Tough for Chicago to prove last season's surprising run wasn't

BaseballNick

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Eh...we need bench help still, not just catcher, a utility guy would be really useful.

Maybe as a guy who can put on a glove and stand in a number of different spots around the field - a guy like Kelly Johnson perhaps. Otherwise, I think Angel Sanchez has it locked down just fine.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
Maybe as a guy who can put on a glove and stand in a number of different spots around the field - a guy like Kelly Johnson perhaps. Otherwise, I think Angel Sanchez has it locked down just fine.

Serious Q, can you give me a good reason to have confidence that Angel Sanchez will be a solid addition?

Basically, I'm thinking back to last year, how bad our bench wound up being (particularly after Escobar was traded), how it wound up with Robin having no confidence in it, and how that probably contributed to guys wearing down at the end of the season. I mean, .240 average, sub.600 OPS last year isn't a hard sell, so can you tell me he'll be any better than that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
Serious Q, can you give me a good reason to have confidence that Angel Sanchez will be a solid addition?

Basically, I'm thinking back to last year, how bad our bench wound up being (particularly after Escobar was traded), how it wound up with Robin having no confidence in it, and how that probably contributed to guys wearing down at the end of the season. I mean, .240 average, sub.600 OPS last year isn't a hard sell, so can you tell me he'll be any better than that?

His entire purpose is to play defense. If he can bring it with the glove, he can hit .200. I had no problem with Escobar doing this, and I had no problem with Hudson doing this (once that became his role).

I'm with wite, Angel Sanchez isn't a bad guy for that role.

Current bench:

Angel Sanchez (3B, SS, 2B)

Hector Gimenez ©

Dewayne Wise (all OF)

I think those three are pretty good for what they are supposed to be... but I would love the Sox to find a way to get another LHH infielder in there, and I do think they'll find someone like that. I feel pretty good about Gimenez, as backup C's go, and Wise is pretty good as the OF. Sanchez won't hit a ton but doesn't need to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)

I think you may have the chicken-egg relationship backwards here. Part of the reason the bench bats did so poorly is that Robin didn't play them enough - that was, IMO, one of Ventura's biggest mistakes last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
I think you may have the chicken-egg relationship backwards here. Part of the reason the bench bats did so poorly is that Robin didn't play them enough - that was, IMO, one of Ventura's biggest mistakes last year.

I could have believed that when Escobar was the primary backup, but by the end of the season, who did you want in there? Jose Lopez or Roy "I can't run to first" Olmedo?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
Is it possible KC beats out the Sox? Yeah. Likelihood? About 1 chance in 10, at best.

Completely agree with this. The Royals' starting pitching is not very good outside of Shields, so to have any chance to overtake us next year, they need to find a way to score a lot more runs. IMO, that starts with Hosmer & Moustakas both producing at All-Star levels. If that doesn't happen, I don't see how they have any chance of making up 13 wins against us, even if the Sox regress some next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
I could have believed that when Escobar was the primary backup, but by the end of the season, who did you want in there? Jose Lopez or Roy "I can't run to first" Olmedo?

Lopez, Flowers, Hudson and even Johnson should have all played more, IMO. Forget Olmedo, he was useless.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)

I felt this all year long. It was one of the things that Ozzie did better than Robin.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 11:04 PM)
Here's the Tigers Preview from Yahoo... Also done by Passan

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no--7-tigers-...-001753162.html

I was pretty much with him until he said the Tigers had the best rotation in the division "by a long shot". You can argue that their rotation is better than the Sox', but not by a whole lot.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
I was pretty much with him until he said the Tigers had the best rotation in the division "by a long shot". You can argue that their rotation is better than the Sox', but not by a whole lot.

I'll give him that, at least on paper. The Sox have a ton more question marks in their rotation when you count durability. The Tigers top 3 have a much longer history of reliability.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)
I'll give him that, at least on paper. The Sox have a ton more question marks in their rotation when you count durability. The Tigers top 3 have a much longer history of reliability.

Plus, the Justin Verlander factor gives them such an advantage. When you have a SP who is all but guaranteed to give you 225+ innings of Cy Young caliber pitching, that is huge.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
Plus, the Justin Verlander factor gives them such an advantage. When you have a SP who is all but guaranteed to give you 225+ innings of Cy Young caliber pitching, that is huge.

The amazing thing is, Chris Sale has a legit shot at outpitching him. High quality stuff...from the left hand side. The difference is...Verlander's done the innings before. If the Sox hadn't put Sale in the bullpen for a season and hung another 150 innings on his arm in 2011, where last year's load wasn't such a huge jump, I could be thinking the other way.

I knew I would be, but I'm already on the ANYONE but the Tigers to win the division bandwagon. Based on that BJ of an article and I'm sure the many other to come.

Also, still plenty of class on that team even without Valverde and Young. Makes you root against them....