2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think the Wii U is doomed? I just can't believe how much Nintendo has botched this console. You think Nintendo would have learned their lesson from the 3DS launch, but there have literally been no games worth purchasing since launch. There is still no killer app that demonstrates what the system is truly capable of (Nintendoland doesn't count IMO). Plus they don't even have the virtual console up yet to keep people until some good games out. What's going to happen when two truly next-gen systems come out later year? Nintendo needed to build a large ussr base beforehand, but without any big games on the horizon, they're going to be in big trouble come Christmas. People aren't buying the console for Pikman. Without Mario, Metriod, & Zelda games soon, this is going to go under, especially with 3rd party support lacking once again.

I've been a huge Nintendo fan my whole life, but they proven with Wii U that they're never going to change. Key modern day features like online play and easy backup/transfer of digital purchases lack behind their competitors. I mean for f***'s sake, they're still stressing local multiplayer, which may be great for families but few other people care. I tried playing Super Mario Wii U with my wife when I first got the console and you can't even use the Gamepad with two people, you both have to use Wiimotes because the Gamepad is reserved for a player who wants to build platforms for the others. To drop $400 on a system and games and not be able to use the main selling point for normal gameplay is just f***ing stupid. Nintendo just doesn't get it.

So I think my PS3 has the red light of death. Turned it on last night and it shut off. Every time I try turning it back on it sounds like it is starting up and then 2 seconds later I see a yellow light followed by an immediate shut down. Can't even get my game out. Has anyone experienced this? And is there anything I can do to fix it myself or attempt to salvage the data on the hard drive?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 06:45 AM)
Anyone else think the Wii U is doomed? I just can't believe how much Nintendo has botched this console. You think Nintendo would have learned their lesson from the 3DS launch, but there have literally been no games worth purchasing since launch. There is still no killer app that demonstrates what the system is truly capable of (Nintendoland doesn't count IMO). Plus they don't even have the virtual console up yet to keep people until some good games out. What's going to happen when two truly next-gen systems come out later year? Nintendo needed to build a large ussr base beforehand, but without any big games on the horizon, they're going to be in big trouble come Christmas. People aren't buying the console for Pikman. Without Mario, Metriod, & Zelda games soon, this is going to go under, especially with 3rd party support lacking once again.

I've been a huge Nintendo fan my whole life, but they proven with Wii U that they're never going to change. Key modern day features like online play and easy backup/transfer of digital purchases lack behind their competitors. I mean for f***'s sake, they're still stressing local multiplayer, which may be great for families but few other people care. I tried playing Super Mario Wii U with my wife when I first got the console and you can't even use the Gamepad with two people, you both have to use Wiimotes because the Gamepad is reserved for a player who wants to build platforms for the others. To drop $400 on a system and games and not be able to use the main selling point for normal gameplay is just f***ing stupid. Nintendo just doesn't get it.

Im pissed at the lack of games for sure, but I never will count Nintendo out. For all of the talk about the superiority of Xbox and PS3, the Wii dominated the last console generation in sales.

Mario(Solo and Kart) are coming out within the next few months, the HD Windwaker is coming out in August, Pikmin 3(which Miyamoto said should have been a launch game) comes out in May. And another game I have been waiting for is also coming out in May, Wonderful 101. IGN just gave Lego City Undercover an 8.0.

There is a lot of things that Nintendo just doesnt care about, there is no doubt about it. They just do things the way they want to do them and say f*** it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
So I think my PS3 has the red light of death. Turned it on last night and it shut off. Every time I try turning it back on it sounds like it is starting up and then 2 seconds later I see a yellow light followed by an immediate shut down. Can't even get my game out. Has anyone experienced this? And is there anything I can do to fix it myself or attempt to salvage the data on the hard drive?

Damn, that sucks. I had this happen about a year ago. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about how to fix it yourself if you are into DIY stuff. I debated fixing it or sending it back to Sony but ended up buying a slim with a bigger harddrive then what I had previously. You'll have to take it apart to get your game out and will need a hex wrench for that. Good luck.

QUOTE (CarlosMartinez @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Damn, that sucks. I had this happen about a year ago. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about how to fix it yourself if you are into DIY stuff. I debated fixing it or sending it back to Sony but ended up buying a slim with a bigger harddrive then what I had previously. You'll have to take it apart to get your game out and will need a hex wrench for that. Good luck.

That's not true. There's a little pin hole on the front of the drive (you still have to take the ps3 cover apart to get to it) that you push with a paper clip or needle and the game will come out.

As to fixing the "yellow light of death," I wasted about 2 weeks of my life trying to fix mine. You can try the hair dryer fix, you can try adding thermal paste and using a heat gun, but I didn't have any luck. Others have, but it's a temporary thing.

I've been without a ps3 for about 6 months. I'm really considering buying the GoW bundle. But 350 bucks seems like a lot to drop with the ps4 coming around the corner.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 07:34 AM)
Im pissed at the lack of games for sure, but I never will count Nintendo out. For all of the talk about the superiority of Xbox and PS3, the Wii dominated the last console generation in sales.

Mario(Solo and Kart) are coming out within the next few months, the HD Windwaker is coming out in August, Pikmin 3(which Miyamoto said should have been a launch game) comes out in May. And another game I have been waiting for is also coming out in May, Wonderful 101. IGN just gave Lego City Undercover an 8.0.

There is a lot of things that Nintendo just doesnt care about, there is no doubt about it. They just do things the way they want to do them and say f*** it.

