2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Microsoft does have a chance to bundle or price drop, but I don't see how you pick XBox over PS4 right now.

I dont see how xbox doesnt take a catastrophic loss from this

Sony failed today IMO in everything outside of price. For a system that's supposed to be aimed at hardcore gamers, you'd think they'd be able to show a presentation that wasn't in-engine. The games looked worse. Watchdogs certainly didn't look next gen. Microsoft is ahead of them in the media center idea and they have the network to back it. I'm bored with gaming right now so I won't be buying either, but with integration options in the Xbox, I'd probably go that route. Regardless, you're probably better off going with the console that's more popular and I wouldn't bet on Sony.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:13 PM)
Sony failed today IMO in everything outside of price. For a system that's supposed to be aimed at hardcore gamers, you'd think they'd be able to show a presentation that wasn't in-engine. The games looked worse. Watchdogs certainly didn't look next gen. Microsoft is ahead of them in the media center idea and they have the network to back it. I'm bored with gaming right now so I won't be buying either, but with integration options in the Xbox, I'd probably go that route. Regardless, you're probably better off going with the console that's more popular and I wouldn't bet on Sony.

How so?

They are going to be the exact same system only difference is you can still trade in games and its cheaper..

The systems run virtually the same tech so the graphics will probably be identical. PS4 has more memory, but that doesn't always matter unless you're pushing the machine.

The hardware is pretty much the same. I wouldn't worry about the graphics or performance. Unless Sony's underlying OS is absolutely awful, there is no need to worry.

You're also talking about developing for these systems natively. These are x86-based machines, which is one of the most common platforms games are coded in (due to the PC). Game developers should have no issues adjusting to the SDK. They're not developing on the Cell processor like the PS3, where it was a PowerPC architecture that few understood. Xbox has no real hardware advantage this generation. Add on the fact that the PS4 is a whole 100 bucks cheaper, isn't always-on, and lets you play used games and you have yourself a easy winner.

Edited by chw42

Just because its more popular this generation? (Which it actually isnt anymore)

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (TRU @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
How so?

They are going to be the exact same system only difference is you can still trade in games and its cheaper..

Microsofts network destroys Sony's, for one. The PS3 was a better machine , but Microsoft won because of the network. Microsoft is thinking much bigger than hardcore gamers.

Another thing about paying for online. You only have to pay to play online. Netflix and media are still free unlike Xbox live.

Also lol at the network anyone whose been on the PSN lately knows its just as good as live.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 04:13 AM)

Watch Dogs isnt really next gen. Its getting ported over

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
Microsofts network destroys Sony's, for one. The PS3 was a better machine , but Microsoft won because of the network. Microsoft is thinking much bigger than hardcore gamers.

The fact that they are thinking much bigger is their downfall, bottom line these are gaming consoles and your market are gamers.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 04:21 AM)
Think about this, Microsoft won the last generation despite having one of the biggest hardware failures ever. Everybody I know red-ringed at least once and people still continued to buy them.

PS3 surpassed them I believe a couple weeks back. They came in third.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
The fact that they are thinking much bigger is their downfall, bottom line these are gaming consoles and your market are gamers.

No, they're not. They're all in one media centers. Apple TV that plays games. Gamers are a niche market compared to the market Microsoft is trying to create.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)

Sony is going to a pay to play online system, I dont see how it doesnt stack up to xboxs online service now

It is funny how most Xbox fans are talking about switching consoles and really all the news has been negative Xbox/positive Ps4 and yet can still find someone so adament in claiming Xbox is the better system and going to be the console to have. I bought a 360 for the sole purpose majority of my friends had one, now every single one of them are either going Ps4 or no console at all and that is going to be the case with a lot of former 360 owners.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:24 PM)
For me the most important thing is exlusive games and I like the Xbox ones better.

I don't really get all the fanboy PS4 vs. Xbox. If I had the money I would probably buy both.

I actually agree with both parts to some extent. Exclusive games do matter a lot and I was impressed with the XBox exclusives. Also, if I had plenty of disposable income I probably would buy both. I still might, but not for years. The problem is I find it hard to justify buying a console just for the exclusives because there aren't that many in a year when the consoles have a lot of redundant capabilities.

I bought the PS3 because of the Blu-ray drive and use that. I'm simply going to buy a PS4 because it's cheaper and I've already played those exclusives so I want to play the next Uncharted, Infamous.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:28 PM)
It is funny how most Xbox fans are talking about switching consoles and really all the news has been negative Xbox/positive Ps4 and yet can still find someone so adament in claiming Xbox is the better system and going to be the console to have. I bought a 360 for the sole purpose majority of my friends had one, now every single one of them are either going Ps4 or no console at all and that is going to be the case with a lot of former 360 owners.

I would never doubt Microsoft's ability to screw up a good idea.

One thing I'd look for is how Microsoft interacts with the cable providers. Look what's going on with Sky.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
I would never doubt Microsoft's ability to screw up a good idea.

One thing I'd look for is how Microsoft interacts with the cable providers. Look what's going on with Sky.

If the Xbox outdoes the Ps4 with how things have been going publicity wise and the fact this time Sony is the cheaper system, well Sony might as well give up after this console.