The Wussification of America

YASNY

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
... and the saddest part: If you actually try to put s*** in perspective you're suddenly an advocate of whatever bad thing it was that tried to put into perspective.

Keep minimizing rape! Which I have no idea why you even brought up in the first place.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Keep minimizing rape! Which I have no idea why you even brought up in the first place.

same reason he brought up gays and AIDS. he needs an outlet for his hatred and bigotry so he veils it as "a comparison"

I'm not minimizing rape, you're just maximizing it.

Turn this around though. Look in the mirror for just a second.

A school disciplines a couple kids for playing in a way that they judge to be something they don't want to have to deal with. A kid gets suspended for slamming another kid into a locker when 10 years ago no one would have said anything. New bridges are built. A kid who otherwise would have died goes to the hospital and the government pays for the treatment.

Those things are not the end of the world. You say yourself that you don't need to mobilize about small stuff...read through the first post of this thread. The very topic of this thread is a person getting outraged about small stuff, about how it is making people "Wussies". Every example you give of some terrible restriction on your rights is getting outraged and trying to mobilize about small stuff.

Every single thing you argue is a slippery slope. Any time the government does any small stuff, you mobilize like it's the end of the world. If you lost your important right to assault rifles, or to carrying a handgun into the city of Chicago, you call it a "gun ban". My argument is the same as yours...it's not the end of the world when a school overacts. It's not the end of the world when a city wants you to keep your guns at home instead of on their streets. It's not the end of the world when we build a new bridge.

These are not stealing your rights.

You missed the point. Let people have some ability to decide their own fate and what happens to them personally. If you're scared of bridges, make an effort to never go over them unless you absolutely have to. Seems like a stupid idea though doesn't it? I mean the chances of you getting killed in a bridge collapse are pretty damn low. But hey, so are your chances of getting shot at a movie theater and nobody seems to call disproportionate responses to preventing that from happening crazy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)

Compared to WW2, it IS minimal. It's called a comparison. I know you know what that is, you just like ignoring things that make your point harder to get across.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Compared to WW2, it IS minimal. It's called a comparison. I know you know what that is, you just like ignoring things that make your point harder to get across.

so ignorant.

to that girl, and that girls family, WW2 pales in comparison. WW2 means jack s*** to anyone who wasn't alive at the time.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
Simply put this is not true at all.

Wow, what a profound point you made. Glad to see you elaborated. Oh wait, you didn't, because simply put, what you said is without thought. You posted this simply to read your own text, much like talking just to hear your own voice.

Simply put, this isn't Nazi Germany, and it's not Iran or some other dictator led country. MOST of our military personal would refuse to turn guns on their own friends and family if ordered to do so unjustly, especially on a mass scale. If you stopped to think about it for a moment, you'd come to that realization. So no, if American pilots were ordered to bomb Chicago, because it's citizens had guns and were attempting to overthrow an obviously corrupt government, 99 out of 100 pilots would tell their leaders to stick their orders up their asses.

Those that have done this sort of thing in the past were sworn to defend their country and it's leaders, and always in dictatorships. Our military is sworn to defend it's country and her citizens, not it's leaders. If you know anyone in the military, ask them if they'd bomb their own citizens if ordered to do so. You probably won't find a single person that will say yes.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
This. How many countries have done exactly that.

And it's funny how Egypt was able to overthrow their government and they have some of the fewest guns per capita in the world.

This isn't Egypt or countries like he's taking about, either. The majority of the us armed forces would not follow orders to open fire on their own citizens that they swore to defend. This is f***ing assanine. The fact you two think that shows how disconnected from actual thought you both are at this point.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
This isn't Egypt or countries like he's taking about, either. The majority of the us armed forces would not follow orders to open fire on their own citizens that they sworn to defend. This is f***ing assanine. The fact you two think that shows how disconnected from actual thought you both are at this point.

Just like thinking the government would call for it is asinine.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)

It was brought up out of the blue. Nobody had any point about rape until Duke started telling us how it isn't that serious.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Just like thinking the government would call for it is asinine.

And I already made a pretty clear post saying I agree with that...at this moment in time. But what about 120 years from now? Exactly.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
If you're scared of bridges, make an effort to never go over them unless you absolutely have to. Seems like a stupid idea though doesn't it?

Yes, that seems like a monumentally stupid idea compared to having engineering and design standards so that people don't have to evaluate the structural integrity of every bridge they cross.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
so ignorant.

to that girl, and that girls family, WW2 pales in comparison. WW2 means jack s*** to anyone who wasn't alive at the time.

Yes, you are so ignorant. Just look at his point and try to not argue about his choice of material to compare. You know what he meant, you are just being a dick in arguing that point. I'm glad that the stopping of the Nazis means nothing to you. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

It was brought up out of the blue. Nobody had any point about rape until Duke started telling us how it isn't that serious.

You're just cherrypicking because my argument made you uncomfortable. I know you dont actually believe the industrialized slaughter of 50 million people in a 6 year span is preferable to one girl being date-raped.

But you are proving my point for me. Addicted to outrage, the truth hurts so you run behind your state-deity hoping to be shielded.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
Yes, you are so ignorant. Just look at his point and try to not argue about his choice of material to compare. You know what he meant, you are just being a dick in arguing that point. I'm glad that the stopping of the Nazis means nothing to you. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

lol, we go from unsolicited and irrelevant "rape isn't as bad as WWII!" to "you don't care about stopping the Nazis!"

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
You're just cherrypicking because my argument made you uncomfortable. I know you dont actually believe the industrialized slaughter of 50 million people in a 6 year span is preferable to one girl being date-raped.

But you are proving my point for me. Addicted to outrage, the truth hurts so you run behind your state-deity hoping to be shielded.

I'm cherrypicking because I don't take you seriously, not because you are making me "uncomfortable."

Not sure where you're seeing outrage, though, or running behind a "state-deity." It's mostly just laughing at this thread as a microcosm of why reactionary conservatism is so terrible.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
And I already made a pretty clear post saying I agree with that...at this moment in time. But what about 120 years from now? Exactly.

120 years fom now for all we know the entire planet could be a nuclear wasteland or a united world exploring other solar systems.

I'm cherrypicking because I don't take you seriously, not because you are making me "uncomfortable."

Not sure where you're seeing outrage, though, or running behind a "state-deity." It's mostly just laughing at this thread as a microcosm of why reactionary conservatism is so terrible.

Dont mock your God like that. Much like religion's God, he can be become very wrathful.

Seriously though, you found one thing to enrage you and then ran with it. Usually it elicits an actual response not this "lol so terrible look at them and laugh with me father government haha lolol".

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
120 years fom now for all we know the entire planet could be a nuclear wasteland or a united world exploring other solar systems.

Exactly the point I'm making. We can't see the future...we can't guess what will happen. Just because none of this is a reality now, doesn't mean it can't become a reality someday.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
No words.

on a personal level, in your every day life, are you constantly affected by WW2?

I'm just saying that on a personal level, being raped is much more impactful than WW2.

but yes, I do see how my hyperbole caused that to be an ironic statement.