2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
While Taylorst and Capn can insult everyone in the thread, it just does not make logical sense what they are arguing from a consumer perspective. Most reasonable people agree that choice is better than no choice. So why would anyone want to have no choice to buy a physical game and instead have to rely on a steam like system.

And even though I have a steam account, I prefer to buy the games in the store and have the physical media. That way I dont have to worry about steam not working, steam screwing up or steam going out of business and not having access to the game.

So yeah, there are plenty of great reasons why I would actually want to have something tangible in my possession. And if Xbox wants to make systems with no optical drive, all online, what is stopping them? Its not impossible. So you can go buy that if you want. Ill keep buying my computers with optical drives, on the off chance I might need one. Because it doesnt slow my computers performance, it doesnt make my computer all of a sudden go from good to bad, so I have no idea why it would at all impact the Xbox performance.

I guess Steam has been around so long I didnt realize that was any sort of future. I thought the gaming industry realized that while some people may be okay with a steam like platform it wasnt for everyone. Saving $5-$10 per game isnt worth not having my own disk to put under my pillow at night, especially as an optical drive does other things like play dvd, blue ray, etc, so I would still rather my next generation machine could do that.

Call me old fashioned though.

Why would you ever need an optical drive on a computer? Boot disk in a pinch maybe?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
While Taylorst and Capn can insult everyone in the thread, it just does not make logical sense what they are arguing from a consumer perspective. Most reasonable people agree that choice is better than no choice. So why would anyone want to have no choice to buy a physical game and instead have to rely on a steam like system.

And even though I have a steam account, I prefer to buy the games in the store and have the physical media. That way I dont have to worry about steam not working, steam screwing up or steam going out of business and not having access to the game.

So yeah, there are plenty of great reasons why I would actually want to have something tangible in my possession. And if Xbox wants to make systems with no optical drive, all online, what is stopping them? Its not impossible. So you can go buy that if you want. Ill keep buying my computers with optical drives, on the off chance I might need one. Because it doesnt slow my computers performance, it doesnt make my computer all of a sudden go from good to bad, so I have no idea why it would at all impact the Xbox performance.

I guess Steam has been around so long I didnt realize that was any sort of future. I thought the gaming industry realized that while some people may be okay with a steam like platform it wasnt for everyone. Saving $5-$10 per game isnt worth not having my own disk to put under my pillow at night, especially as an optical drive does other things like play dvd, blue ray, etc, so I would still rather my next generation machine could do that.

Call me old fashioned though.

It isnt widely known, but DRM on Steam is left up to publishers and not mandatory. You can DL games off Steam store and still play them bypassing Steam completely. It also has an offline mode. And of course you have the disk option as you mention. I think even Steam is a lot better than what MS was trying to do.

Speaking of Steam, there was a big leak yesterday confirming the existence of Half Life 3 and L4D3, the Steambox console, and a potential game sharing program.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Seriously, why can't we do both? Have each game come with an activation code. If you want to install the game onto your system and return/sell the physical media, you can (for less than retail price, obviously). If you just want to use the game disc itself, you can. I don't see what's so hard about that.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
Why would you ever need an optical drive on a computer? Boot disk in a pinch maybe?

You need to install a program that is only available on disc?

I buy physical copies of all my computer programs. Unless steam is considerably cheaper, I always just go to the store and buy the game, install it and then have the disk if anything goes wrong.

Steam has been around since 2003, Ive had many steam games (its exactly the future system you are referring to), I just prefer to have the physical game and run it from my own computer. In fact one of my favorite games (Civilization) was kind of screwed up when it went to Steam, because Steam regulates the amount of modding, thus it was more difficult for 3rd parties to create new scenarios/etc because it was all regulated by Steam.

Let me ask you a better question:

Outside of cost, why would you not want an optical drive or to actually have the physical media? Why would you want someone else to have complete control over something you paid your own money for?

(edit)

Buerhle,

I didnt realize that. All of the Civ modders were complaining about how Civ going to steam ruined it. I dont program or mod, so I just took what they said as true. And yeah, even Steam allows you to play your game offline. But that is because you dl the entire thing.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
I definitely call BS on that. There's absolutely no way that that's true. Even if it were, how many of those people don't have the capability to connect to the internet? 5%, at the very most.

