Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
HuffPost Media ‏@HuffPostMedia

Katie Couric says she found some of Manti Te'o's story 'sketchy' http://huff.to/11U77wr

That is an incorrect characterization of what she said

Katie Couric told an ESPN radio show on Tuesday that she believed Manti Te'o was the victim, not the perpetrator, of a hoax -- but that he felt "trapped" once he learned that his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, was fake.

She called the sitdown "incredibly candid and compelling," and said that she had tried to be "persistent" and "appropriately skeptical" about the parts of Te'o's story that she found "sketchy."

"I think I treated him respectfully, while questioning some of the inconsistencies and the way that he portrayed the situation," she said, adding that the big issue was "what did he know, when did he know it and what did he do about it."

Host Cowherd said that he thought Te'o had definitely been duped, but that he had perpetuated the myth out of embarrassment. Couric said she agreed.

"He did have an opportunity to say something earlier but he felt sort of trapped by this narrative that, let's face it, was incredibly compelling and elevated his stature to a whole new level," she said. "I thought he seemed like a sweet and very naive young man."

It's amazing all the different ways that people try to say someone lied without using those exact words. Not chaing the narrative in order to let the hype grow is pathetic, and I feel bad for someone like Jarvis Jones who really did suffer horrific tragedy in his life and didn't win any awards due to the Te'o hype.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
It's amazing all the different ways that people try to say someone lied without using those exact words. Not chaing the narrative in order to let the hype grow is pathetic, and I feel bad for someone like Jarvis Jones who really did suffer horrific tragedy in his life and didn't win any awards due to the Te'o hype.

I guess I'm different because I don't care. I think I would have been better than T'eo at minimizing the discussion and avoiding the topic, but I'm much older and smarter than I was when I was 22. Not sure how I would have handled it then, except that you're damned right I would have lied/embellished/tailored/etc too! I would today in that situation. I'm not going to stop and announce to the world that I'm a dumb ass and got duped. I'm going to play along (and like I said before, try to get the topic to fade as quickly as possible).

I think he felt boxed into a corner and didn't know how to get out. Personally, I think at this point it is all about his personal life and beyond the initial fascination with the story, I could care less about the details.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I just wish he would be honest for once. Its clear he is still lying. You dont sit on a phone call for hours at a time with someone who is disguising their voice. You would pick up on this after awhile, its not that difficult. And the fake phone records say there were 100's of these? I mean come on. That would be the most elaborate scheme ever.

Just come out with the truth, be honest that it was all bulls*** becuase you are gay, wanted the publicity, whatever so this story can f***ing die. You can then file this away with the gipper and Rudy in Notre Dame fiction folklore.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
I just wish he would be honest for once. Its clear he is still lying. You dont sit on a phone call for hours at a time with someone who is disguising their voice. You would pick up on this after awhile, its not that difficult. And the fake phone records say there were 100's of these? I mean come on. That would be the most elaborate scheme ever.

Just come out with the truth, be honest that it was all bulls*** becuase you are gay, wanted the publicity, whatever so this story can f***ing die. You can then file this away with the gipper and Rudy in Notre Dame fiction folklore.

Then again, it's really no one's business. You and everyone else can choose to believe him or not. But he doesn't owe anyone anything.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 12:37 AM)
Then again, it's really no one's business. You and everyone else can choose to believe him or not. But he doesn't owe anyone anything.

So you think nothing in an athlete's personal life is anyone's business? If so, I completely disagree with you.

This country already has a problem with accountability and when high-profile celebrities straight-up lie to the American public's face, it only adds fuel to the fire. No one is saying he committed a crime and no one is saying he deserves to go to hell for this. But Manti should man up and admit the whole truth. I get the initial reaction is to lie, but he just looks a bumbling idiot who can't get his story straight right now and the coverup is always worse crime (if and when it finally comes out).

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 12:37 AM)

The problem with that is he made it other people's business.

He continued this lie to keep his name in the headlines, and to continue this story.

The biggest part of this is when they asked him the biggest tragedy he overcame, and after knowing his GF was fake, he referred to that story. Not his grandma dying, but continuing this story because people were eating it up.

That being said, i've grown tired of this story. His interviews are bs, they ask him questions, but don't follow up on the questionable answers, every report that comes out contradicts the last...

Eventually the true story will come out and then I'll be interested to hear about it, but until I hear different I'll still think of him as a liar, and someone who kept up a bulls*** lie to keep himself in the headlines.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
There's obviously been a lot of good tweets abou teo since this whole ordeal got started but I just heard this one and it made me laugh..."how low do you think Teo's awareness rating will be in Madden?"

That's solid