Americans Life Expectancy

Reddy

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
I'm not saying that you can't eat healthy for cheap, but it's much easier to eat unhealthy for cheap.

You can leave out the cheap part. It's much easier to eat unhealthy period. People are lazy, but the excuses I'm reading are all bulls***.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Funny that you throw insults but you failed to even understand the basic concept of my argument.

To make it simpler.

Free time > work time

And maybe Ill die at 70, maybe Ill die at 100, maybe Ill die tomorrow. I dont have enough time in the day to pass judgment about how other people want to live there life.

If you can live off $3 bell pepper slices, good for you. Thats not how I live, that is not how I want to live, and quite frankly it doesnt matter whether my life expectancy is 20, 27 or 50000, Id rather live my life they way I wanted.

Which goes back to the stupidity of this entire thread/article. As Americans we have the freedom to eat healthy or not eat healthy. We make our choices, we live with them. The point you seemingly are missing is that people keep arguing about money, as if having money will automatically cause you to make good decisions. Having money, not having money, its still about the person and their level of responsibility.

No idea where you are even going with this.

And I didn't ask you to live life the way I do. This is a thread about how shockingly low the life expectancy is in America presently. You've come in here and constantly told us all how you wish to die at 50 and that you enjoy 'living in the fast lane."

We're happy for you.

No idea where you are even going with this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
And that is really what I posted.

yes, this is literally what you said:

Maybe if you don't know where to find produce, or are too lazy to go get it, you should have thought about that before you decided to go knock up 3 different women with 2 kids each. At some point people have to take some damn responsibility for their actions.

go read this instead:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2005/09/03/being-poor/

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Except for the added extra step. Id rather just pay the $1 per lb extra or whatever the cost is.

Yes, you can afford it, but you aren't going to pay an extra $1 per lb extra or whatever because you aren't going to cook for yourself but rather bill people money and watch Netflix and have Pizza Hut or Chinese food or whatever arrive at the door. Your personal habits don't relate to 99.9999% of the world out there, and you are stubborn.

People feeding their families McDonald's are f***ing insane.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Leave it to a group of affluent white people in here to tell people how easy it is to eat healthy and cook at home. "If I could do it I don't see why everyone else can't.“

The point is only that it's possible to be that way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
Sorry I meant to say that cheese is high in calories and unless you are eating a cheese platter it's a relatively easy thing to minimize. Remove it from your burgers and burritos and that adds up over the years.

But in and of itself, it is not a bad food. Cheese is high in calcium and thus good for bones and teeth, it contains many valuable nutrients, and it also may help prevent cancer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
Cook the beef until fully browned. Once that happens, get a strainer and put the beef in there with a bowl underneath. The fat drips through the strainer into the bowl. You can even take a spatchela and smash the beef down to squeeze out more fat. It ends up way less greasy.

Why not just remove all the flavor?!

I take a turkey bastor and suck out all the grease, but i've never squeezed out anything.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
You can leave out the cheap part. It's much easier to eat unhealthy period. People are lazy, but the excuses I'm reading are all bulls***.

Yeah, it's generally easier to eat unhealthy food than to eat healthy food. A thing being easier than another thing means that more people will choose the easier thing. That doesn't necessarily make them bad people.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Leave it to a group of affluent white people in here to tell people how easy it is to eat healthy and cook at home. "If I could do it I don't see why everyone else can't.“

Sqwert, are you saying that basic produce is not available to non-affluent white people?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
People tend to resent being told they're dumb, lazy assholes.

The truth hurts. I used to eat like that, too. I made lifestyle changes a couple years, am saving money, and am the healthiest I've ever been and enjoying real food. I still go out to eat occasionally, but fast food and crap like that? No thank you, sir.

Anyone can do it, and anyone can do it on a budget. The lazy "it's too expensive" or "it's too hard" excuses are just that, lazy. And incorrect.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
And how does that equate to "all people in poverty are lazy and ignorant"?

The part where you say if someone can't find produce or is too lazy that they shouldn't have gotten multiple women pregnant? It's pretty insulting and completely dismissive of the actual, real life challenges and choices people in poverty face. It's callous and cruel.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
And how does that equate to "all people in poverty are lazy and ignorant"?

Because you're a white male who hasn't faced any adversity. Or at least I assume that with every poster on here.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
The point is only that it's possible to be that way.

So you'll volunteer to ensure every poor families kitchen is stocked with a functioning stove and oven, pots, pans, cooking utensils and food. And relieve them of their second and third jobs so they can find time to cook. Also, drive them to a supermarket if they don't have a car.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
So you'll volunteer to ensure every poor families kitchen is stocked with a functioning stove and oven, pots, pans, cooking utensils and food. And relieve them of their second and third jobs so they can find time to cook. Also, drive them to a supermarket if they don't have a car.

f*** that. I'm already paying for the food and the travel to get the food. They can pony up for a cheap ass knife and pots and pans at walmart.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)

Seriously?

I am quite sympathetic of the plight of those less-fortunate than I am. However, pulling up websites which "really hit home" about "the hard reality" of actually being poor do not make the decisions that have caused many people in poverty to be where they are today or continue to stay less irresponsible or ignorant. It doesn't make their problems magically go away, either.

Honestly, if you do not understand how, or you do not know if you will be able to provide basic nutrition to your offspring, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THEM. And if you do anyways, THEY WILL PROBABLY NOT BE PARTICULARLY HEALTHY OR BE IN A GREAT POSITION TO OVERCOME THE POSITION IN WHICH YOU HAVE PUT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I fall on the liberal side of things on many, many issues. But this ultra-left nonsense which ultimately places human beings in a position of taking absolutely no responsibility for themselves or their offspring and blaming EVERYTHING on "the world" or the "food desert" or whatever other pathetic liberal constructs you want to come up with is more of an insult to these people than the one you accuse me of levying. Far more.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
What is cringe-worthy about saying that culture is a thing that influences people? Do you think you'd be the same person making the exact same choices if you'd been raised in Korea?

Because as you noted in your edit, it came off like "those big evil companies are just taking advantage of stupid people! We need to help them!" Deciding to live a healthy lifestyle is not impossible, nor difficult. It's simply a choice that needs to be made. Being poor or rich is irrelevant.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Yeah, it's generally easier to eat unhealthy food than to eat healthy food. A thing being easier than another thing means that more people will choose the easier thing. That doesn't necessarily make them bad people.

I never said it makes them bad people - just lazy.

lazy = lazy

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Because as you noted in your edit, it came off like "those big evil companies are just taking advantage of stupid people! We need to help them!" Deciding to live a healthy lifestyle is not impossible, nor difficult. It's simply a choice that needs to be made. Being poor or rich is irrelevant.

Says the affluent white lawyer.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
words about not believing that white people don't understand poor people

There's no argument to be made that buying fast food five nights a week is cheaper than loading up on produce and planning meals - for anyone.