Wrigley Field Renovations

lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
The Ricketts have offered to pay the $300 million out of their own pocket, as long as the city eases up restrictions on advertising, night games, concerts, street fests, etc.

The neighborhood has such a stranglehold on the Cubs' nuts it's not even funny.

Is $300 million enough to bring that stadium up to code? (Serious Q?)

$300 million seems a bit optimistic, but I think it is great for the taxpayers. This is going to generate more jobs and more spending meaning more tax revenue, giving the state more money to blow on something else. I hope the get that landmark restriction eased, better yet, take it away completely and let them pay some more property tax.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
$300 million seems a bit optimistic, but I think it is great for the taxpayers. This is going to generate more jobs and more spending meaning more tax revenue, giving the state more money to blow on something else. I hope the get that landmark restriction eased, better yet, take it away completely and let them pay some more property tax.

I'm not sure how... How exactly are you getting more people to go to games out of this?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm guessing Cubs fans hate this, right?

No. The renovation proposals were partially based on fan feedback.

Most real Cubs fans will admit to you that Wrigley is a dump. However, they'd rather keep it and renovate it than have to move elsewhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
I'm not sure how... How exactly are you getting more people to go to games out of this?

I think you are getting more people to spend at Cubs owned properties(the restaurant, hotel, vendors outside the stadium).

It could have a similar but lesser effect as a new stadium does. During their rebuilding process, I'm sure fans would go to a game or two just to see what the updates look like.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
It could have a similar but lesser effect as a new stadium does. During their rebuilding process, I'm sure fans would go to a game or two just to see what the updates look like.

My points is they are already averaging a sellout a night (well a little less in the last year. but a .500 team changes that much quicker than $300 million in out of pocket renovations), who else is going to go?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
My points is they are already averaging a sellout a night (well a little less in the last year. but a .500 team changes that much quicker than $300 million in out of pocket renovations), who else is going to go?

Some of the renovations are strictly for safety issues and for increasing players comfort and luxury, like the batting cages and nicer clubhouses.

While the other renovations may not increase attendance, they can still increase revenue. If you have more & better restaurants, that could lead to fans spending more money in the park. I'm sure that Captain Morgan club brought them business that would have gone to Wrigleyville bars instead. Same could also be said with larger, nicer fan shops. Also, some of the renovations will allow to them to do more advertising, which can be a good spike in revenue. There's also that hotel they are looking to build, not sure if that's specifically part of this renovation.

I got a kick out of hearing this latest development after their clown-show "proposals" that had the city footing the bill for renovations. For as long as they've owned the team, the Ricketts family have just seemed to be in way over their heads.

huhhg0.jpg

Does not inspire.

I do think some of the restrictions they have to work with (when they can and can't play night games) should be eased up. Wrigley is a great place to see a game at night.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

They aren't, but attendance won't slide, and they will have a few more revenue streams. More people will be dropping money at their hotel and on Sheffield if that is closed during game day, and they will be able to bring in more money with new and improved suites. I can't see how the are going to be able to do this for only $300 million, but they really have no choice. Good for them. Ricketts at least should have recognized what everyone who buys a property that old finds out rather quickly, they are money pits. I am sure he is spending millions just keeping it viable. I wonder what impact it will have on the Cubs when this project eventually goes over budget by $100-200 million.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 04:05 AM)
Bottom line, they can't keep playing at Wrigley without major renovations. If Emanuel doesn't allow the restrictions to be removed, I'd just build in the burbs.

Ways to utterly destroy a franchise's value:

1. Hold a public lynching in the outfield.

2. Move out of Wrigley Field to a new ballpark in the northern suburbs

3. Officially adopt as the team slogan "Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:32 AM)
Ways to utterly destroy a franchise's value:

1. Hold a public lynching in the outfield.

2. Move out of Wrigley Field to a new ballpark in the northern suburbs

3. Officially adopt as the team slogan "Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world".

Some of those things probably fly if we're talking soccer franchise overseas.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
The boutique hotel idea next to the park is genius. If you were coming in from out of town its a no brainer.

I've always been surprised how few hotels there are in Chicago outside of downtown. There should be way more lodging options in LakeView & Lincoln Park.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
I've always been surprised how few hotels there are in Chicago outside of downtown. There should be way more lodging options in LakeView & Lincoln Park.

There was a plan to build a hotel on the other side of Addison from Wrigley. That appears like it will be scrapped with the Ricketts' hotel going in. During Cubs homestands, it will be totally booked. Outside of that, pretty empty.