The Wussification of America

YASNY

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
I'll take a stab at a more thought out and serious post and watch the points get misconstrued, twisted, and lost :D

"Wussification" would indicated American society is becoming less violent, less physical. I'm not certain that is true. Road rage, serial killings, and overall violence all seem to be increasing, not decreasing. Now, some may see any attempt to stop that (watching how children play, well regulating guns, etc) as unnecessary or a bad thing.

damn gotta go before I finish. Here's the start

I can't speak to road rage and serial killings in particular, but compared to 20 years ago, overall violence is way, way, way down. Violent crimes per 100000 people was at 750 in the early 1990's, it's dropped below 450 in the most recent years. That's nearly a decrease in violent crime by a factor of 2, nationwide, over the last 20 years. About the only type of crime that isn't screaming downwards is gun crime.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
I can't speak to road rage and serial killings in particular, but compared to 20 years ago, overall violence is way, way, way down. Violent crimes per 100000 people was at 750 in the early 1990's, it's dropped below 450 in the most recent years. That's nearly a decrease in violent crime by a factor of 2, nationwide, over the last 20 years. About the only type of crime that isn't screaming downwards is gun crime.

There's a segment in the documentary (which plays more like a serious of short documentaries) Freakonomics where they think the recent drop in violence is in large part explained by Roe v Wade.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
There's a segment in the documentary (which plays more like a serious of short documentaries) Freakonomics where they think the recent drop in violence is in large part explained by Roe v Wade.

I posted this one a couple weeks ago, here's my version; environmental cleanup of lead.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
I'll take a stab at a more thought out and serious post and watch the points get misconstrued, twisted, and lost :D

"Wussification" would indicated American society is becoming less violent, less physical. I'm not certain that is true. Road rage, serial killings, and overall violence all seem to be increasing, not decreasing. Now, some may see any attempt to stop that (watching how children play, well regulating guns, etc) as unnecessary or a bad thing.

damn gotta go before I finish. Here's the start

Tex, I think you just HEAR about it more now thanks to the 24 hour news cycle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
compared to 20 years ago, overall violence is way, way, way down. Violent crimes per 100000 people was at 750 in the early 1990's, it's dropped below 450 in the most recent years. That's nearly a decrease in violent crime by a factor of 2, nationwide, over the last 20 years. About the only type of crime that isn't screaming downwards is gun crime.

exactly. wussification includes the entitlement mentality. people now don't want to work or contribute, they simply want to 'take'. .

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)
exactly. wussification includes the entitlement mentality. people now don't want to work or contribute, they simply want to 'take'. .

While I don't quite agree it's the "wussification" of society, I have observed that we have become an increasingly excuse laden society. We didn't fail because we failed, we failed because of X, Y and Z. When I grew up, losing sucked...so next time we tried really f***ing hard to win. Sadly, sometimes, it resulted in another loss. These days, I'm seeing more of this "there are no losers" bulls*** going on, in academics, in sports, in everything.

Sad news, there are losers. And if you live long enough, you're going to run into more than your fair share.

So strive to be a winner, instead...instead of using every man made excuse society created for you as to why you fail.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
While I don't quite agree it's the "wussification" of society, I have observed that we have become an increasingly excuse laden society. We didn't fail because we failed, we failed because of X, Y and Z. When I grew up, losing sucked...so next time we tried really f***ing hard to win. Sadly, sometimes, it resulted in another loss. These days, I'm seeing more of this "there are no losers" bulls*** going on, in academics, in sports, in everything.

Sad news, there are losers. And if you live long enough, you're going to run into more than your fair share.

So strive to be a winner, instead...instead of using every man made excuse society created for you as to why you fail.

Thank. You.

the whole "everyone gets a trophy" thing is what's spawned this mentality in America. the fact that kids are "too sensitive" to handle criticism is ridiculous.

kids should get in fights. kids should win or lose. kids should deal with crap. that's how they learn.

One commonality amongst all the people who are calling everyone else in society "Wussies"...

Note how it's all just an argument based on how they feel. Note the lack of data.

They know that society must be getting weaker...because they're big time. They're strong. They never need help with anything. And so they have the right to call everyone else out on their failings. And there's totally no positive emotional reaction gained by knowing that you're better than all those other wussies.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
One commonality amongst all the people who are calling everyone else in society "Wussies"...

Note how it's all just an argument based on how they feel. Note the lack of data.

