2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
EA just put out a statement:

What they're not telling you is that some of the bigger schools are not part of the CLC. Ohio State for example. And some conferences, like the Big Ten, are also not part of the CLC. So, in theory, specific conferences or teams could demand quite a bit for the game to use its marks. If EA doesn't get them, and those fans don't buy the game, how long does this last?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
What they're not telling you is that some of thigger schools are not part of the CLC. Ohio State for example. And some conferences, like the Big Ten, are also not part of the CLC. So, in theory, specific conferences or teams could demand quite a bit for the game to use its marks. If EA doesn't get them, and those fans don't buy the game, how long does this last?

Ohio State is part of the same company everyone else. The only one that isnt that I know of is Notre Dame. Either way the licensing format isn't changing with ncaa dropping out so I wouldn't expect anything to change in game until further notice.

Nerd - time.

I downloaded a post-draft roster from 2kshare, and then made every deal/signing since then, for NBA 2k13.

Welcome to NBA 2k14 - with less Pelicans.

I played the first game last night, and it made me realize that the Bulls do have a fair amount of shooters surrounding D-Rose. If they sign Camby, they could be legitimately ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and D-Rose went for 31 points, 19 dimes, and 9 boards, which was fun.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Nerd - time.

I downloaded a post-draft roster from 2kshare, and then made every deal/signing since then, for NBA 2k13.

I played the first game last night, and it made me realize that the Bulls do have a fair amount of shooters surrounding D-Rose. If they sign Camby, they could be legitimately ridiculous.

Pffft couldn't even triple double, what a b****

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Nerd - time.

So, basically a white guy hitting a lot of three pointers in practice?

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 12:37 AM)
Yep, Gran Turismo is perfect for someone looking for a true racing sim, the cars are supposed to handle and feel like their real life counterparts, you can customize everything on the car, i mean real gearhead stuff (gear ratios, suspension height, downforce, power distribution on a limited slip differential, and tons more), the race tracks are detailed to the very exact specs as their real life counterparts as well in terms of track width and every bump and turn you go through. Need for speed is an arcadey racing sim that is still very fun and has a fairly nice amount of depth. i had a blast playing need for speed most wanted, for those times when you just want to hop in a cool expensive car and unrealistically rip through a make believe city. The online modes for both titles are very active, even to this day.

This is an older post, but GT is a good console racing sim but not really a true sim. There's hardcore PC racing sim games that are essentially impossible to play without hundreds of hours of practice. Grand Prix Legends is sort of the classic standard in that regard, and the EA F1 games are pretty difficult as well. Those sorts of games are so difficult that they're hard to actually enjoy unless you're heavily dedicated and get expensive force-feedback wheels. For the PC world, you can even get force-feedback seats that simulate the entire driving experience, multi-monitor support for 360 views, etc.

GT (or Forza for Xbox) are great sim-lite games for most people, including me. I want a challenge, but I don't want to have to run 100 laps of the Monaco gran prix circuit before I can complete one semi-fast lap without crashing or going off.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Bioshock Infinite this weekend. I'd give it an 8 to 8.5 out of 10. On par with the prior games, but unfortunately it followed the same trajectory for me: awesome and immersive in the beginning, then tedious and somewhat confusing in the middle, followed by a kind of "meh/wtf/that's it?" ending. I'm sure it's partly my fault for not paying very close attention to some cut scenes, but I was lost at the ending and had to go read about it.

Great read for anyone that finished the game and wondered about the ending. http://www.ign.com/wikis/bioshock-infinite..._An_Explanation

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
I'm back into Fallout 3. It's so good. I would say best or second best game ever along with Ocarina of Time.

This generation has produced some great games that can all make a legit claim to that...

Fallout 3

Red Dead Redemption

Bioshock Infinite (haven't played, but from all that I've heard)

The Last of Us

Mass Effect 2

Of those four that I have played, all had amazing stories and good or great gameplay.

I'd put Uncharted 2, but by nature of Naughty Dog trumping the entire Uncharted series with TLOU, it seems silly.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
This generation has produced some great games that can all make a legit claim to that...

Fallout 3

Red Dead Redemption

The Last of Us

Mass Effect 2

Of those four that I have played, all had amazing stories and good or great gameplay.

I'd put Uncharted 2, but by nature of Naughty Dog trumping the entire Uncharted series with TLOU, it seems silly.

