2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i saw Knights of the old republic was free to play, started playing, of course then paid for a month haha.

I have played an MMORPG for a long time. I played EQ a lot, then when EQ2 came out started playing but due to laptop and other issues quit.

Now that I got a computer that is good, its actually enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
Bad reviews?

IGN 4.5 BAD

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/ali...s-360ps3-review

There’s never a feeling of being outwitted or outmanoeuvred, just outraged that you’ve sat down to take on some deadly xenos in one of sci-fi’s most iconic settings and somehow ended up in the equivalent of a clunky, coin-operated shooting gallery. It certainly doesn’t help that the game also bucks contemporary shooter convention by allowing you to carry all of your weapons at once - a darkened corridor full of xenos doesn’t seem particularly intimidating when you’ve got five kinds of assault rifle stuck down your pants and a shotgun up each sleeve.
Kotaku

Kotaku: Should you play this game? NO

http://kotaku.com/5983463/aliens-colonial-...e-kotaku-review

Let's cut to the chase: Aliens: Colonial Marines is an awful game.

Once, I believed that the worst crime a game could commit was boring a player—and at first, that's what I thought Colonial Marines would do, bore me. An hour in, I thought it was merely a mediocre shooter, a licensed game that hides its boringness behind its source material.

Gamespot: 4.5

http://www.gamespot.com/aliens-colonial-ma...ines;FullReview

The dull, unattractive Aliens: Colonial Marines is a functional shooter, but little more.

Campaign is mostly devoid of tension and challenge Static pace and lack of variety lead to boredom Tacked-on cooperative play completely negates the narrative Dated visuals and assorted bugs.

There has been a fair amount of research on violent video games and the findings are ALMOST nada. The one exception is people is with people who have signs of violent mental illness are more likely to display aggressive behavior...which feels like a "duh."

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
I haven't played it since it was in beta, but if you want a "marines vs aliens" experience, Natural Selection 2 is pretty solid (be warned that the learning curve is a bit steep though).

Natural Selection looks cool, but I usually don't play games on the PC.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
The Cave is a pretty fun side scroller / puzzle game. By the same guy that did Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island.

I think it was only 10 or 15 bucks to download.

Im halfway through, I agree it is pretty fun. I love the narrator

I was online and bored the other day so found the Atari 2600 game Adventure online. My 10 year old watched me play it a few times and i let her try it. The kid is now obsessed with the game.

I'm not sure what to call it but i sure do get a kick of sitting on the couch and hearing the sound or the dragons roar..her being eaten and her protests of "AWWW.......come on!" and "That's so not fair!!"

Takes me back to the good old days........my friends and I played the heck out of that cartridge.....

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Im halfway through, I agree it is pretty fun. I love the narrator

I wish there was a little more story behind the characters.

I think when you replay it with different characters the game changes. At least a little bit.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)

I think when you replay it with different characters the game changes. At least a little bit.

I just beat it with the Twins, Knight, and Time Traveler. I missed two cave paintings though, so I want to go back and try it again.

It was pretty funny when the Dragon ate the princess and king

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 14, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)

It is different. Each character has a unique level that you play for them where their skill is needed. The time travelers level almost drove me insane.