2014 Youth Movement?

GreatScott82

I thought Doug Padilla's article from ESPN was a good read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/

With the lack of movement going on this winter for the White Sox and with veterans slowly departing the city year by year (Buerhle, Pierzynski and next year probably Konerko) it makes me wonder if Hahn's ultimate goal is to officially start a youth movement? The article talks about shifting Viciedo over to 1B once PK retires/leaves after 2013. This would make room for one of the OF prospects (Hawkins, Thompson, Walker or Mitchel) to shift over to LF.

In fact, Hahn's greatest wish would likely be for Rios to have another good season so he can get an adequate return via trade during the midway point or next offseason since his contract expires after 2014. If he can deal him, that would open the door for one of those OF prospects to step into RF.

Veterans with contracts expiring after 2013: Thorton, Konerko, Crain, and Floyd

Veterans with contracts expiring after 2014: Dunn, Peavy and Rios.

This team will be in a great financial position in two seasons as well.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, and maybe it's more sentiment than smarts, I'd much prefer that Dunn have a good year so that they can deal him. I'd like to have Pauly around as long as he can still swing the bat as our dh and I think that he would be a great example for the younger players. We'd have to find left handed power somewhere but while I don't hate him, I'd rather have a better all around hitter than Dunn.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
I think that's a reasonable look at what the plan going forward may be. The key is having Sale, Danks, Quintana, and Santiago show they can make 4/5th's of a reliable rotation. After that use Peavy, Rios, Floyd, and Crain in trade to fortify the rest of the team.

1/2 the people you want to trade to fortify the team will be free agents next offseason anyway.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 07:58 AM)
Personally, and maybe it's more sentiment than smarts, I'd much prefer that Dunn have a good year so that they can deal him. I'd like to have Pauly around as long as he can still swing the bat as our dh and I think that he would be a great example for the younger players. We'd have to find left handed power somewhere but while I don't hate him, I'd rather have a better all around hitter than Dunn.

Don't forget how costly it is to give up your number 1 draft pick in signing te hypothetical better than Dunn player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...-first-priority

Viciedo could ultimately be first priority

January, 9, 2013

By Doug Padilla | ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO –The Chicago White Sox might have a new general manager, but the club’s big board that projects lineups into the future isn’t expected to go anywhere.

Under former general manager, now vice president, Kenny Williams, the big board was often referenced. On it, the White Sox not only project what next season’s lineup and depth chart might look like, they project it up to four seasons ahead.

With Rick Hahn now occupying the GM chair, the big board continues to be used while also continuing to be shrouded in secrecy. Don’t ask to see it. Don’t ask what’s on it.

One area where it could show multiple options for seasons to come is at first base. Paul Konerko’s contract expires after the upcoming season, while Adam Dunn’s is set to expire one season after that. So who do the White Sox see as their long-term answer at first base if Konerko and Dunn play elsewhere in the near future?

For now, Dayan Viciedo appears to have the potential to be the first baseman of the future.

“Down the road absolutely (he could take over at first base),” Hahn said. “This year, though, we plan on him being in left field.”

Viciedo has played third base in the past and the club had an opening there this offseason. They didn’t make that switch, though, and at least part of the reason is because they didn’t want to follow his recent move from the infield to the outfield, to be followed by a move back to third base and possibly another one to first.

“The decision to not move him this year was partly based on that but also it was based on what we felt would make us the strongest club from a defensive standpoint,” Hahn said.

If Konerko plays elsewhere after the 2013 season, Dunn could take over on the infield. Or the White Sox could make Viciedo the first baseman as soon as 2014 and keep Dunn as the designated hitter.

While the move to Viciedo has the potential to keep run production high from the first-base spot, it figures to have the opposite effect on defense. Konerko provides some of the best glove work at first base, but Viciedo could provide an upgrade with range on the infield.

Yet another reason Viciedo’s move to first base makes sense is because of all the highly-regarded outfield prospects ready to make a breakthrough. It could be time to leave left field to somebody else very soon. Courtney Hawkins and Trayce Thompson are considered two of the best prospects in the system, with Keenyn Walker and Jared Mitchell not far behind.

Under Hahn, that White Sox big board could be aimed toward a significant youth movement.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...-real-this-time

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox fans will get one more chance to let Paul Konerko feel their true feelings.

On the last day of the 2010 season, with Konerko's contract about to expire, fans on hand at U.S. Cellular Field gave the veteran first baseman multiple rousing ovations.

It no doubt stirred emotions for the team's longtime first baseman, as well as the emotions of his family, who were watching the proceedings unfold from a suite above the first-base side.

How much it led to Konerko then signing a three-year extension can be debated. But fan appreciation had to play somewhat of a role as Konerko ultimately re-signed with the White Sox instead of the Arizona Diamondbacks, who play not far from his Scottsdale, Ariz., home.

