Frank Thomas: 1st ballot?

Buehrle>Wood

I mean, he has to be right? Obviously his on-field accomplishments are deserving. He's far and away the best player from a 100+ year franchise.

If my math is right, he's up next year for voting, along with Glavine and Maddox.

It would be really ironic if the game's biggest advocate for drug testing would be left out because of roiding fear. Not that it would be directed at him, but he would suffer from a general cloud.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
I mean, he has to be right? Obviously his on-field accomplishments are deserving. He's far and away the best player from a 100+ year franchise.

If my math is right, he's up next year for voting, along with Glavine and Maddox.

It would be really ironic if the game's biggest advocate for drug testing would be left out because of roiding fear. Not that it would be directed at him, but he would suffer from a general cloud.

Or, they could really make a statement by overwhelmingly voting for him

*fingers crossed*

In my mind he is a HOFer so there is no reason it should not be on the first ballot, but for some reason some voters think some players are "deserving" of first ballot, and Frank spending a lot of time DHing, even though it has been a position in MLB for 40 years, may keep him off a year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
He absolutely should be, but I wouldn't put it past the clowns that vote on it to make him wait a year.

I think voters wanting to make a point will make Thomas a 90%+ first ballot guy. He seems to be the representative of the "he did it the right way, clean" crowd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
I think voters wanting to make a point will make Thomas a 90%+ first ballot guy. He seems to be the representative of the "he did it the right way, clean" crowd.

I agree, and it will work in that crowd's favor that no one got in this year.

I used to think it was a lock, but in recent years not anymore. I'd give him a 5% chance of making it on the first ballot.

Too many factors working against him:

- DH

- Old BWAA codgers who think NO ONE is first ballot material

- The "story" of Maddux and Glavine going in together as teammates

- Frank just being a part of the era in general (even though he was never suspected)

He'll go in on the second ballot for sure.

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
If nothing else, I am going to attempt to find a list and send an email to all 500+ writers in the BBWAA to plead Frank's case. There will be no one more deserving in that entire class than Frank Thomas of going into the Hall of Fame.

I would think Maddux is bigger lock.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
If nothing else, I am going to attempt to find a list and send an email to all 500+ writers in the BBWAA to plead Frank's case. There will be no one more deserving in that entire class than Frank Thomas of going into the Hall of Fame.

I'd put Maddux ahead of Frank, but that doesn't make Frank any less Hall of Fame bound. Maddux will be another guy who is named on 99% of ballots.

He is #22 or better all time in HR's (T-#18 with 6 suspected juicers ahead of him), RBI's (#22), BB's (#10), OBP (#14), SLG (#21) and OPS (#14).

He is #70 all time in Runs.

He is #99 all time in Hits.

He is #127 all time in AVG. Granted, saying your the 127th best at something doesn't seem like much, but he hit over .300 for his career which seems to be a benchmark stat.

Two time MVP.

Top 10 in MVP voting seven other times, with one 2nd place finish, two 3rd place finishes and one 4th place finish.

Five time All-Star.

Four Silver Slugger Awards.

Yes, he should be a first ballot HOF'er. Then idiots get involved.

DH most of his career.

Played in the steroid era. No proof that he juiced, and may never have even been suspected, but no proof to the contrary either. Everyone from that era gets tainted to some degree.

Had a reputation as a big baby, and not a friend to the media. A lot of the voters are media-biased.

On the ballot with other first timers Maddux and Glavine. Can't have too many first timers in one induction.

I think it is a 50/50 chance right now. Is he deserving? Yes. Will he? ???

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
He is #22 or better all time in HR's (T-#18 with 6 suspected juicers ahead of him), RBI's (#22), BB's (#10), OBP (#14), SLG (#21) and OPS (#14).

He is #70 all time in Runs.

He is #99 all time in Hits.

He is #127 all time in AVG. Granted, saying your the 127th best at something doesn't seem like much, but he hit over .300 for his career which seems to be a benchmark stat.

Two time MVP.

Top 10 in MVP voting seven other times, with one 2nd place finish, two 3rd place finishes and one 4th place finish.

Five time All-Star.

Four Silver Slugger Awards.

Yes, he should be a first ballot HOF'er. Then idiots get involved.

DH most of his career.

Played in the steroid era. No proof that he juiced, and may never have even been suspected, but no proof to the contrary either. Everyone from that era gets tainted to some degree.

Had a reputation as a big baby, and not a friend to the media. A lot of the voters are media-biased.

On the ballot with other first timers Maddux and Glavine. Can't have too many first timers in one induction.

I think it is a 50/50 chance right now. Is he deserving? Yes. Will he? ???

If you're going to list the suspected juicers ahead of Frank in HR's you should also list the suspected or confirmed juicers who kept Frank from another MVP or kept him out of more All Star games, etc. Giambi, Palmeiro, McGwire all come to mind. Frank may have been hurt in accolades/awards more than any other player by juicers .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
If you're going to list the suspected juicers ahead of Frank in HR's you should also list the suspected or confirmed juicers who kept Frank from another MVP or kept him out of more All Star games, etc. Giambi, Palmeiro, McGwire all come to mind. Frank may have been hurt in accolades/awards more than any other player by juicers .

I think the drive to "punish the cheaters" has the next logical step of rewarding the "non-cheaters" Frank heads that list.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
Biggio got about 70% this year. Do people really think that Frank will have less first ballot support than Craig Biggio? The only guy who dominated that era more than Frank is Griffey, and I think Griffey will be a guy who is famous for being up around 99% of the vote.

Frank Thomas is the man for sure. He had the courage and conviction to do it the right way and call it like it was. Plus he is in my opinion the greatest right handed hitter of his era.My biggest thrill as a Sox fan was to see him hit a homer to dead center in 2005 when the Sox played the Rockies

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Biggio got about 70% this year. Do people really think that Frank will have less first ballot support than Craig Biggio? The only guy who dominated that era more than Frank is Griffey, and I think Griffey will be a guy who is famous for being up around 99% of the vote.

The argument can also be made that Biggio being left out HURTS Frank's chances... in that it shows how serious they are about getting a message sent about the entire era. A pal of mine was just saying that the Biggio thing terrifies him about Frank's prospects (b/c Craig is not some predictable roider name that should have been punished).

And if you want to keep it to sluggers, also consider Piazza. Greatest hitting catcher ever? Not a first balloter. This happened sans proof. Frank is also a sans-proof guy. Meanwhile Frank has his years of DHing (likely not an issue on its own) and now an era's stigma to battle.

Edited by Jose Paniagua