This space reserved for GTA V.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)

Fallout 3

Red Dead Redemption

The Last of Us

Mass Effect 2

Oh yeah, forgot about Super Mario Galaxy One and Two which are the most critically well received games of all time. Still have to play two.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Oh yeah, forgot about Super Mario Galaxy One and Two which are the most critically well received games of all time. Still have to play two.

It is pretty awesome. The Green Star mode is maddening and addictive

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
I'm ready for another Fallout game.

I am too

I've been playing Oblivion lately and, nevermind how I never realized how ass backwards the leveling system truly is, the story is still so good. Just got the add-ons for the first time too and while some of those are goofy and ridiculous ("I inherited Vile Lair, which just so happens to be a house of Sithis. Oh, I also happened to inherit Frostcrag Spire, which is like the coolest mage building of all time. Oh, and if I go kill a couple maurauders and a few skeletons, I can get my very own castle AND pirate ship too!), they are also very cool too. Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine are really fun too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
I am too

I've been playing Oblivion lately and, nevermind how I never realized how ass backwards the leveling system truly is, the story is still so good. Just got the add-ons for the first time too and while some of those are goofy and ridiculous ("I inherited Vile Lair, which just so happens to be a house of Sithis. Oh, I also happened to inherit Frostcrag Spire, which is like the coolest mage building of all time. Oh, and if I go kill a couple maurauders and a few skeletons, I can get my very own castle AND pirate ship too!), they are also very cool too. Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine are really fun too.

I've been thinking about playing Oblivion. I'm worried that is will be a big step back from playing Skyrim.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
I've been thinking about playing Oblivion. I'm worried that is will be a big step back from playing Skyrim.

It is a huge step back, which is the unfortunate thing because the stories are so good. Perhaps it's the nostalgic factor, but there were really no story lines that really, really drew me in during Skyrim like they did in Oblivion (I haven't done Dawnguard yet, though I'm not expecting it to either). I don't know why, because the stories aren't bad, they just weren't as gravitating to me as they were in Oblivion. The only thing that really drew me in was the idea of going to Solstheim, and that had more to do with the ESIII: Morrowind factor than anything else.

Anyways, I tried playing shortly after playing Skyrim and couldn't get into it because the game play is frankly inferior. I had to take an extensive break - like 3 months or so - to be able to play Oblivion otherwise. If you can just gut it out for a couple hours each time, you tend to forget.

Edited by witesoxfan

I'm still waiting for Skywind to come out before getting Skyrim for PC.

It's a mod that puts Morrowind in Skyrim engine and world (they're apparently using the Elder Scrolls to allow the Dragonborn relive the Nerevarine's life, so you can have both games up). Unlike most giant mods, they just have to upscale the textures, skins, and models so while still time consuming, it's reasonable. The videos released so far look really good. They're also adding full voice acting to all the characters. Did the same for Oblivion (put Morrowind in Oblivion), so there is a precedent.

They're then going to do Skyblivion, which is self-explanatory.

Just can't wait to play those two games in Skyrim's engine. Especially Morrowind.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm still waiting for Skywind to come out before getting Skyrim for PC.

It's a mod that puts Morrowind in Skyrim engine and world (they're apparently using the Elder Scrolls to allow the Dragonborn relive the Nerevarine's life, so you can have both games up). Unlike most giant mods, they just have to upscale the textures, skins, and models so while still time consuming, it's reasonable. The videos released so far look really good. They're also adding full voice acting to all the characters. Did the same for Oblivion (put Morrowind in Oblivion), so there is a precedent.

They're then going to do Skyblivion, which is self-explanatory.

Just can't wait to play those two games in Skyrim's engine. Especially Morrowind.

Just going through different runs and exploring the world, I have probably put in about 500 hours into Morrowind, and that's on XBox. I remember jumping into Oblivion for the first time and wondering where the hell the Stilt Striders were.

Oh, and those f***ing cliff racers. Worse than Zubats

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Just going through different runs and exploring the world, I have probably put in about 500 hours into Morrowind, and that's on XBox. I remember jumping into Oblivion for the first time and wondering where the hell the Stilt Striders were.

Oh, and those f***ing cliff racers. Worse than Zubats

All hail St. Jiub

Fast travel in Morrowind made exploring mandatory...which to be honest I liked more.