2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
Do you have a link or anything for that? I havent heard anything about the online being released immediately.

Nevermind, October 1st.

The article I read on IGN said that 500 online missions would be available on launch. I took that as meaning the launch of GTA 5 on Tuesday, not the launch of the online part. So yeah, October 1st. Which I prefer, so I can get in to the storyline for a couple weeks before online play takes over our lives.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I think I just got persuaded to purchase GTA 5 through the PSN. Like I said before, I like actually having a physical copy of my games, but I just saw a preorder deal that sounds too good to be true, assuming I have the space on my harddrive for all this.

So you preorder on PSN, you get the blimp like every other preorder, but you ALSO get 75% off any Rockstar game. Apparently, included in this list is the "Rockstar Games Collection", which includes Red Dead Redemption, GTA: Episodes from Liberty City, LA Noire, and Midnight Club: LA. And you'd get that all for $15!

So essentially those 4 games plus GTA 5 for $75. That's like $17 a game. Of those games, luckily the only one I own is RDR (who doesn't). I've played LA Noire and really liked it. Haven't played Midnight Club since the original on PS2, which I loved, and have never played Episodes from Liberty City. My PS3 has 191 GB free, so I should be safe here considering GTA 5 apparently takes up about 16 GB of space, and it has to be the biggest of those 3 other games I would download.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
Im liking NHL 14 so far. The hitting is a little unrealistic but its fun.

Im getting anxious for GTA now that its so close. I cant wait till the online play opens up at the end of the month either. After reading that article chili posted a little while back about it, it seems like its gonna be incredible.

Is it true like 4 fights a game break out?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 03:52 AM)
GTA 5 is only 16 GB? Uncharted 2 and 3 were bigger than that. How can an open world game the size they are advertising not be a gigantic file?

When I actually got in to the PS store and looked in the description, it said to make sure you have 36 GB Free, so once again it looked like a false rumor. Either way, the Rockstar Games Collection is only 32 GB for all 4 of those games, so I definitely have enough room.

Traded in my 360 and Black Ops 2 today for a cool $155. Pre ordered and paid off both Call of Duty Ghosts and Watch Dogs, threw the extra cash on an extra PS4 controller. Now I play the waiting game. Only 2 months, shouldn't be too bad I have football to hold me over. Although it is depressing that ill never get to play GTA V or Batman Origins.

I definitely wanted Ghosts, but I didn't know what else to get so I just bought Watch Dogs. Its not that interesting to me but I don't know what else to get, I can always change it later.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 03:52 AM)
GTA 5 is only 16 GB? Uncharted 2 and 3 were bigger than that. How can an open world game the size they are advertising not be a gigantic file?

GTA games usually aren't that big. They don't really have video files per say. Everything is rendered on the spot. That will make the game smaller on its own.

Plus, Rockstar probably uses better compression.

Uncharted is a PS3 exclusive and they get to use the whole Blu Ray. Being cross-platform, Rockstar had to fit the game on a DVD for the 360, so they probably compressed the s*** out of everything.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
GTA games usually aren't that big. They don't really have video files per say. Everything is rendered on the spot. That will make the game smaller on its own.

Plus, Rockstar probably uses better compression.

Uncharted is a PS3 exclusive and they get to use the whole Blu Ray. Being cross-platform, Rockstar had to fit the game on a DVD for the 360, so they probably compressed the s*** out of everything.

Looks like it is 18 GB. That's a little more reasonable for what it's offering, but I wouldn't want to download a file that size, takes forever.

QUOTE (TRU @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
I heard some rumors that they arent announcing GTA for the next gen consoles because it could hurt sales with people not buying it now and just waiting two months. I really hope it comes over to next gen because I really want to play it.

I'm sure it'll make it over eventually, I'd guess more like 6 months though (based on absolutely no facts).

Well I got boned. Despite people on the interwebs shouting about how smart their were to get the Rockstar Games Collection for $15 (after the 75% off deal), it turns out that was a big f***ing lie. Either that, or it was an oversight by Rockstar in the beginning, and then they caught their mistake, because now that is not included in the deal. So the only reason I would ever get a digital copy of a game, and now it doesn't even matter. f***ing cool. I mean, I can still get Liberty City Stories for like $7, but I really wanted Midnight Club LA Complete Edition, which, by the way, is ALSO not included anymore in that 75% off deal, so that's great.

Well, in yet another twist in this riveting saga, it appears there is a loophole to their "any Rockstar title" deal, because I just bought 4 different Rockstar titles, all for 75% off. Maybe it was because it was all in 1 transaction, I'm not sure, but for $22 I just bought.....

Max Payne 3

RDR: Undead Nightmare

Episodes from Liberty City

Bully

So does EA actively try to make their games unplayable with ridiculously long load times? The game play in this years Madden is solid (though it still has issues) but everything else just takes ages to load and I played a couple of rounds of Tiger Woods with my brother and it takes a while to load each hole. Completely ridiculous.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 16, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
So does EA actively try to make their games unplayable with ridiculously long load times? The game play in this years Madden is solid (though it still has issues) but everything else just takes ages to load and I played a couple of rounds of Tiger Woods with my brother and it takes a while to load each hole. Completely ridiculous.

This. Their menus lag like hell. It's so annoying.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/16/gra...t-auto-v-review

For me, Grand Theft Auto V’s extraordinary scope is summed up in two favourite moments. One is from a mid-game mission in which I flew a plane into another plane, fought the crew, hijacked the thing, and then parachuted out and watched it crash into the sea to escape death at the hands of incoming military fighter jets. Another time, whilst driving around in an off-road buggy, I got distracted by something that looked like a path up one of the San Andreas mountains. Turns out it was a path, and I spent 15 minutes following to the summit, where I nearly ran over a group of hikers. “Typical!” one of them yelled at me, as if he nearly gets run over by a rogue ATV on top of a mountain every time he goes on a hike.

I think this is going to mean "so much for Madden" for awhile.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 16, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
FIFA 14 demo was pretty good. You could definitely tell the difference in player movement and could see the different ways the ball moves on shots now too

Agreed. The player movement off the ball and on the ball felt different. Supposedly most of the changes are more noticeable on the next-gen systems. Unfortunately, I will be getting both.