2005 World Series Ring on EBAY

CWSpalehoseCWS

QUOTE (Carlo Paz @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
One of the responses to the article claims that the ring belonged to (the late) Moose Skowren and that it's part of his estate sale. Makes sense to me.

Yeah, it's gotta be his. All the descriptions fit him, he played in multiple WS with the Yankees.

Reindsorf got rings for nearly everyone associated with the White Sox in 2005, which is awesome. I know a guy that worked in sales then that got one.

QUOTE (soxfan420 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
It's about 15k over priced for a staff ring

Yeah it is. Some guy tried to sell a Miami Heat 2006 ring on an episode of Pawn Stars and all he got was 9k. I wish I could see what the offers were for this ring.

On a side note, I've never been impressed with the design of this ring.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
Couldn't PD mean player development?

We also got rings in the South Atlantic League when the team we worked for (August) won the championship in 2005.

Mine says PR on the side of the ring....that was my job at the time, Director of Stadium Operations and Public Relations.

From the description, one would think it has to be Moose Skowron's. I wonder how much it would be worth if it was Dave Wilder's.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
From the description, one would think it has to be Moose Skowron's. I wonder how much it would be worth if it was Dave Wilder's.

I would say Wilder would be more likely, knowing what we do of his financial situation, but he doesn't fit the criteria of being a former World Series winner with multiple rings like Skowron does.

Maybe something like $4-5,000 if it's Dave Wilder's.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)

Does it really matter whose it is? A WS ring is a WS ring. I wouldn't care if it was a beer vendor's ring.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
Does it really matter whose it is? A WS ring is a WS ring. I wouldn't care if it was a beer vendor's ring.

It would to a collector. Would you rather have a beer vendors ring or Konerko's ring?

"I was in eight World Series, and we won five," said the Chicago native who turns 75 on Dec. 18. Skowron took part in every Fall Classic from 1955 to 1963 except for 1959, when the White Sox were in it. "I have seven rings and a World Series watch."

In a story that apparently has made its way around the White Sox organization a few times, Skowron mentioned he no longer owns the wristwatch. He sold it to a man in Connecticut for $9,000, when his wife wanted to purchase new windows for their home.

"Not a bad deal," said Skowron.

As for the World Series rings, the only one worn by Skowron is from the 1961 Yankees. That squad won the Series in five games, with players such as Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra and Whitey Ford comprising this single-season greatness.

Maris hit his record-breaking 61 home runs that year, and Mantle added 54. Skowron produced a career-high 28 long balls, giving the trio an impressive total of 143. The secret to their success, according to Skowron, was a special liquid refreshment.

"We drank a lot of beer," Skowron said with a laugh. "I've never played on a greater team."

Scott Merkin/chisox.com

PD could also stand for "promotions department," but I would still bet on "player development" over that...

The only other possibility I can think of is Tim Raines, who played for the Yankees in 1996 and 1998, but he would be listed as a coach, not PD, one would guess.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
They had a guy bring in a Braves title ring on PAWN STARS once, and unless it is owned by a player, they aren't worth as much as people thing. That guy asking $25,000 is off his rocker.

If it is the same model the players received, it supposedly cost around $20k to make. It most likely is Moose Skowron's ring, so an extra 5k for the novelty and the name isn't that crazy. It is obviously up for negotiation, but someone with a lot of money might have to have it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)

It is covered up on the ring, but their name is on it. It makes a huge difference in value. I think Babe Ruth's 1927 WS ring went for over $250k. A lesser player or coach with the same ring would fetch far less.

The ring looks fake. I would know as I have held one in my hand. That said, if it is indeed real, then 25K is not a bad price. they supposedly cost 40k a ring t make, but i doubt that, as Jerry had 400+ rings made as well as pendants for wives and girlfriends. i suspect for that big of an order, jostens gave them a nice discount....