Tough for Chicago to prove last season's surprising run wasn't

BaseballNick

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
I think you strongly overrate KC and strongly underrate the Sox.

I think KC is a sub .500 team but that doesn't mean the Sox match up well against them. They seem to hit our pitchers pretty well and the Sox have trouble with their journeymen ragarms. Now that they got 2 new starters, can we hit them is the question??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 07:08 AM)
I'm not that impressed when it comes to KC. So many people act like the Sox have all of these huge holes going into 2013... How does KC not have more?

When Sox young players aren't all stars right away, they are and always will be garbage. When its guys like Moustakis and Hosmer doing the same thing, they will only get better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 07:31 AM)
When Sox young players aren't all stars right away, they are and always will be garbage. When its guys like Moustakis and Hosmer doing the same thing, they will only get better.

Hosmer is a good example. Last year he had a .699 OPS, Viciedo was .744. Viciedo is 6 months older, but has about 400 less ABs.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Moustakas just had a 3.5 WAR season. Beckham just had a 0.8 WAR season.

True, but a large part of that is due to Moustakas's glove. I was just referring to their offensive stats. Moose was a bit better last year, but not significantly.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
True, but a large part of that is due to Moustakas's glove. I was just referring to their offensive stats. Moose was a bit better last year, but not significantly.

Indeed, though if you neutralize his defense, he still had a 2 fWAR season. But, your point is taken -- Moustakas has definitely been better offensively, but not drastically better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Hosmer is a good example. Last year he had a .699 OPS, Viciedo was .744. Viciedo is 6 months older, but has about 400 less ABs.

I think most Sox fans are still pretty hopeful Viciedo will be a star. He had some amazing at bats last year, some huge bombs. Beckham, however, has jumped the shark. He has a lot to prove if he wants to be known as anything but an average hitter and great fielder.

I'm not that impressed when it comes to KC. So many people act like the Sox have all of these huge holes going into 2013... How does KC not have more?

Because they don't.

The Sox have big holes at DH, 3B and C. Small holes at 2B and LF. And, an EXTREMELY weak bench. Fourth and fifth starters questionable. Overall bullpen good not great.

Edited by WilburWilhelm

Really?

Yeah, really. Adam Dunn is nothing more than a platoon DH and not a good one at that. Jeff Keppinger wouldn't start at third base for any other team. I'm not sure there is another team in baseball with worse back up outfielders than Jordan Danks and Dewayne Wise with no one in the minors close to ready for 2013.

The backup catcher and infielder are no better. I've never seen a team with less depth. With a few injuries they could be a disaster. There are 3 starting pitchers to count on then question marks.

K.C. definitely has much more depth and fewer holes and better hitters.

QUOTE (WilburWilhelm @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
Yeah, really. Adam Dunn is nothing more than a platoon DH and not a good one at that. Jeff Keppinger wouldn't start at third base for any other team. I'm not sure there is another team in baseball with worse back up outfielders than Jordan Danks and Dewayne Wise with no one in the minors close to ready for 2013.

The backup catcher and infielder are no better. I've never seen a team with less depth. With a few injuries they could be a disaster. There are 3 starting pitchers to count on then question marks.

K.C. definitely has much more depth and fewer holes and better hitters.

I will grant you they need a better backup C and an extra utility player. There's no excuse if they don't address those 2 positions, they can be done so cheaply.

Jeff Keppinger's career OPS would have had him be an average 3b. His career .733 OPS would have been 15th out of 30 teams in 3b OPS last year. For comparison, the White Sox last year got a .600 OPS overall out of 3b, good for 30th out of 30 teams. Keppinger's average season, therefore (not his good year last year) would have been a starter for ~1/2 of MLB.

Adam Dunn could be better, but the White Sox were still in the upper 1/2 of the AL in terms of OPS out of their DH spot, and despite Dunn's low average...were #2 in the AL in runs scored by their DH, so even if he wasn't getting hits, he was getting on base and scoring.

I will grant you they need a better backup C and an extra utility player. There's no excuse if they don't address those 2 positions, they can be done so cheaply.

Jeff Keppinger's career OPS would have had him be an average 3b. His career .733 OPS would have been 15th out of 30 teams in 3b OPS last year. For comparison, the White Sox last year got a .600 OPS overall out of 3b, good for 30th out of 30 teams. Keppinger's average season, therefore (not his good year last year) would have been a starter for ~1/2 of MLB.

