Frank Thomas: 1st ballot?

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 09:48 PM)
Agreed.

The sad thing will be if they also do an about face on any of the guys that were passed this year. I'd dislike seeing him go in alongside Sosa or Bonds. I would see some writers making certain Frank enters ahead of those guys. I just realized he's about the first player I really have cared about being in the Hall.

I think this is a process to be played out over years. First the "worthy" guys get in, then they soften and change on the "bad" guys. They will use most of the 15 years of eligibility up.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
Greg Maddux, who is going in next year and might get more attention than Frank.

Frank's my favorite player ever, but I'd choose Maddux over him if I had to pick only 1. Either way I'll be really upset if either one doesn't make it in.

i wonder if you can be such an average pitcher and rack up 300 wins, why more non hall of fame pitchers haven't managed to do that? It seems pretty easy. Just look at the list of average players with similar stats. You'd think a few more of them would have over at least 200 wins.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but Glavine's career happened to coincide with an Atlanta Braves' run where they were the best team in baseball cumulatively over a 12-year period. If Glavine isn't pitching on the Braves for those years, he has many fewer wins and probably never would have reached 300.

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm not disagreeing with you, but Glavine's career happened to coincide with an Atlanta Braves' run where they were the best team in baseball cumulatively over a 12-year period. If Glavine isn't pitching on the Braves for those years, he has many fewer wins and probably never would have reached 300.

Was that Braves run because they had an offense carrying then or because they had a pitching staff carrying them?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Oh yea, I think Frank is a first ballot HOF'er.

But I heard some idiot on ESPN hinting that he thinks Thomas was on steroids and he should not get in the HOF. So you never know, a lot of dumbasses have a HOF vote.

An idiot on ESPN ... imagine that.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
Tom Glavine has 305 wins, but he also has a career 3.95 FIP, which would put him in the following group (3.85-to-3.99 range)

Tom Candiotti

Mark Langston

Danny Darwin

Mike Flanagan

Dennis Martinez

Jimmy Key

Chuck Finley

David Wells

Jack McDowell

Kevin Millwood

Derek Lowe

Javier Vazquez

John Lackey

I only looked at starters with a career WAR of 30 or better.

Glavine does not impress me. He might be the most overrated SP of the past quarter century. Those wins throw people off, and then some.

You can't just say Glavine is similar to thee guys because they have the same FIP. Its not an end all statistic. And obviously it overrates guys who get a lot of strikeouts and underrates guys who are good at getting hitters off balance and getting them to consistently hit fieldable balls in play. Which is what Glavine was.

Obviously when a stat puts Glavine in the same sentence with Javier Vazquez you know the stat can be misleading with certain players. Glavine is obviously one of those guys.

Glavine was significantly better than every single guy you listed.

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)

True. But we run into the chicken and egg debate. Are teams with future hall of fame players more likely to win a lot of games?