75 million Xbox 360s

46 million XBL users

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
You need to install a program that is only available on disc?

I buy physical copies of all my computer programs. Unless steam is considerably cheaper, I always just go to the store and buy the game, install it and then have the disk if anything goes wrong.

Steam has been around since 2003, Ive had many steam games (its exactly the future system you are referring to), I just prefer to have the physical game and run it from my own computer. In fact one of my favorite games (Civilization) was kind of screwed up when it went to Steam, because Steam regulates the amount of modding, thus it was more difficult for 3rd parties to create new scenarios/etc because it was all regulated by Steam.

Let me ask you a better question:

Outside of cost, why would you not want an optical drive or to actually have the physical media? Why would you want someone else to have complete control over something you paid your own money for?

(edit)

Buerhle,

I didnt realize that. All of the Civ modders were complaining about how Civ going to steam ruined it. I dont program or mod, so I just took what they said as true. And yeah, even Steam allows you to play your game offline. But that is because you dl the entire thing.

Why wouldn't I want a drive? It's taking up valuable space that I can use for an SSD that would actually be used everyday and make my computer run incredibly better.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
How many of those consoles are still in use? There's no way of knowing. That's taking into account every machine that's collecting dust, or broken.

The last I read about 20% of people don't have home internet access. I just don't know how much that includes people that own gaming systems.

That also doesn't include the people that bring their systems with them to places that don't have access. That could include college dorms, campgrounds, etc...

I guess my only point is that the number of people that don't have/want internet access are way higher than what they thought.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Seriously, why can't we do both? Have each game come with an activation code. If you want to install the game onto your system and return/sell the physical media, you can (for less than retail price, obviously). If you just want to use the game disc itself, you can. I don't see what's so hard about that.

See, I agree. Why not have the physical media version of a game, regular price. Also, a digital download version of the game, a bit cheaper, but requires the connectivity of the console, etc. Why can't that system be implemented? Clearly, they have the capabilities. I'd love to not have to keep up with physical media anymore.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Why wouldn't I want a drive? It's taking up valuable space that I can use for an SSD that would actually be used everyday and make my computer run incredibly better.

:unsure:

Can you even buy a tower without an optical drive bay?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
The last I read about 20% of people don't have home internet access. I just don't know how much that includes people that own gaming systems.

That also doesn't include the people that bring their systems with them to places that don't have access. That could include college dorms, campgrounds, etc...

I guess my only point is that the number of people that don't have/want internet access are way higher than what they thought.

In August of last year it was 119 million Americans without broadband internet. That's a lot of potential customers. Sony and MS would be really dumb to close off those people from potentially buying a system and the games that go with it.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)

does not compute, wouldnt a SSD eventually replace your normal HD? Why would you want 2 types of HD and no type of optical drive?

This now just seems to be an argument into absurdity to try and justify the fact that you called a Steam system (available in 2003) the future, when in fact its old tech that most gamers are seriously on the fence about even after 10 years of use.

Maybe you just dont play a lot of computer games and thus arent well versed in Steam like systems, I dont know, but I personally would not buy a system/computer without an optical drive.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
In August of last year it was 119 million Americans without broadband internet. That's a lot of potential customers. Sony and MS would be really dumb to close off those people from potentially buying a system and the games that go with it.

I didn't even think about that. How many people are still forced to use dial-up?

I have about 100 games on Steam. Most of which I have never played. Bigger releases like Skyrim I buy the disk. I dont mind the DRM on the digital store when they are offering the prices at insane deals like 90% off, or bundles that make games cost a quarter. I dont see MS coming close to that though. In fact I would say the games woulx just get more expensive.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
See, I agree. Why not have the physical media version of a game, regular price. Also, a digital download version of the game, a bit cheaper, but requires the connectivity of the console, etc. Why can't that system be implemented? Clearly, they have the capabilities. I'd love to not have to keep up with physical media anymore.

lol

Well this is the point all along. Its never in the best interest of the customer to limit themselves, unless the cost is so great that the limit makes economic sense. I bet that if they made a no optical drive Xbox itd cost like $50 less.

