Rick Hahn

ZionrulZ

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
The problem is the Sox expensive players have little-to-no trade value. I don't think fans would stop coming to the ballpark if they were somehow able to rid themselves of Dunn and Danks.

People freaked out a couple of years back with the deadline deals, and the same last winter when we traded players away. Sox fans are notorious front runners.

Trading Dunn (and not obtaining another power bat) would probably have some impact. You're right about Danks, though Remember, going to a Cubs game is cool I'm sorry here is a quote from the mouths of babes. My nephew son a 9 years old who attended a sox game first went to Wrigley with his cub fan father asked his son how he liked the game at Wrigley. His son replied "don't ever take me there again".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
People freaked out a couple of years back with the deadline deals, and the same last winter when we traded players away. Sox fans are notorious front runners.

Sox fans get tired of the organization saying "you can't spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents." It's not about payroll, its about performance and 1 playoff appearance in 7 years isn't good enough.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Sox fans get tired of the organization saying "you can't spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents." It's not about payroll, its about performance and 1 playoff appearance in 7 years isn't good enough.

If that were the case, they would be excited about the rebuilding. They aren't, which is why people started throwing "White Flag" right away.

I just saw Hahn's picture on the side of a milk carton. Is there an Amber alert out for him? As a die hard life long Sox fan I hate to say this but as of right now we just are not good enough to beat Detroit. Say what you want about Kenny but at least he made the off seasons interesting. Was a castation included in Hahn's promotion? Grow a set Rick and make a move. Let us know you still are alive.

QUOTE (bhawk99 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
I just saw Hahn's picture on the side of a milk carton. Is there an Amber alert out for him? As a die hard life long Sox fan I hate to say this but as of right now we just are not good enough to beat Detroit. Say what you want about Kenny but at least he made the off seasons interesting. Was a castation included in Hahn's promotion? Grow a set Rick and make a move. Let us know you still are alive.

KW's big move in his first offseason as a GM was acquiring Boomer Wells. The transaction took place on January 14th.

Hahn has already signed a top of the line FA and a middle of the road FA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Now you get it. Fans run before a full rebuild even starts, thus making a real rebuild impossible. Even the slightest possibility of a rebuild starts bringing out the White Flag crap.

There's no rebuilding going on. Why should fans be excited about bringing last years team back?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
There's no rebuilding going on. Why should fans be excited about bringing last years team back?

You do remember the White Flag trade, right? Even the mere hint a couple of years ago of players getting traded off had people freaking out. Why would you think that it is smart to ignore your own franchises history if you were a GM?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Because last year's team spent a majority of the season in first place?

You can think that way if you want, but the 2012 White Sox didn't cross the finish line in first.

To me, with the extra wildcard, my standard for the Sox is, "How do we get to 90 wins?"

Right now, I don't see it with this team. Even if the Sox have a 5 game lead on July 4th, they really haven't earned our trust that they can beat the Tigers head-to-head. The Sox don't play the Tigers until July 9th, and then they play 19 games. For me, I'll try to enjoy the Sox season if they play good baseball, but as far as trusting that they'll cross the finish line in first place or with 90 wins, I'll believe it when I see it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
You can think that way if you want, but the 2012 White Sox didn't cross the finish line in first.

To me, with the extra wildcard, my standard for the Sox is, "How do we get to 90 wins?"

Right now, I don't see it with this team. Even if the Sox have a 5 game lead on July 4th, they really haven't earned our trust that they can beat the Tigers head-to-head. The Sox don't play the Tigers until July 9th, and then they play 19 games. For me, I'll try to enjoy the Sox season if they play good baseball, but as far as trusting that they'll cross the finish line in first place or with 90 wins, I'll believe it when I see it.

The other side though...is that last year's Sox team could have won that division if they'd simply split with the Royals and been only somewhat under .500 against the Tigers.

There are a lot of ways this team can get to 90 wins as constructed right now. Will they? No clue, a lot depends on how healthy and strong the arms are in the rotation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
Why should fans freak out about the roster 3 months before the season starts?

