hayter seems a bit pissed about it too

Ah well,Can't fault @realkieferGreat actor, good man.The game will probably still be excellent.Like New Coke!

— David Hayter (@DavidBHayter) June 6, 2013

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
David Hayter is not returning to voice Snake in the next Metal Gear game, instead they have chosen Keifer Sutherland. Hayter seems a bit pissed about it too

WTF...I don't get this all. David Hayter IS Solid Snake & Big Boss. Why replace him with a more expensive voice actor?

And I'm just going to hear Jack Bauer the whole time playing now.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
WTF...I don't get this all. David Hayter IS Solid Snake & Big Boss. Why replace him with a more expensive voice actor?

And I'm just going to hear Jack Bauer the whole time playing now.

Im guessing at some point there was a contract issue that drove off Konami. Thats all i can think of, because it makes no sense

Xbox Bombshell

- Your Xbox must check in via the internet once every 24 hours, if not, you won’t be able to play games

- It is up to publishers whether or not you can resell your games or gift them to friends

- Discs have nothing to do with ownership, and are only use for installation purposes. Games are simply licensed now

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Xbox Bombshell

- Your Xbox must check in via the internet once every 24 hours, if not, you won’t be able to play games

- It is up to publishers whether or not you can resell your games or gift them to friends

- Discs have nothing to do with ownership, and are only use for installation purposes. Games are simply licensed now

They really are not doing themselves any favors, are they?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Microsoft is really trying to chase people away.

It's to the point where I am strongly considering a switch to PS4. I probably won't buy it till the second price reduction, unless f***ing Microsoft takes away XBox Live for the 360 shortly after launch too, in which case that system becomes f***ing useless. At this rate, I could see them switching off live services prior to the One even being launched.

They are really, really screwing the pooch on this one. Honestly, I don't think there's any way I can go back to XBox at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
It's to the point where I am strongly considering a switch to PS4. I probably won't buy it till the second price reduction, unless f***ing Microsoft takes away XBox Live for the 360 shortly after launch too, in which case that system becomes f***ing useless. At this rate, I could see them switching off live services prior to the One even being launched.

They are really, really screwing the pooch on this one. Honestly, I don't think there's any way I can go back to XBox at this point.

Doubt they would do that. Judging by how much money Sony made off the PS2 after the PS3 released why would Microsoft stop producing the 360 for at least 2-3 years?

I was already down on XBOX because I hated paying for my connection to the internet -- how many ways do I have to pay to watch some god damned Breaking Bad...cable, Netflix, Xbox? Now this s*** takes it to a whole new level. I often bought used games because 50 bucks is a lot for me, even for a game I'm excited for.

I'm probably going to go without a game system, get a Roku, and find non-gaming ways to occupy my time. If I get a windfall, I'll get a PS4.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
Doubt they would do that. Judging by how much money Sony made off the PS2 after the PS3 released why would Microsoft stop producing the 360 for at least 2-3 years?

I was being somewhat facetious, but they discontinued the XBox 3 years after the release of the 360. The PSOne/PlayStation original was discontinued in 2006, 6 years after the PS2 release date; the PS2 wasn't discontinued until January of THIS YEAR, which is, again, a little more than 6 years after the inital release of the PS3.

Just going through all of this, which company do you think has a better PR department?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
I was already down on XBOX because I hated paying for my connection to the internet -- how many ways do I have to pay to watch some god damned Breaking Bad...cable, Netflix, Xbox? Now this s*** takes it to a whole new level. I often bought used games because 50 bucks is a lot for me, even for a game I'm excited for.

I'm probably going to go without a game system, get a Roku, and find non-gaming ways to occupy my time. If I get a windfall, I'll get a PS4.

You don't want the first generation console anyways. You're going to end up spending $600-700 on it and there will be mechanical bugs like crazy. Get a second or third generation 3-4 years down the line once they've fixed most of the bugs, the system itself is more cosmetically appealing, and it's $200-400 cheaper.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
I was being somewhat facetious, but they discontinued the XBox 3 years after the release of the 360. The PSOne/PlayStation original was discontinued in 2006, 6 years after the PS2 release date; the PS2 wasn't discontinued until January of THIS YEAR, which is, again, a little more than 6 years after the inital release of the PS3.

Just going through all of this, which company do you think has a better PR department?

You don't want the first generation console anyways. You're going to end up spending $600-700 on it and there will be mechanical bugs like crazy. Get a second or third generation 3-4 years down the line once they've fixed most of the bugs, the system itself is more cosmetically appealing, and it's $200-400 cheaper.

My launch ps3 lasted me until this spring without an issue

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)

Your mistake was not switching to the superior console long ago.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I really don't see the problem with the system having to be connected to the internet. I don't think my Xbox 360 has ever not been online.

You don't turn it off?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)

That's truly incredible. You must have had it in a really well ventilated spot and kept very good care of it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
Your mistake was not switching to the superior console long ago.

Yes. I was debating PS3 vs 360 when I was buying it, and chose the 360 based on having games for it already.

I've literally played those original games for a combined 8 hours. That was very sound reasoning on my part. Pretty sure I was drinking quite a bit at that point.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I really don't see the problem with the system having to be connected to the internet. I don't think my Xbox 360 has ever not been online.

For most people it's not an issue, but it limits their audience a little bit.

I'm pro-PS, but there's nothing to say they won't put similar used game/always online measures. They haven't announced anything yet. Maybe they won't because MS went first, but it seems unlikely for MS to go this alone.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)

My launch ps3 is still ticking after all these years and sand and intrusive moon dust from iraq and kuwait. It sounds like an airplane but the damn thing plays games the way its supposed to.