With that three-year deal now set to expire after the 2013 season, a familiar scenario seems set to unfold. This time, though, the odds of Konerko signing yet another deal with the White Sox seem less likely so if fans want to show an outpouring of love and appreciation yet again, it might not hurt to start the deafening roars earlier than Game 162.

The facts remain, though, that if Konerko doesn't elect to retire, he will be 38 years old at the start of his next contract. And while it's possible that he could come back for less yearly than the $13.5 million he will make from the 2013 season, he will still command a significant chunk of money.

The club might be inclined to spread those finances throughout other areas of the roster.

There also is the reality that the White Sox have an option at first base, for one season anyway, if Konerko departs. Although not as consistent as Konerko on offense or defense, Adam Dunn is signed through 2014 and could move to the field full time.

What won't be replaced are Konerko's leadership skills. His no-nonsense approach and extreme work ethic have earned him respect from teammates, opponents and fans. And even though his over-analysis of his unsuccessful at-bats has earned him ribbing from teammates, there is no doubting that Konerko pains over his failures more than the most cynical fan.

And just what kind of team player has Konerko been? Consider that he is making things easier on the White Sox's finances this year by reportedly deferring $7 million of his salary for the upcoming season out over the next seven years. Konerko will actually be paid $6.5 million this season and then $1 million per year until 2020. The last time he made less than $6.5 million in a season was in 2003.

After drinking in the adulation from fans on the final day of the 2010 season and then returning with a new deal in 2011, Konerko admitted that no player deserves a second sendoff like the one he had just received. But a second one he is sure to get this year.

What's probably safe to say is that after Konerko leaves, nobody is expected to wear No. 14 again. The number's last hurrah could come this season. But who knows? If White Sox fans show enough Konerko love in 2013, perhaps there's a chance he could wear the jersey one more year.

So get out the posters, buttons and bumper stickers White Sox fans. It's never too early to start the "No. 14 in 2014" campaign.

If Paulie is not brought back for 2014, then I think you move Dunn to 1B and consider going with a rotating DH. I think there is nothing wrong with having four solid outfielders split time at DH if you have the right personal.

For example, keep our existing outfield and throw Trayce Thompson (assuming he develops) in the mix, who should be able to play all three positions.

If Paulie is not brought back for 2014, then I think you move Dunn to 1B and consider going with a rotating DH. I think there is nothing wrong with having four solid outfielders split time at DH if you have the right personal.

For example, keep our existing outfield and throw Trayce Thompson (assuming he develops) in the mix, who should be able to play all three positions.

Except why would you ever voluntarily put Viciedo in the outfield and deAza, Rios, or Thompson/Mitchell at DH?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)

I think it depends on how quickly the OFs reach Chicago. If they stagnate in their development, Dayan probably stays in LF with Dunn playing first. If they keep developing quickly enough, Viciedo moves to 1b in 2014 and one of the kids moves into the OF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
I think it depends on how quickly the OFs reach Chicago. If they stagnate in their development, Dayan probably stays in LF with Dunn playing first. If they keep developing quickly enough, Viciedo moves to 1b in 2014 and one of the kids moves into the OF.

From my impression, I think Mitchell falls in the same boat as Jordan Danks, at the least needing a serious swing and approach overhaul to become a major league regular. If I'm right in that...then it might be 2 years before anyone is pushing that position.

I think Konerko gets a 1 year deal for 2014.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
From my impression, I think Mitchell falls in the same boat as Jordan Danks, at the least needing a serious swing and approach overhaul to become a major league regular. If I'm right in that...then it might be 2 years before anyone is pushing that position.

Tracye Thompson is the one who has the best chance IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Tracye Thompson is the one who has the best chance IMO.

It has been years since I've been able to say this, but the Sox do actually have a position in the minors with some very nice depth of talent now: Hawkins and Thompson very high ceilings, Mitchell and Walker have potential to be starters (I like Walker a little better at this point, but both need a lot of refinement). Then there is the crowd of other guys like Short, Shoemaker, Coats and Haddow, who a few years ago would have been the top OF's in the Sox system (relatively). The outfield is where the system has improved the most in the past couple years.

Unfortunately, most other positions still have a pretty significant lack of depth.

I'd like to see the plan be to use everything other than Sale, Danks, Quintana, and Santiago to retool the offense pointing to 2014. Figure Dunn, Ramirez, Keppinger, and Flowers as the holdovers. Peavy, Rios, DeAza, Viciedo, Floyd, and Reed would be the best trade bait.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I'd like to see the plan be to use everything other than Sale, Danks, Quintana, and Santiago to retool the offense pointing to 2014. Figure Dunn, Ramirez, Keppinger, and Flowers as the holdovers. Peavy, Rios, DeAza, Viciedo, Floyd, and Reed would be the best trade bait.