Right now, the new 3D Mario platformer and Mario Kart game will make or break them IMO. They can't just be rehashes like 2D Mario sequels become. They need new and unique features that blow people away, sort of like Mario Galaxy did when it first came out.

The problem is that those games probably won't come out until the fall or holidays. At that point the Xbox 720 & PS4 will be right around the corner and you'll have a hard time convincing people to buy a Wii U. They need some big games soon and I just don't see them. The games you mentioned may all be solid, but I don't expect any of them to big sellers or move systems. Hopefully they have surprises at E3, because god only knows that all their studios are working on. Retro Studios in particular better have a big announcement.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
Right now, the new 3D Mario platformer and Mario Kart game will make or break them IMO. They can't just be rehashes like 2D Mario sequels become. They need new and unique features that blow people away, sort of like Mario Galaxy did when it first came out.

The problem is that those games probably won't come out until the fall or holidays. At that point the Xbox 720 & PS4 will be right around the corner and you'll have a hard time convincing people to buy a Wii U. They need some big games soon and I just don't see them. The games you mentioned may all be solid, but I don't expect any of them to big sellers or move systems. Hopefully they have surprises at E3, because god only knows that all their studios are working on. Retro Studios in particular better have a big announcement.

Really though, how many times has this been said about Nintendo? They just keep plugging along, making sales.

I make no excuses, I love Nintendo games. I grew up on Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Those are the games I want to play, I appreciate them, all iterations(except maybe Metroid Other M).

I said a few months ago, I think Nintendo and Sony and XBox are all kind of doing their own thing anymore. They compete with each other, but Nintendo just does not give a s*** about what those two do, for good or bad.

Another game just announced is that Pokemon Rumble WiiU game, that makes use of figurines like Skylanders, except you dont have to get that little pad to set them on, they make use of the NFC connection in the gamepad. Pokemon usually is a big win for Nintendo, they do very well with those games.

But the there is no way around it, this launch has been extremely dissapointing in the game department.

I don't know anything about the previous Tomb Raider games, but the reboot that just came out is f***ing awesome. Looks good, solid story, fun combat, fun navigation, big world, awesome set piece action scenes. It's like a longer, open world version of an Uncharted game.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 01:14 AM)
I don't know anything about the previous Tomb Raider games, but the reboot that just came out is f***ing awesome. Looks good, solid story, fun combat, fun navigation, big world, awesome set piece action scenes. It's like a longer, open world version of an Uncharted game.

I was obsessed with the first few Tomb Raiders. The first one was revolutionary- i was just a kid but I remember the wolves and T-Rex in the first level like it was yesterday. I also adored diving off of cliffs and breaking Lara's neck.

I'll check out the new one.

I just got internet service for my house this week and was anxiously waiting to get online last night and play NBA 2K12. Needless to say, I might be the last dude on Earth to have found out 2K Sports took down the NBA 2K12 servers last November. What a ripoff. If 2K Sports thinks I'm dumb enough to go plunk 60 bucks for the '13 version just so a few months down the line they take down those servers to force me into getting the latest version, they are f***ing nuts. f*** 2K Sports, I love their games but I'm never buying another one of their titles.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Tomb Raider has been pretty good so far but it hasnt been open world yet for me. Maybe Im not far enough into it?

It's not fully open world, but you can go back to find collectibles, gun upgrades and tombs. You can go from spot to spot from the fast travel camps, but the story is linear/sandbox.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
"PS3/XBox/Nintendo/PC" What about iPad/Android gaming? Should I post here or in the technology thread?

Post it wherever you want. It wouldnt get thrown out of either thread

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
So, I've become addicted to Jurassic Park Builder for iPad.

I've been playing that and the Simpsons Tap Out game. Both pretty good.

So because of the launch screw up with Simcity, EA is giving me a free game. Anyone have any thoughts on Mass Effect 3 or Battlefield 3? I've only played one of the Battlefield games and that was like 4 years ago with Battlefield 1943. I'm leaning towards Mass Effect 3.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)

So because of the launch screw up with Simcity, EA is giving me a free game. Anyone have any thoughts on Mass Effect 3 or Battlefield 3? I've only played one of the Battlefield games and that was like 4 years ago with Battlefield 1943. I'm leaning towards Mass Effect 3.

That depends, do you want something to campaign with or to play online. I don't play online, so I can't speak to the extent of who's still playing Battlefield 3, but I believe that's a short campaign and mostly online multiplayer deal. The Mass Effect games are all storyline.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
That depends, do you want something to campaign with or to play online. I don't play online, so I can't speak to the extent of who's still playing Battlefield 3, but I believe that's a short campaign and mostly online multiplayer deal. The Mass Effect games are all storyline.

Battlefield 3 campaign was really short and kinda boring. Now, the online multiplayer is amazing.

Mass Effect 3 if you played the first two.

Then when you get to the last 15 minutes, create an ending in your head.

I just got the JP game because of this thread and it seems pretty good. I also have been playing The Simpsons game but just had to start over which kind of sucks. Another game you guys should check out is Clash of Clans. Its relatively the same concept of the other two games except you join clans of other players and attack other bases for resources.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
I just got the JP game because of this thread and it seems pretty good. I also have been playing The Simpsons game but just had to start over which kind of sucks. Another game you guys should check out is Clash of Clans. Its relatively the same concept of the other two games except you join clans of other players and attack other bases for resources.

I have been playing a similar game called Dragon Storm, they advertise Clash of the Clans all the time