It's natural to be a bit concerned at this point. Can we expect a huge deal or two before the start of spring training? I would doubt that. The changes are Keppinger at 3B and Flowers at catcher. Also, Peavy is back meaning the Sox are going to try to win a division again with the current pitching staff.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
It's natural to be a bit concerned at this point. Can we expect a huge deal or two before the start of spring training? I would doubt that. The changes are Keppinger at 3B and Flowers at catcher. Also, Peavy is back meaning the Sox are going to try to win a division again with the current pitching staff.

And Danks is presumably back also, a possible addition of a #2 starter.

Right on, Marty!

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)

Concern is one thing. Referring to a GM as dead because they haven't made a major enough deal yet, is just the epitome of the ME generation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
The other side though...is that last year's Sox team could have won that division if they'd simply split with the Royals and been only somewhat under .500 against the Tigers.

There are a lot of ways this team can get to 90 wins as constructed right now. Will they? No clue, a lot depends on how healthy and strong the arms are in the rotation.

But they didn't split with the Royals and they weren't only somewhat under .500 against the Tigers. And now the Royals and Tigers have both arguably gotten better, while all we can say is we added Keppinger (career - .288/.337/.396 with a career .733 OPS), lost AJ (not that I disagree with that, but he was one of our top hitters last year), and we may or may not have Danks back to start the season and even if we do, we don't know how he will perform.

Yeah, there's time before the season starts, but free agents are dwindling and there's not many left that are all that enticing or would seem to provide what this team needs, and we don't have much, if anything, to trade for an impact player. We've basically got Gavin Floyd to deal with reliever-type minor leaguers, minor league spare parts, or someone like Viciedo or Beckham which just opens up other holes/questions in the roster. Now don't get me wrong, I'm open to dealing just about anybody on this team, but if we're going to start trading away our current starting players, we need to get back players that can fill those positions. With just over a month until pitchers and catchers start reporting for spring training, I don't foresee a lot more happening with this team. That is why I am concerned right now so far before the season begins.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
But they didn't split with the Royals and they weren't only somewhat under .500 against the Tigers. And now the Royals and Tigers have both arguably gotten better, while all we can say is we added Keppinger (career - .288/.337/.396 with a career .733 OPS), lost AJ (not that I disagree with that, but he was one of our top hitters last year), and we may or may not have Danks back to start the season and even if we do, we don't know how he will perform.

Yeah, there's time before the season starts, but free agents are dwindling and there's not many left that are all that enticing or would seem to provide what this team needs, and we don't have much, if anything, to trade for an impact player. We've basically got Gavin Floyd to deal with reliever-type minor leaguers, minor league spare parts, or someone like Viciedo or Beckham which just opens up other holes/questions in the roster. Now don't get me wrong, I'm open to dealing just about anybody on this team, but if we're going to start trading away our current starting players, we need to get back players that can fill those positions. With just over a month until pitchers and catchers start reporting for spring training, I don't foresee a lot more happening with this team. That is why I am concerned right now so far before the season begins.

Take a look at how that .733 OPS compares to the production the White Sox got out of 3b, on the whole, for last year. The White Sox got a .201/.286/.314/.600 line out of 3b, with poor defense to boot. Yes, that's including Youkilis's contribution.

If Keppinger gives a .700 OPS and stability at 3b, that is effectively an additional impact player for this team compared to last year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)

They have a new GM in charge of building the team and spending the money. Isn't this a reason to be positive that the trend may change?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Take a look at how that .733 OPS compares to the production the White Sox got out of 3b, on the whole, for last year. The White Sox got a .201/.286/.314/.600 line out of 3b, with poor defense to boot. Yes, that's including Youkilis's contribution.

If Keppinger gives a .700 OPS and stability at 3b, that is effectively an additional impact player for this team compared to last year.

My problem is that we got about as much production out of what I would call the "keys" to our ballclub last year as one could legitimately expect, and still couldn't win a crappy division. I just don't see those same keys putting up that same production again this year.

It's like when you're playing blackjack and you can't win with 19 and 20's...at some point, you just shake your head and say "it's not my night."

I'm kind of feeling that way about this roster.

I sure hope I am wrong.