Out of curiousity, what kind of return do you anticipate for the players that you are willing to trade?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
It has been years since I've been able to say this, but the Sox do actually have a position in the minors with some very nice depth of talent now: Hawkins and Thompson very high ceilings, Mitchell and Walker have potential to be starters (I like Walker a little better at this point, but both need a lot of refinement). Then there is the crowd of other guys like Short, Shoemaker, Coats and Haddow, who a few years ago would have been the top OF's in the Sox system (relatively). The outfield is where the system has improved the most in the past couple years.

Unfortunately, most other positions still have a pretty significant lack of depth.

The OF depth is a product of a serious draft pick investment over the past several years. 2 first rounds, 1 sandwich (first Sox pick), and 1 second round pick over the past 4 drafts. The 4 drafts prior to these never saw an outfielder taken before the 6th. The focus has definitely been OF and P of late.

The White Sox announced that they agreed to sign seven players to minor league contracts that include invitations to MLB Spring Training. Right-handers Jeff Gray and Ramon Troncoso, left-hander David Purcey, catcher Bryan Anderson, infielders Josh Bell and Steve Tolleson and outfielder Stefan Gartrell will all report to Glendale next month.

Gray pitched for the Twins in 2012, posting a 5.71 ERA with 4.5 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 in 52 innings. Troncoso, who turns 30 next month, pitched for the Dodgers' Triple-A team in 2012. Purcey also spent the 2012 season at Triple-A, and he struck out more than one batter per inning at that level while struggling to limit walks. The 26-year-old Anderson appeared in ten games for last year's Cardinals team. Bell, formerly a top prospect, played in 21 games for the Diamondbacks in 2012. Tolleson appeared in 29 games with the 2012 Orioles, posting a .183/.227/.310 batting line as a utility player. Gartrell posted a .787 OPS with 20 home runs for the Braves' top affiliate last year.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#TtZLT1wDpPey5ePM.99

I believe if the Sox aren't going to be one of the top teams in the AL, they should trade PK, Dunn, Rios, Floyd, Danks, Peavy, DeAza, Thornton, Alexei, Crain and Beckham for young top prospects.

Why have a team thats middle of the road and then watch PK, Floyd, Crain and Thornton leave after the season? Lets rebuild this entire system, if we aren't going to add stars to this team

Edited by SOXOBAMA

I believe if the Sox aren't going to be one of the top teams in the AL, they should trade PK, Rios, Floyd, Danks, Peavy, DeAza, Thornton, Alexei, Crain and Beckham for young top prospects.

I can't disagree, except I think I'd try to hold on to Alexei!

Let me give me 2 cents on rebuilding. It can work, with the right executives in place. Just because you have a bunch of top 10 picks doesn't mean you will win a few years down the road. There are several players that the Sox have had a shot at in the draft, (Mike Trout for one) and passed that have turned out to become great young talents at the big league level. Some have been for a while. Some, but less than you might think star level talent or good players did the Sox not have a shot to draft or have a chance to sign from their homeland. The level of talent evaluation is HUGE when you talk about a rebuild. Do the Sox have that? I don't know. You have to have great scouts as well. I think that 2014 could be like '09 in some ways. How many top draft picks have been busts? Probably a lot. Didn't we have an ace that was drafted in the 36th or 38th round? The part that I don't get about when fans talk about a rebuild in any sport (besides the NBA) is that you have to be horrible. In any sports there are great players taken in the lower rounds all the time. The psychological factor of this sport is huge as you move up the rankings, and many guys who have great physical tools can't cut it in that realm. Scouting that is very difficult, and sometimes near impossible. The one problem I have with rebuilding is that we have a GM in charge who has never done it. If we have a phasing out of the vets after 2013 fine (which is what is likely to happen IMO) and then retool in 2014. Scouting in baseball for amateur players is difficult just because you don't know how they will respond to the advanced level of play both physically and psychologically. Plus players are playing against others that are older than them for the first time, and others that are just as talented if not more.

Do people realize that spending on the draft and international amateur free agents is capped now? The ability to complete a legitimate rebuild is significantly limited now, because teams can no longer take resources for the major league team and use them in these areas.

All the examples I've read on this site of successfully rebuilding are the result of spending big money on the draft and Latin America. If you can no longer outspend your competition and stockpile a ton of high-end talent during a given draft or signing period, then you'll struggle to build an elite system in a short amount of time. High draft picks alone simply won't cut it. This is baseball, not the NBA.

Let's be real here, a true rebuild would take us 4-5 years minimum given the shape our current system (BA ranks us 29th). And that's the best case scenario, just look at the Royals & Pirates if you want to see two examples of rebuilding gone wrong, and those teams were able to abuse the old system. Imagine how bad it can with capped spending now.