Wrigley Field Renovations

lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
There was a plan to build a hotel on the other side of Addison from Wrigley. That appears like it will be scrapped with the Ricketts' hotel going in. During Cubs homestands, it will be totally booked. Outside of that, pretty empty.

Do you really think it would be empty? I could see plenty of tourists staying there instead of downtown. People come visit friends/family in the area, and they spend more time on the North Side, it would be more convenient than commuting from the Loop.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Do you really think it would be empty? I could see plenty of tourists staying there instead of downtown. People come visit friends/family in the area, and they spend more time on the North Side, it would be more convenient than commuting from the Loop.

I agree. Wrigleyville may be absolutely nuts on gamedays, but it's not like it's a ghost town the rest of the year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)

Especially if they can charge quite a bit more for the days when the Cubs are around, having 81 days of high revenue, high bookings per year is pretty darn good for a hotel.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)

The people whose business it is to know these things says 2 hotels is too many. I don't think the majority of tourists or business travelers are Cubs fans and would want to stay at Clark and Addison rather than on Michigan Ave. Maybe initially you would get a few more than normal, but I believe the novelty would wear off quickly. During Cubs homestands, I can't see there being an empty room.

I dont know how well a hotel would work there. That area is really not family friendly, and I dont know how many 20-30 year olds are coming from out of town to pack a hotel.

There were a few hotels in that area (They are on Sheffield) but they are all entirely run down and/or apartments. I live pretty close to Wrigley and I cant imagine wanting to stay there if I was coming from O'Hare. Because the city does not have any east-west transportation, they would have to either take a cab part of the way, or take the fun blue line to Irving Park then Irving Park bus to Sheffield.

You guys may be right, but I know several non-Cubs game occasions were a friend would have loved to stay near Wrigleyville, but was forced to lodge downtown. I'm not saying it would be a gold mine, but I don't think the hotel would be empty. With all the transplants in the neighborhood, there's people hanging out there who might need a place to stay. Wrigleyville can also be a tourist destination without the Cubs in town. Plus, as Balta said, if you charge a premium when the Cubs are in town, you might be able to even out your losses during the winter months.

There are a few people who would want to be there, but Wrigleyville isnt really any sort of tourist destination. Its basically a s***ty version of State Street or any other college campus main drinking area.

The problem is that there is a busy season (summer) when no one cares about traveling from downtown to see the Cubs and then there is a slow season (winter) when no one cares about staying close to the field.

The hotel itself would have to be unique, maybe a concert venue, indoor water park, something that would draw people besides the Cubs. Because otherwise no one is staying in Wrigleyville to visit Chicago. There just isnt a large enough entertainment district there, college bars are not a travel destination.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
There are a few people who would want to be there, but Wrigleyville isnt really any sort of tourist destination. Its basically a s***ty version of State Street or any other college campus main drinking area.

The problem is that there is a busy season (summer) when no one cares about traveling from downtown to see the Cubs and then there is a slow season (winter) when no one cares about staying close to the field.

The hotel itself would have to be unique, maybe a concert venue, indoor water park, something that would draw people besides the Cubs. Because otherwise no one is staying in Wrigleyville to visit Chicago. There just isnt a large enough entertainment district there, college bars are not a travel destination.

If you were going to a show at the Metro, it might be appealing. One hotel will make enough off baseball season to keep it profitable for the year I would imagine. But I agree, I don't see a big demand to stay in Wrigleyville during baseball's offseason. It's a nice neighborhood, but not a neighborhood that even crosses the typical traveler's mind to visit in the winter, and a boutique Sheraton hotel probably wouldn't change that.

Totally disagree. Its one of the top destinations for tourists to go to in all seasons, yet isnt nearly as reachable since most of them stay in River North. Add 1-2 serious hotels in that area and it will be even busier. There is alot more in wrigleyville/lakeview than college-type bars.

Far more prefer to be groped by the d-bags who hang out at, say, Carol's in uptown than the ones who hang out in Wrigleyville

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
If you were going to a show at the Metro, it might be appealing. One hotel will make enough off baseball season to keep it profitable for the year I would imagine. But I agree, I don't see a big demand to stay in Wrigleyville during baseball's offseason. It's a nice neighborhood, but not a neighborhood that even crosses the typical traveler's mind to visit in the winter, and a boutique Sheraton hotel probably wouldn't change that.

Well that area can get better. If they started actually doing things like having shows at the Riv/Metro/Aragon, etc. I just live there and its garbage most weeknights and weekends. Ive walked my family through the area on Mothers Day, its nice for about 20 minutes and then nothing more to see.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Totally disagree. Its one of the top destinations for tourists to go to in all seasons, yet isnt nearly as reachable since most of them stay in River North. Add 1-2 serious hotels in that area and it will be even busier. There is alot more in wrigleyville/lakeview than college-type bars.

And I disagree. I live in the area. When people come and visit I never take them to Wrigley. Maybe Ill walk past it on Sheffield when going to the Addison Red Line, so that they can look in through the opening on the fence. But otherwise, what exactly am I doing in Wrigleyville?

Dueling piano's at sluggers? That just reminds me of Sluggers in Vernon Hills or the dueling Piano's at Howl.

Maybe its Cubby Bear, wait once again there is a Cubby Bear in Lincolnshire, not exactly unique.

Unless its $20 all you can drink at Redmonds and then karaokee at full shilling, that area does nothing for me. Although on Halloween I did see an amazing fight on the street while I was eating at Pick Me Up Cafe. This guy just started punching a girl in the face (King Hippo Mike Tyson style), then some other guy threw him in the street where he was hit by a car. The fight ended when Blade (bouncer for the Mexican Dance Club) came out and split it up.

(Edit)

And Carol's is fun, but it gets strange. Real strange. Which of course is why I like it.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)
And I disagree. I live in the area. When people come and visit I never take them to Wrigley. Maybe Ill walk past it on Sheffield when going to the Addison Red Line, so that they can look in through the opening on the fence. But otherwise, what exactly am I doing in Wrigleyville?

Every out of towner that comes to Chicago without a friend living in the area wants to see Michigan ave and wrigleyville. Its a tourist attraction which would be even bigger if there was a good hotel.

I think a hotel can work, I just think they would be smart to attach something to the hotel that would also be a draw. Maybe a cubs museum or something stupid. I guess it also depends on how big of a hotel we are talking about. Right now the Cubs own maybe half a block with that McDonalds purchase. They would have to build a parking structure, thats just a lot of space in that area.

I actually dont care, I just want the Cubs to somehow have to do something that benefits me, so that is why I keep pushing for a new concert venue etc. The Cubs are always going to me annoy me as traffic is terrible on weekday games.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
I think a hotel can work, I just think they would be smart to attach something to the hotel that would also be a draw. Maybe a cubs museum or something stupid. I guess it also depends on how big of a hotel we are talking about. Right now the Cubs own maybe half a block with that McDonalds purchase. They would have to build a parking structure, thats just a lot of space in that area.

I actually dont care, I just want the Cubs to somehow have to do something that benefits me, so that is why I keep pushing for a new concert venue etc. The Cubs are always going to me annoy me as traffic is terrible on weekday games.

They keep your property value high.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)

Hotels actually make it easier for local restaurants and business to thrive elevating your property value. This one in particular is going to be a high end boutique which could help with the higher end commercial in the area.

To bad Im a renter because I cant decide where in Chicago I want to live. I prefer North Side, my friends are all moving to 6 corners area.

And if they bring in new stores, I would like that. Just unfortunately Im imagining more wrigleyville trash. Which is just higher prices at crappy bars with poor service.