2014 Youth Movement?

GreatScott82

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Trading Paulie now for a decent return would make a 2014 youth movement more palpable. There are a few teams that could use his bat and offer back something that could be significant down the road.

With the way this team is set up, if they got a "decent return" for Konerko, he would have been gone. Coming off of a wrist injury, and being 36 (37 in spring training) in the last year of his deal isn't going to help those odds.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
Take a second and think about how limited the number of teams he fits with are. Konerko is under contract for 1 year, so the team trading for him needs to be ready to compete this year. Konerko is well paid, >$10 million, so the team needs to have money to spend. The team needs to have a hole at 1b, and it helps if the team also can move Konerko to DH for part of the time, as that helps keep him healthy. How many teams are left that this fits? Now throw in the fact that Konerko's a 10/5 player and thus has a full No Trade Clause if he wants to exercise it.

Getting a significant offer for a guy usually means that you have multiple teams in the running for him who will drive the price up. I have trouble thinking of any teams that fit all of those.

As I said, there are a few teams. Baltimore, Seattle, Toronto, San Francisco and Tampa probably is the scope of them. Sure he has to agreed to the trade, but at this stage of his career if he could get to a contender and help the Sox in return I think he would agree. The return is not going to be significant, what I meant was a player that could develop into something down the road. With Seattle for instance, a deal around Justin Smoak who has struggled, but has a lot of upside still. They had money to pursue Upton and Hamilton so I am sure they can fit Paulie in for a season. Toronto needs an upgrade at DH than can spell Encarnacion at 1B. The Red Sox may be an option as well if the Napoli deal falls apart.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
Take a second and think about how limited the number of teams he fits with are. Konerko is under contract for 1 year, so the team trading for him needs to be ready to compete this year. Konerko is well paid, >$10 million, so the team needs to have money to spend. The team needs to have a hole at 1b, and it helps if the team also can move Konerko to DH for part of the time, as that helps keep him healthy. How many teams are left that this fits? Now throw in the fact that Konerko's a 10/5 player and thus has a full No Trade Clause if he wants to exercise it.

Getting a significant offer for a guy usually means that you have multiple teams in the running for him who will drive the price up. I have trouble thinking of any teams that fit all of those.

He's making $6.5 million this year, with $1 million a year deferred for the next 7 years. You are right, there probably are only a couple of teams that would be a fit for Konerko with his veto rights, teams ability to take on money and his position. Getting anything close to what he is worth to the White Sox is very slim.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
He's making $6.5 million this year, with $1 million a year deferred for the next 7 years. You are right, there probably are only a couple of teams that would be a fit for Konerko with his veto rights, teams ability to take on money and his position. Getting anything close to what he is worth to the White Sox is very slim.

After this season he is worth nothing to the Sox, so getting anything is more valuable than that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
If they are willing to make him a qualifying offer, he is worth a first round draft pick.

Not sure any teams are going to give up a 1st round pick to sign a 37 year old PK, no one would give one up to sign LaRoche. He would more likely accept the qualify offer of what will probably be about $13.5-$14.5M.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Trading Paulie now for a decent return would make a 2014 youth movement more palpable. There are a few teams that could use his bat and offer back something that could be significant down the road.

Not resigning Konerko would make a youth movement more palpable. You don't trade a player who has been with the team for close to 15 years unless it is per his request.

There's no harm in trying to luck into a division title this year. That's honestly what it will take, and I'd put the Sox chance of doing it at about 25%.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
Not resigning Konerko would make a youth movement more palpable. You don't trade a player who has been with the team for close to 15 years unless it is per his request.

There's no harm in trying to luck into a division title this year. That's honestly what it will take, and I'd put the Sox chance of doing it at about 25%.

Not based on anything solid but a hunch because of things I've read over the years, I'd doubt that PK would accept only a trade to the DBacks.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Not based on anything solid but a hunch because of things I've read over the years, I'd doubt that PK would accept only a trade to the DBacks.

IIRC when the Dbacks claimed him at the previous deadline, the Sox asked for Paul Goldschmidt, which ended teh discussions.