How many people are going to cheap out on $50 if it means that they cant use their system to play blu ray and dvd. That is basically a step back in home media integration.

Its funny, because I'm sure there was a time, not too long ago, when people were saying, "Why would I ever buy a PC without a 3.5" drive in it?" or "I'll just keep this cassette deck in my car, it is way cheaper to buy music that way."

Do the old methods still work? Sure, absolutely. Are they the most efficient way? Nope, not anymore. And neither is depending on physical media to be actually present, to play a game.

But, that can be chalked up to opinions, and why we're discussing it on a message board, and not in a Sony/Microsoft boardroom.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
Its funny, because I'm sure there was a time, not too long ago, when people were saying, "Why would I ever buy a PC without a 3.5" drive in it?" or "I'll just keep this cassette deck in my car, it is way cheaper to buy music that way."

Do the old methods still work? Sure, absolutely. Are they the most efficient way? Nope, not anymore. And neither is depending on physical media to be actually present, to play a game.

But, that can be chalked up to opinions, and why we're discussing it on a message board, and not in a Sony/Microsoft boardroom.

Record to 6 track to tape to cd. In each of those cases they were replaced by another item that I could physically buy.

I dont buy music from itunes. I still buy cds of albums I really want. I want to know I have the physical media, even if it costs me a few extra dollars.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
lol

Well this is the point all along. Its never in the best interest of the customer to limit themselves, unless the cost is so great that the limit makes economic sense. I bet that if they made a no optical drive Xbox itd cost like $50 less.

How many people are going to cheap out on $50 if it means that they cant use their system to play blu ray and dvd. That is basically a step back in home media integration.

That is all speculation really. If the Xbox1 cost the same as the PS4, but had no optical drive, I'd gladly buy one. Are there really THAT many households that are without means to play DVDs/BRs? I'm pretty sure those are probably also going to be the households that aren't looking to drop $400-500 on a gaming console.

Some folks are ok with moving forward with an easier method of media usage, some folks don't want it to change. Regardless, sooner than later, the digital game media will go the way of the DVD with respect to Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc.

Sure. Now, how big is a game?

Uncharted 3 was a 44gb download. How long does that take to download? Why wouldn't I want the option?

Personally, I enjoy the experience of picking up the game and unboxing it. I'm sure being 30 I'm just an old fogie. I'd love to still have the opportunity to walk around a Blockbuster, too.

That comparison doesn't work because they were still physical copies being replaced by better physical copies.

Plus, the option to still buy actual DVDs or CDs exists. MS was trying to take that option away completely.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
does not compute, wouldnt a SSD eventually replace your normal HD? Why would you want 2 types of HD and no type of optical drive?

This now just seems to be an argument into absurdity to try and justify the fact that you called a Steam system (available in 2003) the future, when in fact its old tech that most gamers are seriously on the fence about even after 10 years of use.

Maybe you just dont play a lot of computer games and thus arent well versed in Steam like systems, I dont know, but I personally would not buy a system/computer without an optical drive.

Seriously? Having 2 drives is becoming the norm. You run applications from the SSD and use the SATA for storage. Any disc based storage system is quickly becoming dated.

Of those people that don't have the Internet...how many can't tether to connect once a day? Of those people, how many can even afford a $500 console. It's a demographic that doesn't exist. Mercedes doesn't make a s***ty version of their cars for people that can't afford them either.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Record to 6 track to tape to cd. In each of those cases they were replaced by another item that I could physically buy.

I dont buy music from itunes. I still buy cds of albums I really want. I want to know I have the physical media, even if it costs me a few extra dollars.

So if both consoles had been released without optical drives, would you have decided against both?

It would be pointless for me to sit and argue personal preference, and that is understandable. But there is a difference between ease of access/use, and what someone prefers.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)

You're such a small demographic that you don't matter. Sorry. Best Buy is struggling. Record stores barely exist. A company trying to drive innovation can't worry about people that refuse to change.