Rick Hahn

ZionrulZ

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
The problem is that what are Jones or Reed really worth?

They're not centerpieces of any trade. Look no further than Sergio Santos.

Some will argue Reed's a better closer, but I'm not so sure yet. You're not going to get anything significant back because they're both still relatively unproven, and then you're keeping bigger contracts like Thornton and Crain around still.

We went through extended periods last year when Jones was struggling and/or Crain was hurt where we sorely missed a dependable RH reliever who could get through the 7th and 8th innings.

Wouldn't it make just as much sense to take a risk with dumping Thornton and using that freed up money on something more useful?

Someone mentioned Viciedo and Floyd for Olt to shore up 3B and allow Keppinger to be a jack of all trades. The problem is that creates a hole in the outfield that Trayce Thompson is not yet ready to fill. And then moving DeAza from CF to LF makes his offensive skill set an at best break even proposition but overall probably not likely to deliver above average performance from a corner (compared to CF).

We're not trying to move Reed or Jones, so their value doesn't matter. I would guess Jones has more value because his stuff is more dynamic, but it doesn't matter. They're your pen. Deal with it.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bhawk99 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
Once Rick Hahn gets off the life support system and snaps out of the coma he is has been all off season then I am sure he will make a blockbuster deal. If he could just wiggle his toes to let us know he is still alive.

Do you realize...how should I put this, in a politically correct way (f***ing mod status)...OBTUSE this statement is at this point?

You want signs of life? Two players avoided arbitration today.

---

Still, I can see it now. "B-b-b-b-but they were already under contract DOESNT COUNT"

All I have to do is take the 2 most important parts out of this quote:

Once Rick Hahn gets off the life support system and snaps out of the coma he is has been all off season

If he could just wiggle his toes to let us know he is still alive.

and BOOM, no more complaining. Better change your tune.

Edited by witesoxfan

Oh, and I am dead serious. We've let this whole charade of "Hahn does nothing, he hasn't done anything, thus, Hahn sucks" go on a bit too long. Fact of the matter is that he had already made several moves, including the resigning of Jake Peavy, a minor trade here or there, the signing of Jeff Keppinger, and now 1 year deals with both De Aza and Beckham.

I have no problem criticizing upper management, or the manager himself, or players, or anything. However, from this point forward, anything involving Hahn "bring on life support" will be taken as an insult and will lead to suspensions and/or bans.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 06:08 AM)
I have no problem criticizing upper management, or the manager himself, or players, or anything.

Yes you quite obviously do. How do I know? Because you follow this sentence with this:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 06:08 AM)
However, from this point forward, anything involving Hahn "bring on life support" will be taken as an insult and will lead to suspensions and/or bans.

The only difference between, say, comparing Hahn to a hibernating bear while comparing Alex Anthopoulus to a squirrel in fall, and saying Hahn has done little/nothing while AA has been very busy, is a metaphor. Are we supposed to can the metaphor or something? Every negative metaphor Hahn has received this year he has earned through his own very real inactivity. When Hahn actually does something - and signing your own arb-eligible players is not *something,* neither is retaining a minor league coaching staff or any of the other "basic maintenance" aspects of an organization - then he will get credit for it. And if he pulls off deals like Kenny did during the season last year, all those great things that I and other posters said about Kenny will again be said about Hahn. No one here wants this team to be garbage and no one here wants them to miss the opportunity to improve, and to me, Hahn has missed the boat.

^Also I will add that Hahn will get massive amounts of credit if it turns out that all these pieces he is keeping keep it up or turn into better players that become worth more later. If for example Gavin has a great year and helps us win a division then Hahn will get loads of credit for doing nothing, because that was the best course of action. But I think Hahn doing nothing sets us back so I am prepared to criticize him until he takes some steps that would appear to make this team better in the future.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
^Also I will add that Hahn will get massive amounts of credit if it turns out that all these pieces he is keeping keep it up or turn into better players that become worth more later. If for example Gavin has a great year and helps us win a division then Hahn will get loads of credit for doing nothing, because that was the best course of action. But I think Hahn doing nothing sets us back so I am prepared to criticize him until he takes some steps that would appear to make this team better in the future.

Hahn works on improving the White Sox every day. Whether he ultimately is the man for the job, we will see, but the constant criticism for not doing anything, even though he signed Peavy and Keppinger, and really believing he does nothing all day is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Hahn works on improving the White Sox every day. Whether he ultimately is the man for the job, we will see, but the constant criticism for not doing anything, even though he signed Peavy and Keppinger, and really believing he does nothing all day is ridiculous.

It is also based on the fallacy that because a deal hasn't been made, he hasn't been doing anything. That just demonstrates a willful ignorance of a baseball front office, and a complete neglect of the Sox being involved in a lot of the discussions this winter.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)
Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?

Seriously, so this year is a wash according to you. So no reason to go out to even enjoy a baseball game on a nice night. Fine. You're choice.