They know that society must be getting weaker...because they're big time. They're strong. They never need help with anything. And so they have the right to call everyone else out on their failings. And there's totally no positive emotional reaction gained by knowing that you're better than all those other wussies.

there's nothing about me that qualifies as "big time". I'm a struggling actor in NYC. lol

also this post is a bit incoherent. you're arguing that the mentality Y2HH and I were talking about doesn't contribute to the problem? this overprotective pampering of kids that's going on these days?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
there's nothing about me that qualifies as "big time". I'm a struggling actor in NYC. lol

also this post is a bit incoherent. you're arguing that the mentality Y2HH and I were talking about doesn't contribute to the problem? this overprotective pampering of kids that's going on these days?

What problem?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)

If you ever watch these early shows of American idol you can see it evident there. All the people who come in there full of self confidence because 'everyone thinks I am a great singer' and then they sound like fingernails on a chalkboard, and can't BELIEVE it when the judges try to politely tell them they suck. They should be thanking these judges for telling them the truth instead of lying to them to save their self esteem or something.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
What problem?

the fact that - beyond the bad economy - kids have grown up to have no idea how to take care of themselves, and as Y2HH said, we've become a country of excuses. the first thing a parent says to a kid that fails? "it's not your fault!"

well... yeah... usually it is.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)

This is my personal observation. These days it seems the default is, "no, not my kids...they'd never!", when the fact is, yes, they would...and probably did.

If you've never failed at anything, it's because you never really tried anything. I know...your not fat because you eat garbage...your fat because, somehow, someway, McDonald's forced you too. Or the people you eat lunch with eat at bad places. I mean, it's not like you have any actual choice.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
the fact that - beyond the bad economy - kids have grown up to have no idea how to take care of themselves, and as Y2HH said, we've become a country of excuses. the first thing a parent says to a kid that fails? "it's not your fault!"

well... yeah... usually it is.

No, the bad economy has nothing to do with that and the suggestion is quite ludicrous.

The bad economy is what happens when the financial industry inflates a $10 trillion dollar bubble based on enormous, systemic fraud and then that bubble implodes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
No, the bad economy has nothing to do with that and the suggestion is quite ludicrous.

The bad economy is what happens when the financial industry inflates a $10 trillion dollar bubble based on enormous, systemic fraud and then that bubble implodes.

He clearly said beyond the bad economy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)

what argument are you having here?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
This is my personal observation. These days it seems the default is, "no, not my kids...they'd never!", when the fact is, yes, they would...and probably did.

If you've never failed at anything, it's because you never really tried anything. I know...your not fat because you eat garbage...your fat because, somehow, someway, McDonald's forced you too. Or the people you eat lunch with eat at bad places. I mean, it's not like you have any actual choice.

And of course, the personal responsibility only falls upon the people you want to heap scorn on, not on the people who spend billions of dollars marketing that crap, getting the taxpayers to subsidize it, and so forth.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
And of course, the personal responsibility only falls upon the people you want to heap scorn on, not on the people who spend billions of dollars marketing that crap, getting the taxpayers to subsidize it, and so forth.

i agree with both sides on this, and both sides are at fault.

stupid people should have more personal responsibility, and the government shouldn't let it be so easy to take advantage of those stupid people.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
i agree with both sides on this, and both sides are at fault.

stupid people should have more personal responsibility, and the government shouldn't let it be so easy to take advantage of those stupid people.

Of course, the one group that we never call on for responsibility are the investors who dismantled the rules about loans, actually dumped tens of trillions of dollars into the loans, then walked away rich after being bailed out by the government.

They're the true heroes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
Of course, the one group that we never call on for responsibility are the investors who dismantled the rules about loans, actually dumped tens of trillions of dollars into the loans, then walked away rich after being bailed out by the government.

They're the true heroes.

again, what argument are you HAVING here?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)

This is the exact kind of excuse making I'm taking about. And it's complete and utter bulls***. I don't care how much money McDonald's spends trying to "force me" to eat their food. I still have the choice to not, regardless of what subsidy. The fact is most people are fat because they want to be, because they're lazy. Because people such as yourself convince them it's not their fault...when it f***ing is.

There are actual people with medical conditions that prevent them from losing weight, and bulls*** like you just spewed diminishes their reality, because you give otherwise normal people who could be healthy if they choose the excuse to blame McDonalds, or the government. An excuse they dont deserve. Allow me the honor to cut through the bulls***. If they want to know why they're actually fat, all they have to do is look in the mirror.

Edited by Y2HH