Adam Dunn could be better, but the White Sox were still in the upper 1/2 of the AL in terms of OPS out of their DH spot, and despite Dunn's low average...were #2 in the AL in runs scored by their DH, so even if he wasn't getting hits, he was getting on base and scoring.

A discussion about what a pathetic baseball player Adam Dunn is can only begin with watching him fail in in so many game situations that only require a player to make contact to benefit the team. That's why batting him third really hurt the Sox last year. He came up in so many crucial situations and failed far more often than Rios would have.

In addition to that, have you looked at K.C.'s roster? Better talent. Fewer holes.

QUOTE (WilburWilhelm @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
A discussion about what a pathetic baseball player Adam Dunn is can only begin with watching him fail in in so many game situations that only require a player to make contact to benefit the team. That's why batting him third really hurt the Sox last year. He came up in so many crucial situations and failed far more often than Rios would have.

In addition to that, have you looked at K.C.'s roster? Better talent. Fewer holes.

Have you looked at KC's roster? 3 of their starting pitchers had ERA's over 4.75 last year (Chen, Santana, Guthrie). That's some major, major rotation holes. Their 1b put up an OPS of .663, with an OBP that Adam Dunn would think was awful. Both their CF and C had injury problems last year, and their starting RF is Jeff Francoeur. Fewer Holes?

Dunn put up an .809 OPS with 13 HR in innings 7-9. Yes, he wore down late, like a lot of guys on the team. he got on base a ton, scored a ton of runs.

Holy f***, I'm so sick of the trolling and pessimism on this board. People don't have to be overly positive about this team, but for the love of god please support your negative outlooks with some logic, reason, and/or stats.

KC finished 13 games behind us last year. They added one very good SP and two s***ty ones. If you really think KC will win more games than us next year, please go through their roster and our roster and then show us all where their gains and our regressions add up to 13 games. Otherwise, stop with the god damn b****ing and worry about the team ahead of us on paper that is Detroit.

QUOTE (WilburWilhelm @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
Because they don't.

The Sox have big holes at DH, 3B and C. Small holes at 2B and LF. And, an EXTREMELY weak bench. Fourth and fifth starters questionable. Overall bullpen good not great.

And the Royals have guys who were in the BA top 100, so they are winning it all...

Royals have a rotation of James Shields, Wade Davis, Ervin Santana, Jeremy Guthrie, and Hochevar/Chen/Mendoza. That rotation will lead the league in HR's allowed.

They're going to have to find some way to add a #2/3 starter, hope for Hosmer to play up to his potential, and get a good year out of Getz or Giavotella to compete for a WC spot. If that happens, they can finish above the White Sox.

KC beat the Sox head to head last year and STILL finished 13 entire games behind the Sox in the division. Until they figure out how to beat ANYONE else, they're still gonna finish behind the Sox.

Even if that is spots 3 and 4 in the division haha.

Chris Getz is starting at 2B. Jeff Francouer in RF. Lorenzo Cain was average and hurt last year. Alcides Escobar somehow managed to hit .290 while striking out more and walking less. I happen to really like Alex Gordon, Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer, Billy Butler, and even Salvador Perez, but, as far as I'm concerned, the Royals have 4 pretty big question marks and/or holes in their lineup. Their rotation is incredibly mediocre.

But, they do have a great bullpen which is something the White Sox don't OH NEVERMIND

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Holy f***, I'm so sick of the trolling and pessimism on this board. People don't have to be overly positive about this team, but for the love of god please support your negative outlooks with some logic, reason, and/or stats.

KC finished 13 games behind us last year. They added one very good SP and two s***ty ones. If you really think KC will win more games than us next year, please go through their roster and our roster and then show us all where their gains and our regressions add up to 13 games. Otherwise, stop with the god damn b****ing and worry about the team ahead of us on paper that is Detroit.

thank you, it really gotten out of control here lately, just a bunch of antagonists with nothing to back up their claims.

:headbang

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)

Thank you.

KC made one big add, and has a few young players who could mature into bigger hitters.... they also have a rotation that is medicore overall, and weaker in the back than almost any in baseball, and still have a number of huge holes in the lineup. The Sox got a 3B who is very likely to be an upgrade over what they got in 2012 full season, get Danks back, and other than at catcher have what looks to me like a better bench so far.

Is it possible KC beats out the Sox? Yeah. Likelihood? About 1 chance in 10, at best.