And last year when the team was ahead of the Tigers in the summer, did you "know" they weren't going to win and decided not to go? I hope that's not the make up many Sox fans.

Or after 2010 when the team finished with 87 wins and they added Adam Dunn, was it not worth giving in to the excitement and buying tickets ahead of time for 2011. Or were you one of the prognostictors who said Dunn would have the worst offensive year ever and Rios would fall apart and the Sox had no chance so why bother?

Bob

So .... What should be done about this?

QUOTE (bhawk99 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Just another day and no moves from the comatose Hahn. Who's payroll is he on? Sox or Detroit? Just maybe if everything works out we can beat KC for 2nd place.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
It is also based on the fallacy that because a deal hasn't been made, he hasn't been doing anything. That just demonstrates a willful ignorance of a baseball front office, and a complete neglect of the Sox being involved in a lot of the discussions this winter.

I feel the need to repeat this post from a moderator this morning, to try to stress it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 07:08 AM)
Oh, and I am dead serious. We've let this whole charade of "Hahn does nothing, he hasn't done anything, thus, Hahn sucks" go on a bit too long. Fact of the matter is that he had already made several moves, including the resigning of Jake Peavy, a minor trade here or there, the signing of Jeff Keppinger, and now 1 year deals with both De Aza and Beckham.

I have no problem criticizing upper management, or the manager himself, or players, or anything. However, from this point forward, anything involving Hahn "bring on life support" will be taken as an insult and will lead to suspensions and/or bans.

QUOTE (bhawk99 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Just another day and no moves from the comatose Hahn. Who's payroll is he on? Sox or Detroit? Just maybe if everything works out we can beat KC for 2nd place.

Detroit . . . 88

Sox . . . . . 85

KC . . . . . 72

Cleveland 68

Minnesota 66

Looking at the 2012 win total for the AL Central, it's difficult to see where the Sox will get more wins from. Is anyone willing to wager that KC, Clev, and Minny win less games than they did last year?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
Detroit . . . 88

Sox . . . . . 85

KC . . . . . 72

Cleveland 68

Minnesota 66

Looking at the 2012 win total for the AL Central, it's difficult to see where the Sox will get more wins from. Is anyone willing to wager that KC, Clev, and Minny win less games than they did last year?

KC has gotten better but it will take major moves by Moustakas and Hosmer for them to be serious contenders.

I'm not sure what Cleveland has made themselves much better. Gave a lot of money to guys like Swisher, Brett Myers, and Mark Reynolds, the latter 2 who might be mid-season trade candidates.

Minnesota, I'm not sure they're not worse. Lost span, bringing in guys like Pelfrey and Rich Harden?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
KC has gotten better but it will take major moves by Moustakas and Hosmer for them to be serious contenders.

I'm not sure what Cleveland has made themselves much better. Gave a lot of money to guys like Swisher, Brett Myers, and Mark Reynolds, the latter 2 who might be mid-season trade candidates.

Minnesota, I'm not sure they're not worse. Lost span, bringing in guys like Pelfrey and Rich Harden?

The Sox played .574 ball against the bottom 3 teams in the division. I don't see them playing that well against them this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
The Sox played .574 ball against the bottom 3 teams in the division. I don't see them playing that well against them this year.

The Tigers had the exact same record against those three teams, so what's your point?

Looks like you're just cherry-picking stats in your never-ending quest to prove the Sox suck.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)

I'd be shocked if they played worse than .574 against those 3 teams. CLE & MIN still suck, and they are due to play better vs. KC.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
I'd be shocked if they played worse than .574 against those 3 teams. CLE & MIN still suck, and they are due to play better vs. KC.

I've been saying that since the 70's. It never seems to happen for any length of time. When it does we win the division. I know I'm probably exaggerating but it really seems this way.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
I've been saying that since the 70's. It never seems to happen for any length of time. When it does we win the division. I know I'm probably exaggerating but it really seems this way.

I hear ya, but last season (6-12) was the worst it's ever been. I'm not saying they will go 14-4 against them, but just getting closer to .500 will help the division record.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
I hear ya, but last season (6-12) was the worst it's ever been. I'm not saying they will go 14-4 against them, but just getting closer to .500 will help the division record.

Since we were back by 3 games...going 9-9 against them produces a division tie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Since we were back by 3 games...going 9-9 against them produces a division tie.

Getting over .500 in the division will require beating Detroit, which I still envision being an issue. But as far as the other 3 teams go, (re: Marty's post) I see no reason why the Sox can't do just as well against them again.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
Getting over .500 in the division will require beating Detroit, which I still envision being an issue. But as far as the other 3 teams go, (re: Marty's post) I see no reason why the Sox can't do just as well against them again.

There's really nothing stopping us from being tolerable against Detroit either. We were an above .500 team. There's no reason why we're obviously unable to make a challenge against them in an ordinary game...except for the mental ones.